Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for US - Asia Award Travel (to SIN, from PVG)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

My husband and I will be taking a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong and extending up to visit friends in Shanghai afterwards. We would like to use our AA miles for business class flights if possible (although we don't have a ton of miles). Originally, I was looking at taking a multi city trip starting on the East Coast (PHL, EWR, BWI) to SIN, then HKG to PVG and finally PVG back to departing East coast city (essentially 3 flights). But I'm wondering with wanting to use frequent flyer points am I better off doing a round trip to say HKG and then purchasing the short flights HKG to SIN and then roundtrip HKG to PVG?

Really looking for the best value points/cash for the whole flight portion of our trip. And what airlines do you recommend from the East Coast to Asia?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

Liz
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Lizbethmcq
My husband and I will be taking a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong and extending up to visit friends in Shanghai afterwards. We would like to use our AA miles for business class flights if possible (although we don't have a ton of miles). Originally, I was looking at taking a multi city trip starting on the East Coast (PHL, EWR, BWI) to SIN, then HKG to PVG and finally PVG back to departing East coast city (essentially 3 flights). But I'm wondering with wanting to use frequent flyer points am I better off doing a round trip to say HKG and then purchasing the short flights HKG to SIN and then roundtrip HKG to PVG?

Really looking for the best value points/cash for the whole flight portion of our trip. And what airlines do you recommend from the East Coast to Asia?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

Liz
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

First, be aware ALL AA awards are one way awards.

HKG-PVG may be cheaper or more practical using a low cost carrier (such as Hong Kong Airlines).

Another option if you don’t have quite as many miles is to consider using AA Premium Economy from PVG to the USA.

For a lot of useful information on AA awards, see HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance. In particular, read the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would use miles to get to SIN, and look at cash options on MU (HKG-PVG-JFK) on the way back (often quite reasonable).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.