Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Use AA arranged BLADE helicopter to your JFK or LAX flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use AA arranged BLADE helicopter to your JFK or LAX flight.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by J S
I have never really understood the helicopter from Manhattan to JFK except in very limited circumstances. Unless your office is extremely close to the downtown heliport, the time involved to take a car to the heliport (30+ minutes from midtown), a brief wait before your flight (5+ minutes), the short flight (5 minutes), and then a car from the helipad to the terminal at the airport (20 minutes according to the blade site) surely leaves you with very limited savings in time versus just taking a car door-to-door. Unless we are talking about someone who lives or works very close to the helipad, I just don't see this being must more than a status symbol since it probably takes a hour from midtown to the terminal.
In the 2000s, either AA or DL offered a helicopter link from Manhattan where passengers cleared TSA security in Manhattan and the helicopter landed airside at JFK. In a pre-Pre era, that would have been appealing as well.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
1977 the helicopter from JFK carrying 20 passengers arrived at the top of PanAm Building (current Met Life Building). During short turn around at the top of PanAm Building the helicopter rolled over (one of landing gear failed) resulted in fatality.

May 16, 1977 New York Airways flight 971
...and this was dramatized in the 1978 motion picture "Superman." Margot Kidder as Lois Lane plays the role of a near-fatality from the top of the tower as the helicopter misses its mark.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:32 pm
J S

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
In the 2000s, either AA or DL offered a helicopter link from Manhattan where passengers cleared TSA security in Manhattan and the helicopter landed airside at JFK. In a pre-Pre era, that would have been appealing as well.
I remember that and agree: that makes a lot more sense. I also remember arriving at JFK as a kid on TWA. As I recall, F class (or "Royal Ambassador" as they called it) pax were offered a helicopter transfer into Manhattan.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC TWA offered something like this too. There was also helicopter service between LGA and JFK back in the 1970s and it was free if you were changing airports in connection with most international flights (even in coach). Those choppers flew over the old World's Fair grounds.
Reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode where the plane goes back in time and flies over the World's Fair
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by J S
I have never really understood the helicopter from Manhattan to JFK except in very limited circumstances. Unless your office is extremely close to the downtown heliport, the time involved to take a car to the heliport (30+ minutes from midtown), a brief wait before your flight (5+ minutes), the short flight (5 minutes), and then a car from the helipad to the terminal at the airport (20 minutes according to the blade site) surely leaves you with very limited savings in time versus just taking a car door-to-door. Unless we are talking about someone who lives or works very close to the helipad, I just don't see this being must more than a status symbol since it probably takes a hour from midtown to the terminal.
Blade has 2 heliports in Manhattan, the E34th location is not that far from midtown and the times I've used it has never taken 30+ mins to get there but if you are leaving midtown at a time where it would take you 30 mins from midtown (which is certainly possible depending on when you leave) then you're also leaving at a time where a car from midtown would take considerably longer to get to JFK. Considering an UberBlack can run $200+ to/from JFK/Midtown and take well over an hour at peak times, Blade Bounce is a awesome service especially if you can get a seat on one of the scheduled flights for $195 its a no-brainer IMO. Now I wouldn't buy it from AA and pay for 5* plus whatever they are charing for Blade but on its own Blade is a great time saver.
krakendown and Pasqualle7 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Centurion
PanAm offered this service for free. I am not that old.
Well, by your own admission, you are at least 100.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
Blade has 2 heliports in Manhattan, the E34th location is not that far from midtown and the times I've used it has never taken 30+ mins to get there but if you are leaving midtown at a time where it would take you 30 mins from midtown (which is certainly possible depending on when you leave) then you're also leaving at a time where a car from midtown would take considerably longer to get to JFK. Considering an UberBlack can run $200+ to/from JFK/Midtown and take well over an hour at peak times, Blade Bounce is a awesome service especially if you can get a seat on one of the scheduled flights for $195 its a no-brainer IMO. Now I wouldn't buy it from AA and pay for 5* plus whatever they are charing for Blade but on its own Blade is a great time saver.
I still remember that TWA in the 80s (yes, I am this old....) offered it for free on F tickets (used a lot of TWA/JAL combination RTWs back then). JFK to E34street heliport. I still remember that quite often it did not work out (weather, helicopter broke down....) and had to take a car anyway. It was fun, but not a timesaver. By the time your heli finally took off from JFK you would have been almost downtown already.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
What about ATL?, driving to the airport from North Roswell for a morning departure can take up to almost 90 mins
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
What about ATL?, driving to the airport from North Roswell for a morning departure can take up to almost 90 mins
There are far more wealthy people trying to get between Manhattan and JFK than there are trying to get between ATL and North Roswell.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:13 pm

where's the BLADE helipad at LAX? it is on Imperial Highway by the Private Suite?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Also American Airlines Partners With BLADE and The Private Suite for an Ultra-Lux Experience by JT Genter on The Points Guy blog. Link

This is available for departure or arrival at LAX and JFK and can be packaged with Five Star Service and Flagship First Check-in.

SFO Helicopter Airways offered San Francisco Bay Area flights to those those connecting to or from SFO or OAK from several Bay Area locations. I used them a couple of times to connect quickly between SFO and OAK. Nothing really innovative for AA or JFK, but certainly another service AA can offer its highest flyers.
I vaguely remember taking this or the equivalent decades ago. I couldn't tell you when, what airline, or which directions any more.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Yep! I took this from the Admirals Club in the JFK T8 satellite back in the summer of 2006:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.