Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA PHX FA Base Expects 700 FAs to Relocate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond

https://www.azfamily.com/news/americ...02fb6a114.html

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS5)-- American Airlines is in the process of restructuring Phoenix operations.

A spokesperson for American Airlines told Arizona's Family that 700 Phoenix-based flight attendants will need to look for a new hub.
azfamily.com

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 14, 2019 at 8:01 pm Reason: Edit post & thread title to comply with Rule 7
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
To ask that many FA's to move elsewhere is screaming "de-hub" to me.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
To ask that many FA's to move elsewhere is screaming "de-hub" to me.
Yup.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
LUS only had PHX. AA now has LAX and DFW that share some of the catchment area. So some amount of right sizing will occur as time goes on.

I highly doubt AA dehubs PHX. Exactly where would that capacity go?
PHX_Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Antarius
LUS only had PHX. AA now has LAX and DFW that share some of the catchment area. So some amount of right sizing will occur as time goes on.

I heard they're building new gates at CLT

In all seriousness, SEA has some intriguing possibilities with AS likely joining OW as a Connect member.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
7. Linking To Content On Other Websites (link to this Rule)

FlyerTalk is here for the purpose of sharing meaningful information. Don't simply post a link by itself to another source, such as an article or blog. (See also, Rule 9 — Posting Copyrighted Material.) Posts containing such links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to FlyerTalk itself.

Thank you. Moderator.
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
When does the requirement imposed by the DOJ in the settlement expire? I forget how long AA had to commit to retaining certain levels of service.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
When does the requirement imposed by the DOJ in the settlement expire? I forget how long AA had to commit to retaining certain levels of service.
Five years, I believe. Should be expiring this April: https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-doc...14481/download
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
According to this, the commitment was only for 3 years. Seems we are past that point now.

https://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/11...erger-lawsuit/
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Five years, I believe. Should be expiring this April: https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-doc...14481/download
They were not required to maintain service to all hubs for five years. Here are the references.

Defendants reached an agreement with the Plaintiff States to maintain service from at least one of the merged airline’s hubs to specified airports in the Plaintiff States for a period of five years

Defendants also reached an agreement with the United States Department of Transportation to use all of the merged airline’s commuter slots (as opposed to air carrier slots) at Reagan National to serve airports designated as medium, small and non-hub airports (i.e. airports accounting for less than one percent of annual passenger boardings) for a period of at least five years.

Indeed, the Department of Transportation agreement entered into by Defendants, although not part of the Final Judgment, requires that Defendants use all of the commuter slots at Reagan National to serve airports designated as medium, small, and non-hub airports for a period of at least five years.

To summarize --

In the settlement agreement with the state Attorneys General, the new American has agreed to maintain its hubs in Charlotte, New York (Kennedy), Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago (O'Hare), Philadelphia, and Phoenix consistent with historical operations for a period of three years. In addition, with limited exceptions, for a period of five years, the new American will continue to provide daily scheduled service from one or more of its hubs to each plaintiff state airport that has scheduled daily service from either American or US Airways. A previous settlement agreement with the state of Texas will be amended to make it consistent with today's settlement.

So Phoenix falls under the 3 year rubric.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...ement/3506443/

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 14, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by LBJ
Charlotte, New York (Kennedy), Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago (O'Hare), Philadelphia, and Phoenix
Where's DFW?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
I heard they're building new gates at CLT

In all seriousness, SEA has some intriguing possibilities with AS likely joining OW as a Connect member.
Where'd you get that?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Also, if AA was dehubbing PHX, why would they launch PHX-LHR?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Where'd you get that?
Alaska Airlines Hints It May Finally Join the Oneworld Alliance
allset2travel likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:42 pm

Also, if AA was dehubbing PHX, why would they launch PHX-LHR?
Slots at LHR are kind of hard to get, AA has spent a lot of $ on the last few they got.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.