FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   New Stroller policy: "to 20 lb / 9 kg" - enforcement? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1956849-new-stroller-policy-20-lb-9-kg-enforcement.html)

LPCJr Jun 24, 2016 6:36 am

New Stroller policy: "to 20 lb / 9 kg" - enforcement?

Anyone have any experience with the relatively new AA stroller policy? It says that they will only gate check small strollers up to 20 pounds.

We have twins and use a Maclaren double stroller. For what it is, it is one of the smaller, more compact, and lighter double strollers out there. But it is still a double stroller, and it is most definitely over 20 pounds. My wife is very concerned about having to transit through PHL without having a stroller to put the twins in. If I take it all the way to the gate, am I likely to be given a problem gate checking it? It was not a problem in the past, but the policy never previously called out an explicit weight limit.

JDiver Jun 24, 2016 7:49 am

I'm guessing whether or not your Maclaren double stroller is accepted or not might depend on two things: actual stroller weight (the Maclaren Twin Triumph weighs 23 lb / 10.5 kg) and how much of a stickler the agent is.

IMO, but not experience other than casual observation at many gates, you'll likely be fine. In a case where the gate agent has the time and is a stickler, they will most likely follow the stated rules and gate check your stroller as they would excessively large baggage or baggage that exceeds the aircraft bin capacity. Those can exceed 40 lb / 18 kg.

rasheed Jun 24, 2016 6:52 pm

The umbrella stroller only at the gate is not a new policy and goes back at least a year. What is more recent is the weight descriptions for the gate versus check-in stroller rules.

FWIW, people want their stroller to the gate and the older umbrella policy was rarely enforced. I can't say if the new policy would be enforced. It has been hard for the airline to manage the 'massive' strollers, but as long as they have to deal with power scooters, personal wheelchairs and other assisting devices, I can't see this being heavily enforced unless an agent really was trying hard.

It would be easy to provide an explanation on why you need the stroller at boarding or arrival. Of note, I believe you have to still remove the kids from the stroller to go through security. It is preferred by the TSA that the stroller go through the scanner, but likely won't fit and will have to be checked manually. Further, I have not seen on arrival if they would refuse to bring it up for a gate collection if the stroller was 'overweight', but it seems like they have the right to deliver it to oversized baggage claim if they so desire.

I also tend not to think highly of the durability of the strollers through the gate baggage process and would recommend using two cheap umbrella strollers versus the fancier double one, but I think you are not interested in that option anyway.

This is also yet another example of AA being able to create so many new policies on the fly, but leaves a lot of bad issues untouched (intentionally or not).

Rasheed

ThreeJulietTango Jun 24, 2016 8:56 pm

The 20-pound weight limit goes back to at least three years ago, but enforcement has stepped up recently concurrent with the crackdown on carry-on baggage. As always, some stations are stricter than others, but I can say with relative certainty that such a stroller would not be allowed at MIA. PHL has the "orange shirts" who seem to take issue even with compliant items, so it may not be worth the risk.

DaveInLA Feb 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Flying with infant in AA regional carrier— lap infant and gate check stroller?

My family is flying on a 100 min flight from ORF to LGA on an AA regional carrier in May; our baby will be 14 months at the time. Our plan is to carry her as a lap infant and gate-check the stroller (Uppababy Vista and car seat). The ideal time flies an ERJ140 (1-2 arrangement), but a flight 1 hr later uses a CRJ200 (2-2). Which would be better for a lap infant? And will gate-checking in the stroller be a problem in these regional jets?

econometrics Feb 18, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 30791206)
My family is flying on a 100 min flight from ORF to LGA on an AA regional carrier in May; our baby will be 14 months at the time. Our plan is to carry her as a lap infant and gate-check the stroller (Uppababy Vista and car seat). The ideal time flies an ERJ140 (1-2 arrangement), but a flight 1 hr later uses a CRJ200 (2-2). Which would be better for a lap infant? And will gate-checking in the stroller be a problem in these regional jets?

Gate checking the stroller is not a problem at all.

Fly the E140, for SURE. The CRJ2 is about the worst possible airline flying commercial passengers today.

KBMIFlyer Feb 18, 2019 8:37 am

If there are two of you flying plus a baby, there is very little difference between the 2 seat side of an ERJ-140 and a CRJ-200. I do agree with the above poster that the ERJ-140 is a little more comfortable.

Yes, you can gate check a stroller and a car seat. Gate checking is very normal on ERJ's and CRJ's as the overhead bins are very small, so most roller-boards are gate checked.

GalleyWench Feb 18, 2019 10:24 am

As long as your stroller weighs less than 20 pounds you can gate check it. If it’s over 20 you’ll need to check it in at the ticket counter.

TribalistMeathead Feb 18, 2019 10:44 am

You can gate-check the stroller or the car seat, but not both. If it were me, I'd check both at the ticket counter and plan to carry the baby through ORF and LGA in a body carrier. If you gate-check the stroller, there's no guarantee it'll be at the airplane door on arrival, and ORF and LGA are small airports (we've carried our 7-month-old through ORD and DFW with no issues).

For the love of God, fly the E140.

​​

Redhead Feb 18, 2019 11:07 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead (Post 30793117)
You can gate-check the stroller or the car seat, but not both. If it were me, I'd check both at the ticket counter and plan to carry the baby through ORF and LGA in a body carrier. If you gate-check the stroller, there's no guarantee it'll be at the airplane door on arrival, and ORF and LGA are small airports (we've carried our 7-month-old through ORD and DFW with no issues).

For the love of God, fly the E140.

​​

not true. I have gate checked both multiple times on both domestic and international flights

TribalistMeathead Feb 18, 2019 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Redhead (Post 30793226)

not true. I have gate checked both multiple times on both domestic and international flights

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...g-children.jsp ("If you have a stroller and a car seat only 1 can be checked at the gate"). You might have gotten lucky a bunch of times, and this may only apply if you're flying with an infant by yourself, but they could choose to enforce this policy in the future.

Redhead Feb 19, 2019 9:03 am

My child has not been a lap child when I've done it so it may be that I gate checked one and she gate checked the other

thunderlounge Feb 19, 2019 9:21 am

Gate check: check at gate, pick up at baggage claim at your final destination.

Valet check: drop off on jet bridge (or outside aircraft stairs), and pick up on jet bridge (or outside aircraft.)

Big difference between the two. A car seat should be checked through for a lap child. A stroller might be better valet checked.

IADCAflyer Feb 19, 2019 9:24 am

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 30792435)
Gate checking the stroller is not a problem at all.

Fly the E140, for SURE. The CRJ2 is about the worst possible airline flying commercial passengers today.

Gate checked or valet cheked?

GrumpyYoungMan Feb 19, 2019 12:41 pm

As suggested earlier, check both at the counter and strap the kid to your chest/back - so much easier to navigate airports that way. Those bulky strollers/carriers/seats are tons more cumbersome than it's worth to have airside, not to mention at TSA checkpoint.