Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Check-in time and tips to get best seats if ticketed in Basic Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check-in time and tips to get best seats if ticketed in Basic Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Rarely will FAs ever announce the MCE benefit. It only happened once that I know of. I was sitting alone in row 10 on a LUS321 on a half full flight so obviously I wasn't a BE refugee. (At 10AM the FA kept asking me if I wanted a free drink). I would agree those that end up in MCE because of no other seats are clueless to the free alcoholic drink benefit. However, providing someone the possibility that they might get more legroom as a "punishment" for buying the cheapest fare seems nonsensical.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Rather than assign the BE seats at check-in, what about assigning seats as they are purchased, starting with last row middle, next to last row middle, etc. Or do they want to leave some middles open for people traveling together? Surely that could be accommodated by just leaving some of the middles open toward the middle of the plane.

I don't think I've ever said middle so many times in one paragraph.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCAFly
Rather than assign the BE seats at check-in, what about assigning seats as they are purchased, starting with last row middle, next to last row middle, etc. Or do they want to leave some middles open for people traveling together? Surely that could be accommodated by just leaving some of the middles open toward the middle of the plane.

I don't think I've ever said middle so many times in one paragraph.
I'm assuming the inability to secure a seat assignment at booking is mean't to "scare people into buying into Main Cabin." AA does make sure that a child is always seated next to at least one parent/guardian so yes they do need to keep some middle seats open.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:38 pm

If at 24 hours out the seat map shows only MCE seats, does it make sense to check in at that time to secure one of those seats? If that's the scenario, why wait until T-2hrs?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: QF Gold
Well ... as a sapphire was given a seat in PE (unsold cabin) despite flying basic fare.

Wasn't expecting it, but was a good flight managed to snooze off too.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by girlsmom4
If at 24 hours out the seat map shows only MCE seats, does it make sense to check in at that time to secure one of those seats? If that's the scenario, why wait until T-2hrs?
Yes if the app gives you a MCE seat for no charge by all means grab it immediately. I'm assuming that if only MCE is left at T-24 that's what you're given. However, I think that probably the exception.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by freeagent
They also assign middle seats first so if there's a middle seat open its likely yours.
So if
Row 20 : window available
Row 19 : window, aisle available
Row 18 middle available

and I check in will I get 20 window or 18 middle ?

Update: I did not check in yet. But in the past hour since I first created this post the 18 middle went. So I think the way it will work is that the $19 middles in rows 12-14 will be assigned to BE prior to a $27 seat like 20a or 19c. So I am sticking with T-1/T-2

flight leaving in 10 hours so I doubt I will get a response before then

Last edited by jmsnyc; Sep 8, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:12 am

Checked in about T-1.5. Got 14E. Not MCE.

Kind of annoyed, have to do this route often but AA is o nly nonstop Fll CLT and rt difference between main and BE is over $250

There were also empty seats on flight.

Will gate agents give exit rows to Be passengers

Last edited by jmsnyc; Sep 9, 2019 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:20 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by girlsmom4
That has been my experience. With an incredibly small sample size (4 flights in BE), I'm at 100% this year for free MCE. If you're traveling with another person, the algorithm will try to seat you together. Not bad, all things considered.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:41 am

How does expert flyer work? Only see paid alerts,?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:38 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Checked in about T-1.5. Got 14E. Not MCE.

Kind of annoyed, have to do this route often but AA is o nly nonstop Fll CLT and rt difference between main and BE is over $250

There were also empty seats on flight.

Will gate agents give exit rows to Be passengers
If you checked in and there were still standard coach seats, then you got exactly what you paid for. This is the downside to booking BE, aside from the reduced miles/points earnings, no upgrades, no changes, etc.

Agents by policy won't give exit row to a BE passenger. The computer screen makes it very clear to them that the fare is heavily restricted.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
If you checked in and there were still standard coach seats, then you got exactly what you paid for. This is the downside to booking BE, aside from the reduced miles/points earnings, no upgrades, no changes, etc.

Agents by policy won't give exit row to a BE passenger. The computer screen makes it very clear to them that the fare is heavily restricted.
The issue is , on this route, the majority of passengers are BE. Flights are less than $200 RT from FLL to CLT in BE, and over $400 in regular economy. This does not make sense to me.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bchandler02
So somebody on a cheapo BE fair can potentially get an MCE seat if they play the game (and worst case, they get a rear middle seat - what they paid for) - all while those on normal fare tickets are stuck in their selected seats that aren't MCE, and could not select MCE even within 24 hours of booking?

Way to go, AA.
You don't have to select a seat in advance, and be stuck with whatever is left when you check in or get a seat assigned at the airport.
Or, you can also book BE fairs
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
The issue is , on this route, the majority of passengers are BE. Flights are less than $200 RT from FLL to CLT in BE, and over $400 in regular economy. This does not make sense to me.
How do you know the majority of passengers are BE?
That said, if not traveling for business and for only a 632 mile flight (according to gcmap.com), I would consider saving the money and going BE, and I have never flown BE.
(I think most corporate travelers are forced into Basic Economy fares by their employers)
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:13 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If you find that >50% of the passengers on the flight board in group 9 with you, that is a majority of pax in BE. The only reason they offer it at all is to compete with Spirit who also flies nonstop between FLL-CLT, so it makes perfect sense to me. The low-fare seekers and corporate travel agents will see both AA and Spirit show up in searches with a similar or equal price. The 632 mile distance has nothing to do with the fare they set. It has everything to do with how much revenue they feel they can get for the actual route. All you need to do is look at 300 mile PHL-PIT for an example of where AA is the only one offering nonstop service.

One other thing to note with BE - I've succumbed to paying the low fare when the delta between it and next available coach fare was just too huge. Then a no brainer for me to snag an MCE seat in advance for an additional $70, still keeping my overall price for the trip far lower than the standard coach offering. Not earning the 100% EQMs/EQDs didn't phase me much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.