Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid P, waitlisted for J, C becomes available, why not downgrade to S?

Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat

I have a reservation on a LHR-LAX in paid Prem Econ with a waitlisted upgrade to Business. My EF alert for C just fired and I see that my reservation is now in ticketing limbo. Is there a good reason why I can't call before it is reticketed and downgrade to the lowest available Economy fare (currently S and $800 less than I paid)?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Likely you were ahead of upgrade list because you purchased Pre Econ. If you had S fare to begin with then probably you would not got this J seat when C inventory became available, likely went to somebody higher on upgrade list who purchased Pre Econ. From that prospective, likely answer will be no because if such is allowed then this will become a trick to be on the top of the upgrade list.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Assume (however improbably) I'm the only one on the waitlist. What's to stop me then?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Likely you were ahead of upgrade list because you purchased Pre Econ. If you had S fare to begin with then probably you would not got this J seat when C inventory became available, likely went to somebody higher on upgrade list who purchased Pre Econ. From that prospective, likely answer will be no because if such is allowed then this will become a trick to be on the top of the upgrade list.
Incorrect. Upgrade priority is based on elite status and then EQD. Whether you purchased discount coach or full-fare premium economy has absolutely zero weight on upgrade priority (except in the .00001% case that two people have the same status and exact same rolling EQD).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
This is not how it works at all. Economy and Premium Economy upgrades to business all come from the same "pool" of space which is sorted by status and EQD. A $20k rolling EQD EXP who buys a $500 discount economy ticket will be ahead of a $15k EQD EXP that purchased a $2000 premium economy ticket.

*the only time fare class matters is in the unlikely event that 2 people are on the same upgrade list with the same status and exact same rolling EQD.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AA2070
Assume (however improbably) I'm the only one on the waitlist. What's to stop me then?
Theoretically it should be possible. Keep in mind you'd have to pay the change fee associated with your PE fare. I would think you would need to call in, change your ticket to economy, then wait for it to re-ticket before calling back to grab the upgrade space. So there could be some risk that the C space disappears in that time. However it's also possible that a good agent could take care of everything in one swoop. Give AA a call and see what they say.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I suppose technically this could be done, but there are several considerations, which some have already been mentioned.

1) By the time you are through the changes, the C inventory could be gone. Now you are stuck in Y instead of PE, unless you want to pay yet another change fare and fare difference to get back into PE
2) If the change is successful, then you will only earn the EQD and lowered EQM of the new ticket for that flight
3) Your rolling EQD qill be lower, affecting you future upgrade order and chances
4) If, at the end of the year, you have not yet met a tier qualification threshold, you might need to make a MR to meet this threshold, thus wiping our any savings you earned on the PE->Y downgraded ticket trip
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:51 am
Original Poster

EXP agent was doubtful that this could be done, but checked with the tariff desk who didn't have a problem with it. They did charge a change fee - net result is a $600 voucher, booked in C and ticketed in S. I would guess that since the upgrade had already started processing it was already mine, but I don't know for sure. After all was said and done the agent said "Well it looks like you found a loophole."

I'm not concerned about EQM or spend; last year I nearly tripled both.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
EXP agent was doubtful that this could be done, but checked with the tariff desk who didn't have a problem with it. They did charge a change fee - net result is a $600 voucher, booked in C and ticketed in S. I would guess that since the upgrade had already started processing it was already mine, but I don't know for sure. After all was said and done the agent said "Well it looks like you found a loophole."

That was one valuable telephone call. Congrats.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Glad it worked out! Although the my caveats were not applicable to you, perhaps they will help someone else who doesn't have the same spend, EQM with something to consider
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

Loophole? These phone agents become more arrogant every day.

They collected a change fee they love for a few clicks. And kept your cash and gave you a voucher that expires and that you might not use.

Big win for AA. Glad you are happy too.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Loophole? These phone agents become more arrogant every day.

They collected a change fee they love for a few clicks. And kept your cash and gave you a voucher that expires and that you might not use.

Big win for AA. Glad you are happy too.
Find something else to be frenetically furious about.

Nice work OP!!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I obviously wasn't on the call, but I could certainly see the agent saying "you found a loophole" in a jovial, congratulatory way (unsarcastically). Or they could have been bitter about it, who knows.

Of course the way to close this loophole is to only allow one-class upgrades...
Or charge more miles/co-pay for Y->J than PE->J, that never really made sense to me.
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
If the OP is exceeding 300k EQM & killing the EQD, he probably has a nice eagle rating. AA may be less generous to a more average member.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Wow this is awesome. Nice work OP!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.