Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

747 TATL in BA / British F - Worth it? (Compared to AA J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 TATL in BA / British F - Worth it? (Compared to AA J)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Last years trip back to the UK was in a BA 747 in the upper deck, just to experience it before they start retiring the fleet. If flying from LAX to LHR, I would typically take the AA 77W service, but I liked the timing of the early BA 747 service last go round as it gets into LHR much earlier the next day that I find myself booked on the UD of a 747 for this years trip back in December.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
You are EXP so if you can get seat 1A or 1K it is definitely something you should experience at least once. It is just AWESOME sitting in the nose of the plane!!!!
I say do it; I have flown it 3 times now and it never gets old!!!!
The dinner I had last time at the CCR was simply outstanding.

I agree with trying 1A or 1K if you can get it for a good price (they've been having some deals out of Europe...). As for CCR, you must have had an exceptional day there. I've never had anything better than average in very many visits over the past 17 years.

I have had plenty of mediocre BA F experiences. But I've had some delightfully memorable ones. One of my top five flights was a BA F from LHR-HKG. I had a mid-40s gentleman waiting on me (in 1K) the entire flight. His demeanor was just plain impressive. "Right away, sir" to everything in the most disarming way, but useful information when needed (when I was deciding between mains, he actually offered useful description rather than obliquely saying both are good). Refills kept topped up, recommendations for this wine or that drink to go with the appetizer. Noticed when I woke up and offered a coffee & snack, etc. Anyhow. It was ages ago, maybe 15 years ago, but I've had enough good experiences in the past 5-7 years that I'd say it's still worth a try. Maybe you get an indifferent crew that's as pleasant to be around as the average AA bunch (...), but maybe you get lucky and have an awesome time in the nose of an aircraft that's not long for this world.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:24 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I’m noticing that many people commenting in this thread are comparing BA J to AA J.

The thread title states that the OP is wondering if BA FIRST CLASS IS THAT MUCH BETTER THAN AA’s J CABIN.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by carlosdca
That's not what has been said exactly.

It is usually said that "BA F is the best BUSINESS CLASS cabin in the world".
In Flyertalk language:
BA F > any airline J

Contrary to what a poster said above, I don't find QR J better than BA F.
Has QR updated ALL its aircraft to have all aisle access in J?
Not any more than BA has updated all its F cabins to A380 F standards. But those with the all aisle access are, imo, superior to BA 747 F.

I’m noticing that many people commenting in this thread are comparing BA J to AA J.

The thread title states that the OP is wondering if BA FIRST CLASS IS THAT MUCH BETTER THAN AA’s J CABIN.
Not really. The OP is inquiring if BA’s Boeing 747 First is better than AA Business.
enviroian and HMPS like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: QF WP
I have a trip like this coming up this year
unfortunately the BA F legs have ended up being on an a380 (yes i know it’s a superior product but...747!). However it connects with a QF 747 which I am very happy about
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by nancypants
I have a trip like this coming up this year
unfortunately the BA F legs have ended up being on an a380 (yes i know it’s a superior product but...747!). However it connects with a QF 747 which I am very happy about
Now an A380 to a 747 is just icing on the cake.

Enjoy that A380 (particularly the BA F cabin) as it eases into its retirement!
jcatman and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:40 am

Yes, BA F is better than AA J, no doubt. But then: If you ever experienced F on AF, LH, LX, JL, CX, NH, OZ you most likely will find that both are similary bad. Just my opinion.
And if you have been in the LH FCT or the FCLs or in the LX FCL then most likely will believe that the CCR is a pretty good business lounge.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Just did PHL-LHR-TLVxLHR-IAH on the 744/772/789 in F. Agreed that F on the 744 is a bit cramped but still much nicer than AA J ever will be. I was in 1K and will second that you really CANNOT beat sitting in the nose of the aircraft. The 744s are going away; do this while you can. The 772 was quite a bit more comfortable but not as 'special'. The 789 was my favorite of them but ironically enough was showing quite a bit more wear than either the 744 or 772. Food is decent, service absolutely stellar and made all the difference. Also, they serve Grand Sičcle which is way way better than anything AA has ever served.

Is it going to match CX/SQ/whatever in F? No. Is it worth it? Not sure what the differential between AA J and BA F is. If it is double? No. Within 30 percent? For me, yes.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kanebear
Also, they serve Grand Sičcle which is way way better than anything AA has ever served.
https://onemileatatime.com/american-......-champagne/

T/BE20/G, jcatman, HMPS and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Yes, BA F is better than AA J, no doubt. But then: If you ever experienced F on AF, LH, LX, JL, CX, NH, OZ you most likely will find that both are similary bad. Just my opinion.
And if you have been in the LH FCT or the FCLs or in the LX FCL then most likely will believe that the CCR is a pretty good business lounge.
You forgot SQ, my fav.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I'd go with BA First over AA Business. But as others have noted BA First is not really First, but more like an OK Business Class. BA's Business Class is simply dreadful.

FWIW, my overall rankings which include inflight hard and soft products, service, amenities as well as ground services such as lounges and personalized services.

1. Air France
2. Garuda Indonesia
3. Emirates
4. Qatar
5. Lufthansa
6. Cathay Pacific
7. Singapore
8. Swiss
9. Etihad
10. ANA
11. JAL
12. Korean
13. Malaysia
14. Thai
15. Asiana
16. Qantas
17. American
18. British
19. Air China
20. United (recently mercifully discontinued)
Unterwegs and HMPS like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
I'd go with BA First over AA Business. But as others have noted BA First is not really First, but more like an OK Business Class. BA's Business Class is simply dreadful.

FWIW, my overall rankings which include inflight hard and soft products, service, amenities as well as ground services such as lounges and personalized services.

1. Air France
2. Garuda Indonesia
3. Emirates
4. Qatar
5. Lufthansa
6. Cathay Pacific
7. Singapore
8. Swiss
9. Etihad
10. ANA
11. JAL
12. Korean
13. Malaysia
14. Thai
15. Asiana
16. Qantas
17. American
18. British
19. Air China
20. United (recently mercifully discontinued)
I carefully scrolled through the list, then laughed out loud when I read #20 .
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by jcatman
I carefully scrolled through the list, then laughed out loud when I read #20 .
I hearyou !Surprising BA is not evenin thetop 20.
WishGarudawould come to USA. Time was Garuda was the least safe airline twentyor so years ago.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Except the comparison being discussed is BA F to AA J.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Let's not forget the pajamas you get in BA F. I wear mine very night..... they hold up well.

I have flown BA F using AA miles several times in the last few years. SEA-LHR in a 777 and a 747. I have always enjoyed the flights, the food and the sense of privacy and quiet. It is eerie flying for 10 hours and knowing there are 100's of people sitting behind you that you never see or hear. My husband and I always try for seats 1A/1K, literally in the nosecone of the 747, but they are hard to get and you need to know the tricks of acquiring them. My only beef with BA F is that while you are the first off the aircraft in LHR..... once you deplane you are instantly among the 1000's of others making their way through the airport and arrival formalities. In other words...you are just like everyone else once you deplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.