Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Stroller policy: "to 20 lb / 9 kg" - enforcement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Stroller Policy

aa.com -> Home –> Special assistance -> Traveling With Children Link

Strollers

• Each ticketed customer is allowed 1 stroller and 1 car seat to be checked free of charge

• Strollers over 20 lbs / 9 kgs must be checked at the ticket counter

• All other strollers should be checked at the gate before boarding

• If you have a stroller and a car seat only 1 can be checked at the gate
Print Wikipost

New Stroller policy: "to 20 lb / 9 kg" - enforcement?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Gate check: check at gate, pick up at baggage claim at your final destination.

Valet check: drop off on jet bridge (or outside aircraft stairs), and pick up on jet bridge (or outside aircraft.)

Big difference between the two. A car seat should be checked through for a lap child. A stroller might be better valet checked.
This is an important distinction, and I had not considered the fact that the OP was traveling on Eagle. I still recommend checking both at the ticket counter, but at least there's a close to 100% chance that the stroller or car seat would be at the gate on arrival (I could've sworn I've heard stories about bags checked planeside being sent to baggage claim).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
As suggested earlier, check both at the counter and strap the kid to your chest/back - so much easier to navigate airports that way. Those bulky strollers/carriers/seats are tons more cumbersome than it's worth to have airside, not to mention at TSA checkpoint.
Plus you can just leave the infant in the carrier when you go through security (at least with PreCheck, unsure about general security).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:57 am

When I said “gate check”, I really meant “valet check”.

So it seems the terms will only allow us to check either stroller or car seat, not both. But my wife and I will each have a ticket; can we not say that we are each checking in 1 piece?

I’ve flown AA once with this set up and they let us valet check both. But we were in 3 cabin F, if that makes a difference.

Regarding using a baby carrier, my wife and I will each be carrying heavy carry ons or backpacks, so that’ll be difficult.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Redhead
My child has not been a lap child when I've done it so it may be that I gate checked one and she gate checked the other
correction. I Valet checked both
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
When I said “gate check”, I really meant “valet check”.

So it seems the terms will only allow us to check either stroller or car seat, not both. But my wife and I will each have a ticket; can we not say that we are each checking in 1 piece?

I’ve flown AA once with this set up and they let us valet check both. But we were in 3 cabin F, if that makes a difference.

Regarding using a baby carrier, my wife and I will each be carrying heavy carry ons or backpacks, so that’ll be difficult.

yes you can both valet check one item. You’ll be fine.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:46 am
Suspended

Has AA changed its stroller policy?

AA used to have specific language on its website that allowed strollers on board if it met carry on dimensions. This seems to have disappeared. Has there been a policy change? Any recent experiences?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Seems to be checkin only.
  • Strollers over 20 lbs / 9 kgs must be checked at the ticket counter
  • All other strollers should be checked at the gate before boarding

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...g-children.jsp
FAA1996 and JDiver like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Get a GB PockIt stroller - it'll fit under your seat, and it's easy to get through TSA. You'll never travel with a bulky stroller again.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:15 am
Suspended

Get a GB PockIt stroller - it'll fit under your seat, and it's easy to get through TSA. You'll never travel with a bulky stroller again.
We have a Yo-yo. Same concept. Last time we traveled AA and UA on a trip AA had a clear policy of allowing such strollers on board. UA was the opposite though we got away with it. In the UA has changed to allow them while AA has seemingly changed the policy to require checking of all strollers...
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Dissenting view: I was the type to check as much as possible at the counter including all strollers, bags etc & carry nothing on but the child & a knapsack. '
Check as much crap as you can (fill the stroller bag if you have one). This gives you more arms to manage the kids.
Never had a problem carrying the kiddies through the airport, provided I had nothing else to push or weighing me down.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by PGFlyer85
We have a Yo-yo. Same concept. Last time we traveled AA and UA on a trip AA had a clear policy of allowing such strollers on board. UA was the opposite though we got away with it. In the UA has changed to allow them while AA has seemingly changed the policy to require checking of all strollers...
If you board with it already folded, most GAs don't know what it is.

We had no issues back in June with it. We'll see if there are changes this weekend.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have any recent information on this?

My wife and I are traveling with our 2 yo triplets next month. Since the direct LHR-BNA has been canned, we get to go through ORD. We are planning on taking 2 umbrella buggies (strollers) – a single and a double MacLaren. The double is 10.5kg, I think. So we’ll come into T5 at ORD, from the wording on the BA site, it’s hard to know whether we’d get it back at the gate or whether we’d have to go to the carousel after immigration. The bigger concern for me is being able to have it for the terminal transfer and then while we wait airside for the connection to BNA. Would there be any issue getting it through security at T3? I guess so long as we can do that, they will just check it at the gate anyway.

On the return, we’d definitely want it at ORD again. I would hope they wouldn’t check it through to LHR!

Last edited by gustavmahler; Sep 14, 2021 at 4:10 am
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Def looking at the GB Pockit stroller for our needs.

Were you able to bring it (when folded up) into the cabin? It seems so from your comments.
Was it as 1 of your designated carry-ons?
Or in addition to carry-on + personal item?

We have a tight MIA connection in the spring w/ a lap infant.... don't want to have to gate check/valet check a stroller unless we have to.
I don't mind sacrificing a carry-on bag for the ability to get the stroller on board w/o the gate check run-around.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have any recent information on this?

My wife and I are traveling with our 2 yo triplets next month. Since the direct LHR-BNA has been canned, we get to go through ORD. We are planning on taking 2 umbrella buggies (strollers) – a single and a double MacLaren. The double is 10.5kg, I think. So we’ll come into T5 at ORD, from the wording on the BA site, it’s hard to know whether we’d get it back at the gate or whether we’d have to go to the carousel after immigration. The bigger concern for me is being able to have it for the terminal transfer and then while we wait airside for the connection to BNA. Would there be any issue getting it through security at T3? I guess so long as we can do that, they will just check it at the gate anyway.

On the return, we’d definitely want it at ORD again. I would hope they wouldn’t check it through to LHR!
I wouldn't sweat the weight. What matters is that it must fit through TSA's xray. I don't have any experience with doubles, maybe they do, maybe not.

Originally Posted by jtav559
Def looking at the GB Pockit stroller for our needs.

Were you able to bring it (when folded up) into the cabin? It seems so from your comments.
Was it as 1 of your designated carry-ons?
Or in addition to carry-on + personal item?

We have a tight MIA connection in the spring w/ a lap infant.... don't want to have to gate check/valet check a stroller unless we have to.
I don't mind sacrificing a carry-on bag for the ability to get the stroller on board w/o the gate check run-around.
Highly recommend the GB Pockit. We got it for our 15 month old when he was 5 or 6 months old and it has been a total game changer (we've done about 75 flights with him). We got a thin carry bag to put it in so that it isn't obviously a stroller... just in case, for those CRJ flights where FAs seemingly selectively say no wheeled luggage period... it folds up very small and the handful of gate agents who have seen it have been very complimentary of it. (Note: people seem to be familiar with the concept of Yoyos folding up small, so, especially overseas, we've found that saying "it's like a yoyo" has been met with understanding when we have declined to check or gate-check it.)

Also never had trouble bringing it in addition to carry on and personal item.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Thx platbrownguy for the info!

Yes, that stroller looks like a winner. Glad to hear it works well for travel and is seemingly AA cabin friendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.