Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2019, master thread)

Welcome to the "2019 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: AA Flight Attendants are issued Samsung Galaxy Note handheld devices. These are equipped with the iSolve app, which enables flight attendants to offer AAdvantage members on-the-spot compensation in the form of AAdvantage miles when specific inconveniences happen inflight. Those inflight inconveniences might include such things as inflight entertainment issues, broken seats or meal shortages. link to article by By Lewis Lazare, Chicago Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018

If compensation is not generated onsite or automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

ARCHIVE: 2018 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I'd take 10k miles in place of Wifi any day of the week, even if I needed to get work done. Even if I had to pay $19 for the flight.. $19 for 10k miles is a good deal.

I have found Panasonic wifi to be pretty much worthless. Tried it 3 different times on LHR/AMS to DFW flights and it sucked every time, so I've stopped buying it. Gogo (via Tmobile for free) has been good for basic web/email/social media. I don't think I have purchased viasat yet - if I have, I forgot.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Exp
I was upgraded to J on a late DFW-YYC leg recently and for some reason the dinner service didn't make it to the plane, which the FA told us about and apologized for when we were on the jet bridge. He offered up as many snacks as he could often, and a few days later I got the email from AA apologizing and offering 10k miles which was in my account within a few days
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Just out of curiosity, how frequently does Panasonic wifi actually work for you? I've never gotten it to do anything but log in and produce errors and load screens. Oh, and take my payment of course. This is across several flights and three devices. Mercifully I don't run into it that often (mostly very good Viasat product on my routes) but my experience has been such that I wonder if it's somehow me, because this couldn't possibly be a commercially viable product if it's how it operates much of the time. (To their credit, I've been able to get refunds from Panasonic - NOT by writing into AA).
Lately Panasonic never works, but I think part of that is a recent satellite outage. It used to work for me a couple of years back on transoceanic trips, albeit rather slowly.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Apr 25, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Lately Panasonic never works, but I think part of that is a recent satellite outage. It used to work for me a couple of years back on transoceanic trips, albeit rather slow.
Wow, you're right. Intelsat 29e had a fuel leak in early April, it seems. Explains at least my last non-functional experience (though not those before).
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by kev LAX
Completed a JFK-LAX flight tonight and the WiFi did not work the entire flight (the wireless entertainment function worked fine).

After multiple restart attempts, I was informed that I would be issued 10K miles as a goodwill gesture in recognition of the service outage. I had never been offered this before and was impressed.

The outage kept me from getting some work done, but I do appreciate the gesture.

Have others seen this often, or is it rare?
Generous. In past flights (not transcon, but nearly as long) all we got was an FA apology.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Wow, you're right. Intelsat 29e had a fuel leak in early April, it seems. Explains at least my last non-functional experience (though not those before).
Yeah, Intelsat 29e is now a totally lost (as in never going to work again) satellite and just a big chunk of space junk.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:35 am

Had something similar with Delta. Gave me 8k miles and flight was less than 2 hours. Was definitely happy with the offer
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by fotographer
Be more impressed after you get the miles
the FAs use their handheld devices to award the miles inflight, so it's in your account by the time you land. I've had this on a mid-con. I was in MCE bulkhead and got 5k miles. The guy in front of me in F got 10k miles. The FA was very apologetic and showed me the confirmation screen on her handheld that the miles had been awarded. She only awarded miles to the people that asked why the wifi wasn't working, not everyone in the cabin.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 26, 2019 at 8:25 am Reason: Correct typo for clarity
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
the FAs use their handled devices to award the miles inflight, so it's in your account by the time you land. I've had this on a mid-con. I was in MCE bulkhead and got 5k miles. The guy in front of me in F got 10k miles. The FA was very apologetic and showed me the confirmation screen on her handheld that the miles had been awarded. She only awarded miles to the people that asked why the wifi wasn't working, not everyone in the cabin.
Panasonic being useless is a constant for me on LAX-MIA. Like 0 for 12, usually takes my money then logs me out and I can't get back in for the rest of the flight (or if I get back in, it's just to get bounced again).

It's hit or miss whether you get miles. The handheld device has preprogrammed issues into it and I don't think wi-fi is one of them. The times I've gotten it, the FAs told me they put in for broken seat back entertainment or broken seat.

I'd write in, but I don't want to get labeled a frequent complainer (although they are a frequent offender).
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Yeah, Intelsat 29e is now a totally lost (as in never going to work again) satellite and just a big chunk of space junk.
So I wonder what Panasonic's plan is to replace that capacity?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
So I wonder what Panasonic's plan is to replace that capacity?
"Panasonic Avionics declined to comment on the specific exposure the company has with the 29e satellite, noting only that “Panasonic has designed its global communications network to seamlessly manage these kinds of situations and to ensure a consistent quality of service to our airline customers and their passengers even when these kinds of events occur.”

https://paxex.aero/2019/04/intelsat-...wifi-capacity/
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I'd take 10k miles in place of Wifi any day of the week, even if I needed to get work done. Even if I had to pay $19 for the flight.. $19 for 10k miles is a good deal.

I have found Panasonic wifi to be pretty much worthless. Tried it 3 different times on LHR/AMS to DFW flights and it sucked every time, so I've stopped buying it. Gogo (via Tmobile for free) has been good for basic web/email/social media. I don't think I have purchased viasat yet - if I have, I forgot.
Yep, one good benefit of T-Mobile. I spent $10 extra per month for tethering and got unlimited GOGO. I also like the free CA and MX service
I don't fly that much, so in August I switched to free Sprint service (unlimited text, talk, data is $3.81/mo each phone line, for us) when fees are included
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
I believe I got 7.5k miles for no wifi in a DFW-BOI flight. The plane was apparently brand new and hadn't yet had it installed. It was on an ER175. That was a fun 3 hours staring out the window. I prepared by charging my devices, knowing there would be no power, but fully expected wi-fi, or more so, in-flight entertainment. Neither of which were available.

Last week, LAX-DFW, catering apparently didn't load my pre-ordered meal. FA was apologetic and said he would add some miles to my account. I thought about reminding him.before deplaning, but didn't. Needless to say, I never got the miles.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by fotographer
Be more impressed after you get the miles
FWIW, I received the miles this morning - about 12 hours after the flight landed. That did surprise me.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
I also only received the miles because I mentioned it was an issue for me. People need to speak up to get them.

Also, I was in business class - I do not know if that affects the amount received, or if the fact that it was a 6 hour flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.