Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid P, waitlisted for J, C becomes available, why not downgrade to S?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid P, waitlisted for J, C becomes available, why not downgrade to S?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
If the OP is exceeding 300k EQM & killing the EQD, he probably has a nice eagle rating. AA may be less generous to a more average member.
I don't think this was based on eagle rating. OP paid a change fee and received a voucher for the difference, same as everyone else is allowed to do. If OP got the change fee waived, then it would probably have been influenced by special circumstances or eagle rating.
JonNYC, msv777, truthknown and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Now you just have to hope there are no irrops resulting in you getting downgraded out of business and sticking you in economy vs. PE.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gradboozer
Now you just have to hope there are no irrops resulting in you getting downgraded out of business and sticking you in economy vs. PE.
Good point, but I think OP can now call and get re-ticketed in C. Not 100% positive, but I think so.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
If the OP is ticketed in C they remain entitled to keep a J seat through IRROPS, IIRC.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by donotblink

If the OP is ticketed in C they remain entitled to keep a J seat through IRROPS, IIRC.
Excuse my ignorance, but does this also apply to E-500/UDU upgrades for elites?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AA2070
EXP agent was doubtful that this could be done, but checked with the tariff desk who didn't have a problem with it. They did charge a change fee - net result is a $600 voucher, booked in C and ticketed in S. I would guess that since the upgrade had already started processing it was already mine, but I don't know for sure. After all was said and done the agent said "Well it looks like you found a loophole."

I'm not concerned about EQM or spend; last year I nearly tripled both.
I was in this scenario before but did not call to downgrade back to coach. Brilliant! Nice work. *stealing this idea now*
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Excuse my ignorance, but does this also apply to E-500/UDU upgrades for elites?
Not according to policy (only confirmed instrument upgrades qualify), but IME auto-reaccom has rebooked me into F when I was UDU'd on my original flight that experienced irrops. That said, if/when I called in to get on a different flight, I was always rebooked back into Y.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Just realized after landing, I was not charged the ex-LHR luxury tax. I wonder if that's because the upgrade was allocated to be while I was still in a higher cabin?
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by AA2070
Just realized after landing, I was not charged the ex-LHR luxury tax. I wonder if that's because the upgrade was allocated to be while I was still in a higher cabin?
You should really go buy some lottery tickets, you lucky duck!!!!!
apeortdz and swgsword like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by dkc192
Not according to policy (only confirmed instrument upgrades qualify), but IME auto-reaccom has rebooked me into F when I was UDU'd on my original flight that experienced irrops. That said, if/when I called in to get on a different flight, I was always rebooked back into Y.
That has been my experience too. I think rebooking probably follows the ticket. If SWU was cleared and they have already exchanged the ticket, they will treat me as a J pax (rebooked me on the direct CX flight in my case). While if I was UDU'd into R (they usually don't reissue tickets for UDUs) and the flight is canceled, the dynamic accommodation would rebook me in First while if I try to get a coterminal (or a different date) by calling AA, they will call RM to open up my originally ticketed inventory and rebook me into the exact same inventory (even T).
enpremiere likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by shd9
That has been my experience too. I think rebooking probably follows the ticket. If SWU was cleared and they have already exchanged the ticket, they will treat me as a J pax (rebooked me on the direct CX flight in my case). While if I was UDU'd into R (they usually don't reissue tickets for UDUs) and the flight is canceled, the dynamic accommodation would rebook me in First while if I try to get a coterminal (or a different date) by calling AA, they will call RM to open up my originally ticketed inventory and rebook me into the exact same inventory (even T).
I believe that there is also some latitude as to whether or not there is time to call/actually open original ticketed inventory (particularly if it's a same-day or near-departure IRROP) in which a pax might see a re-booking into the next available fare of the original cabin which could very well be Y on a coach ticket or J on a D or I fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.