Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA PHX FA Base Expects 700 FAs to Relocate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA PHX FA Base Expects 700 FAs to Relocate

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:45 pm

Thanks for the link.

I guess it was discussed in the Alaska forum since last summer.

It's been over half a year. No new announcements. I doubt it.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
In all seriousness, SEA has some intriguing possibilities with AS likely joining OW as a Connect member.
As someone who flies from ONT, a small airport with few direct flights, this would be great for my status but horrible for my Friday nights and Sunday mornings.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
I heard they're building new gates at CLT

In all seriousness, SEA has some intriguing possibilities with AS likely joining OW as a Connect member.
They don't know what they want to do with SEA or the west coast for that matter. Buying smaller airlines, once having wide bodies, an AC at the end of C then a new one in A and finally a couple gates at D. AS and AA have gone different directions and there's really no reason that OW would want them.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Wouldn't a hub like PHX have a few thousand FAs based there? I thought I recalled some stats for AA which showed that PHX had a much higher percentage of mainline flights versus Eagle flights than most of AA's other hubs. Maybe they are planning to replace more mainline flying there with Eagle.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Thanks for the link.

I guess it was discussed in the Alaska forum since last summer.

It's been over half a year. No new announcements. I doubt it.
Originally Posted by seigex
As someone who flies from ONT, a small airport with few direct flights, this would be great for my status but horrible for my Friday nights and Sunday mornings.
Off-topic but Alaska's embracing of its elites is quite a bright spot over US legacies:

Delta CEO Ed Bastian is fond of saying that any business that gives away more than half of its best product for free is not setting itself up for success. But Alaska executives continue to think differently, saying they want to keep setting aside at least 50 percent of their first class seats for elite-level frequent flyers.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
They don't know what they want to do with SEA or the west coast for that matter. Buying smaller airlines, once having wide bodies, an AC at the end of C then a new one in A and finally a couple gates at D. AS and AA have gone different directions and there's really no reason that OW would want them.
I wouldn't expect AA to be too keen on seeing AS being a partner again, but Oneworld created the "Connect" model last year and since AS remains partners with six OW airlines (BA, CX, Finnair, JAL, LATAM, and QANTAS) so it seems like a good fit. I don't know if AA retains a veto or not as a founding OW member though.

I don't know much about SEA except it's hub to AS/DL and I dunno why AA would try to squeeze in when they have PHX locked up pretty nicely. Assuming cost of living is a factor in salary negotiations, PHX hubs would be cheaper than SEA too for the crew.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
To ask that many FA's to move elsewhere is screaming "de-hub" to me.
That's not what's happening.
There's a single contract now and AA is rebalancing the bases.
A large chunk of LAX flying is currently operated by PHX-based crews.
AA is increasing their LAX base by a similar 700.
JonNYC posted a link to this supposedly-internal memo on his twitter yesterday:

Last edited by cedric; Feb 15, 2019 at 1:51 am
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Wouldn't a hub like PHX have a few thousand FAs based there?
It would, and even with a reduction of 700, PHX is going to have about 2x the count of DCA or 4x BOS. Another forum posting pointed to a count of 2,260 at PHX presently.

I don't absolutely dismiss the idea that PHX mainline flight count to decline but I'm not sure of the value of shrinking the FA base as telegraphing it. Other than being tired of seeing how many PHX FAs commute to other bases to start their trips (and that would be petty, given the number of pilots and FAs that live out-of-base) I don't know why AA cares where FAs are based.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
To ask that many FA's to move elsewhere is screaming "de-hub" to me.
Doesn't sound like they are being asked.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by Gig103
I wouldn't expect AA to be too keen on seeing AS being a partner again, but Oneworld created the "Connect" model last year and since AS remains partners with six OW airlines (BA, CX, Finnair, JAL, LATAM, and QANTAS) so it seems like a good fit. I don't know if AA retains a veto or not as a founding OW member though.

I don't know much about SEA except it's hub to AS/DL and I dunno why AA would try to squeeze in when they have PHX locked up pretty nicely. Assuming cost of living is a factor in salary negotiations, PHX hubs would be cheaper than SEA too for the crew.
Qantas and AA are still working on a TPAC JV. Qantas and Alaska have a close relationship which just expanded to include AS codeshares on QF transpacific flights. AA and Alaska are still frenemies - the OW Connect route makes a lot of sense for all 3 entities. If Qatar tried to invest in AS, things would get very interesting.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by cedric
That's not what's happening.
There's a single contract now and AA is rebalancing the bases.
A large chunk of LAX flying is currently operated by PHX-based crews.
AA is increasing their LAX base by a similar 700.
JonNYC posted a link to this supposedly-internal memo on his twitter yesterday: https://twitter.com/TheForwardCabin/...37204767367175
The cost of living in the Los Angeles metro area is far far different than the Phoenix metro area. Was anything said about a compensation adjustment to reflect this?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by george 3
The cost of living in the Los Angeles metro area is far far different than the Phoenix metro area. Was anything said about a compensation adjustment to reflect this?
I assume some will end up commuting. NYC has a sizable number of FAs that commute in.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
If you are an FA that resides in the Valley of the Sun, and your choices are to relocate to either region, LAX or DFW, it is not a good choice.

DFW - Terrible humidity, wild temperature fluctuations, flat as a pancake, relatively few outdoor pursuits, and the city has few attractions. On the other hand, no state income tax, although if you are earning FA pay, this is not a big draw.

LAX - Lovely weather, lots of outdoor pursuits, the region is full of terrific attractions. On the other hand, the cost of living is at least twice as high as in PHX.

It is going to be a hard choice.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Wilbur
If you are an FA that resides in the Valley of the Sun, and your choices are to relocate to either region, LAX or DFW, it is not a good choice.
Do you know how many of AA's ~25,000 flight attendants live out of base and commute today? I don't presume that a big fraction will relocate given the relative ease of commuting to LAX (7 AA flights Monday) or DFW (11 flights). As for relocating, it's part of the risks of the job - mitigated by seniority bidding.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I have an AA FA friend (came over with the PSA and US Air mergers) who lives in San Diego but is based in PHL. She once told me back in the US Air days that 80% of the PHL based FAs did not live in Philadelphia, which I thought was rather surprising. These FAs don’t need to necessarily relocate. I often meet FAs on flights from SAN to PHL and return when I’m in Y - many of the former PSA crew members are still living in San Diego.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.