Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid upgrade from premium economy to C on BA op, AA ticket

Old Feb 14, 19, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Hi folks

Ive booked prem y on AA ticket stock
I'd like to do a paid up to c on my flght home JFK-LHR, but this flight is op by BA

Whom to ask for, AA or BA ?
Any chance to get it (2 pax, beginning Oct)
Old Feb 14, 19, 5:23 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by MarkusToe View Post
Hi folks

I'd like to do a paid up to c on my flght home JFK-LHR, but this flight is op by BA

You can just upfare it by calling AA. Your chances are 100% assuming there’s availability (which this far out, there undoubtedly will be). You wont be charged the change fee, just the fare difference.
Old Feb 14, 19, 5:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Hi folks

Using AA miles to upgrade on BA metal from premium economy, the only way it's possible is if you're on a full fare premium economy fare code (W). This isn't likely unless your fare was very expensive, typically it's cheaper to just buy discounted business compared to full fare PE.

If you're talking about just paying the fare difference to business, then call AA and ask, as this is an AA issued ticket. You can just pay the fare difference with no change fee.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
You can either call AA and upfare, as other have suggested, or you ask BA at the airport if they're offering special airport upgrades on the date. Given the route, I'd upfare in advance rather than rely on an airport upgrade.
Old Feb 14, 19, 5:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Check out the BA Executive Club threads, there's one there that keeps track of what they charge for these types of upgrades. I know you can do it at the lounge but assume you can also do it somewhere else. Usually around $500 but it all depends on availability and has to be done the day of travel.
Old Feb 14, 19, 7:28 am
Original Poster

in the past I got at CI offers from AA for upgrade (if available), key question, as its a long time ago ive flown AA in Y....
Will AA offer it today, even on a BA Op flight?
best regards
Markus
Old Feb 14, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
in the past I got at CI offers from AA for upgrade (if available), key question, as its a long time ago ive flown AA in Y....
Will AA offer it today, even on a BA Op flight?
best regards
Markus
AA wont offer check-in upgrades for BA.
Old Feb 14, 19, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down

spoken with AA, they ask for 1600€ pP upcharge, the leg NYC-LHR...., no thanks....
Old Feb 14, 19, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Since this is BA operated unless you have AA reprice the ticket in J, which you’ve noted would be expensive, you have to look to BA for an upgrade. BA offers two $ upgrade types, POUG before day of departure through MMB - though not sure they would offer this on an AA issued ticket and AUP on DoD that can be purchased at check in desk (human not kiosk) or lounge. You can check the BA forum on details and prices for each.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 14, 19, 10:35 am
PHL

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, UA Silver, MR LT Platinum Premier
spoken with AA, they ask for 1600€ pP upcharge, the leg NYC-LHR...., no thanks....
Curious what kind of price you had in mind for PE -> J upgrade? PE is as low as only $300 above discounted coach, so it's still considered a leap from PE -> J in terms of revenue to the airline.
Old Feb 14, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Curious what kind of price you had in mind for PE -> J upgrade? PE is as low as only $300 above discounted coach, so it's still considered a leap from PE -> J in terms of revenue to the airline.
I was wondering this too.
Grabbing a Random date in March: PE is $1275 and J is $7400. €1600 for a one way upfare ain’t half bad.

With advanced purchase, J is $3700. There €1600 might be a bit much.
Old Feb 14, 19, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Hi folks

As mentioned above, since AA issued your ticket, you need to call AA to "change" your ticket to business for no change fee. (I would not call this an "upgrade").

In this case, your best bet is to ask BA for a cash upgrade at the check-in counter day of flight at JFK. It is not always offered but it does not hurt to ask.
As far as pricing for these, go to the BA forum where there is an extensive thread about cash upgrades at the airport.
It will probably be anywhere from $500 to $1000.

(Sometimes BA offer upgrades on their website when you view your reservation "Manage My Booking" but it works only for BA issued tickets)
Old Feb 14, 19, 4:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Using AA miles to upgrade on BA metal from premium economy, the only way it's possible is if you're on a full fare premium economy fare code (W). This isn't likely unless your fare was very expensive, typically it's cheaper to just buy discounted business compared to full fare PE.

If you're talking about just paying the fare difference to business, then call AA and ask, as this is an AA issued ticket. You can just pay the fare difference with no change fee.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Originally Posted by ryan182 View Post
Since this is BA operated unless you have AA reprice the ticket in J, which you’ve noted would be expensive, you have to look to BA for an upgrade. BA offers two $ upgrade types, POUG before day of departure through MMB - though not sure they would offer this on an AA issued ticket and AUP on DoD that can be purchased at check in desk (human not kiosk) or lounge. You can check the BA forum on details and prices for each.
Or use AA miles and money, it as has been mentioned already, only applicable to very expensive Premium Economy W fares and must meet certain conditions.

“Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)“

See aa.com: Upgrade with miles on partner airlines
Old Feb 15, 19, 10:21 am

I’m guessing there needs to be reward seats in business to upgrade using AAvantage miles though? If so do AA use the same rewards as BA?

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Or use AA miles and money, it as has been mentioned already, only applicable to very expensive Premium Economy W fares and must meet certain conditions.

“Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)“

See aa.com: Upgrade with miles on partner airlines