Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

An earlier flight was delayed; switch or stick with original?

Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

I've encountered this a few times: get to airport early, find that another, earlier flight to my destination has been delayed and hasn't left yet. The earlier flight seems like it will leave before mine. Space available (equivalent seat) to switch. Should I move to the earlier flight?
Once I switched and lost- the crew on the earlier flight timed out and it was cancelled (after my original flight left). Another time I got lucky and switched to what turned out to be the last flight out that night.
Now I'm sitting in PHX waiting for a ground stop to be lifted at ORD. I switched, but the original one is boarding and the earlier one hasnt started boarding. Neither has left the gate.
anyone have any rules of thumb for this?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
II's an easy process. Just look in your crystal ball and see which option turns out better and take that. If you've left the crystal ball at home, it's a toss up and no way to predict.
donotblink and chitink like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Theres no pat answer because of too many variables. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Other factors like upgrades come into consideration.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I agree with Often1

What I've learned in these situations is make the best decision with the information you have, and don't look back.

I was about to switch to an earlier (mechanically delayed) flight last month, but decided against it due to a gut feeling. That flight ended up leaving later than my original one, so it all worked out.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It can help to know why the flight is delayed and, if it's not parked at the gate yet, where it is and also where the aircraft is supposed to go next, after your flight. Often larger aircraft are more likely to be able to fly in severe weather. Sometimes you can guess whether crew availability will become an issue, although of course the airline can always decide to cannibalize crew (or an aircraft) from another flight.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Had this dilemma a number of times. Some of the factors I consider...
  • Am I in F on the original flight?
  • What kind of seat can I get on the earlier flight? Can I get into F? How long is the flight? (The shorter the flight the more willing I am to take a bad seat.)
  • Why is the earlier flight delayed? Weather at its origin that will not affect the remainder of the trip? ATC delay at the destination that may end up affecting your flight too? Mechanical delay? Check OIS and the flight status notes on ExpertFlyer. (And never switch to a flight with a mechanical delay unless the problem has just been cleared and they are about to close the door.)
  • Probability that my original flight will leave on time? Is it at the gate or in the air with an ETA that will allow an adequate turn time? (AA is notorious for posting flights as on-time when it's pretty obvious they won't be.)
  • Will I be able to get on the earlier flight early enough to stow a bag? (I got onto an earlier DFW-AUS flight only to be told at boarding that the bins were full and I'd have to check my bag, which added delays at the other end that almost fully negated my time savings.)
fotographer and neo_781 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Among the unknown variables is if the crew of the first (delayed) flight is at risk of timing-out.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
II's an easy process. Just look in your crystal ball and see which option turns out better and take that. If you've left the crystal ball at home, it's a toss up and no way to predict.
Which brand of crystal ball are you using? Do you like yours? Im trying to find one that fits in my Rimowa carry-on!
fotographer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I've benefited from this in the past when the earlier flight was so delayed that AA offered miles as a goodwill gesture to everyone on the flight, even those of us who used it to arrive home earlier than originally scheduled.

My general gut feeling tells me that since AA couldn't possibly lie more about delay timeframes, especially when it comes to MX, I'll only get on the earlier flight if it's currently (or truly about to start) boarding.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Unfortunately, this isn't like the Monty Hall problem where switching is always the right choice.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by orville nmn wright
I've encountered this a few times: get to airport early, find that another, earlier flight to my destination has been delayed and hasn't left yet. The earlier flight seems like it will leave before mine. Space available (equivalent seat) to switch. Should I move to the earlier flight?
Once I switched and lost- the crew on the earlier flight timed out and it was cancelled (after my original flight left). Another time I got lucky and switched to what turned out to be the last flight out that night.
Now I'm sitting in PHX waiting for a ground stop to be lifted at ORD. I switched, but the original one is boarding and the earlier one hasnt started boarding. Neither has left the gate.
anyone have any rules of thumb for this?
Always pick the one that isn't the 737-MAX, even if it's sure to be cancelled.
donotblink and GWFan like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

here's how it ended up: I switched from original (11:20am) to the earlier flight (9:35am) flight since neither had departed. Gate agent at earlier flight said "you should switch; this one will definitely go earlier than the 11:20." So I switched. At about 11:30, the original starts boarding; the earlier says "we'll get an update in a half hour." Walked over to original, which is now almost fully boarded. Ask the GA if I can get on; he says my original seats are gone but they have one left. GA says "you shold definitely take it; we've got a plane and a crew and we're boarding." But I'm with my wife and there is only one seat. Original pulls away from gate. Back to earlier gate, where they make an announcement that their departure time is now after 2pm. Damn! Mrs. W gives me the "you think you're so smart" look. Back to the AC to wait it out.
After an hour or so, people start streaming into the AC from the original (11:20) flight. They had pulled back to the gate and deplaned. That flight was straight cancelled. I've got confirmed seats on the earlier flight, which eventually departed at about 3:15.
Bottom line: switching proved to be the right move; otherwise I wouldn't have gotten home til next day. However, it was just random luck and for a while looked like the wrong move.
Oh, and btw, I do actually have a crystal ball, but neglected to bring it on this trip.,
FlyerWx, donotblink, Thysk and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by orville nmn wright
here's how it ended up: I switched from original (11:20am) to the earlier flight (9:35am) flight since neither had departed. Gate agent at earlier flight said "you should switch; this one will definitely go earlier than the 11:20." So I switched. At about 11:30, the original starts boarding; the earlier says "we'll get an update in a half hour." Walked over to original, which is now almost fully boarded. Ask the GA if I can get on; he says my original seats are gone but they have one left. GA says "you shold definitely take it; we've got a plane and a crew and we're boarding." But I'm with my wife and there is only one seat. Original pulls away from gate. Back to earlier gate, where they make an announcement that their departure time is now after 2pm. Damn! Mrs. W gives me the "you think you're so smart" look. Back to the AC to wait it out.
After an hour or so, people start streaming into the AC from the original (11:20) flight. They had pulled back to the gate and deplaned. That flight was straight cancelled. I've got confirmed seats on the earlier flight, which eventually departed at about 3:15.
Bottom line: switching proved to be the right move; otherwise I wouldn't have gotten home til next day. However, it was just random luck and for a while looked like the wrong move.
Oh, and btw, I do actually have a crystal ball, but neglected to bring it on this trip.,
I'm glad it worked out well in the end.

You should thank your wife for being with you so you didn't take the canceled flight
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I dont switch...I have my TA or the EXP desk book it as 'back up'. If I get onto the earlier flight, the other coupon just goes away.

I supoose I might get onto a plane that THEN is delayed...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I dont switch...I have my TA or the EXP desk book it as 'back up'. If I get onto the earlier flight, the other coupon just goes away.

I supoose I might get onto a plane that THEN is delayed...
Are you sure you can still do this? I was going to search or start a thread that an “EXP agent” told me last week that recent policy change prohibits protecting passengers on another flight. She seemed fairly knowledgeable so I was inclined to believe her.

Back to the topic, related to the previous story, I’ve switched to an earlier delayed flight that subsequently pushed back, returned to the gate after my original flight, and then canceled, leaving me stranded overnight. So now I’m extremely hesitant to switch unless it’s a weather delay affecting both flights. In IRROPS I will stay or switch to mainline flight, though, since RJ traffic seems to cancel much more frequently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.