Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2019, master thread)

Welcome to the "2019 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: AA Flight Attendants are issued Samsung Galaxy Note handheld devices. These are equipped with the iSolve app, which enables flight attendants to offer AAdvantage members on-the-spot compensation in the form of AAdvantage miles when specific inconveniences happen inflight. Those inflight inconveniences might include such things as inflight entertainment issues, broken seats or meal shortages. link to article by By Lewis Lazare, Chicago Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018

If compensation is not generated onsite or automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

ARCHIVE: 2018 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:21 pm

15 Hour delay on a flight from BCN-JFK-RDU. No status-ticket was booked on miles. The JFK-RDU flight was delayed hour after hour and finally went mechanical after 6 hours. AA bussed us
to a hotel and flew out from LGA the next day.

I complained via the AA link (thought I might be due EU compensation) but I think that only works for the BCN flight. Got a $250 voucher. Is this fair? I'd prefer miles
but don't know what to say now.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marlin
15 Hour delay on a flight from BCN-JFK-RDU. No status-ticket was booked on miles. The JFK-RDU flight was delayed hour after hour and finally went mechanical after 6 hours. AA bussed us
to a hotel and flew out from LGA the next day.

I complained via the AA link (thought I might be due EU compensation) but I think that only works for the BCN flight. Got a $250 voucher. Is this fair? I'd prefer miles
but don't know what to say now.
A recent court case says if your ticket was from BCN-RDU you are due EU 261 comp even if the delay happened completely outside of the EU.

https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/...cp180077en.pdf

Now, whether AA will pay that without a fight is another question. But I'd write back and say you want your EU 261 compensation and cite Claudia Wegener v Royal Air Maroc SA.
wrp96 and fotographer like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:13 pm

Thank you!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:38 pm
brg

AA trip delay compensation

I was returning from a trip abroad when my incoming flight was late due to a meachanical and I was stuck overnight in MIA
The return to my hometown was delayed and AA only put me on standby,
I reached home over a day late

Where can I go for compensation and what is the usual experience on this
Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brg
I was returning from a trip abroad when my incoming flight was late due to a meachanical and I was stuck overnight in MIA
The return to my hometown was delayed and AA only put me on standby,
I reached home over a day late

Where can I go for compensation and what is the usual experience on this
Thanks
What country were you flying in from?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH DMD, MR SL
Compensation for broken IFE DFW-HKG

So I used miles for an award ticket to send my 18yo to visit a family friend in HKG for spring break. I just spoke with him and he said the IFE at his seat stopped working about 30 mins into the 16+ hour flight. Certainly this is worth some compensation. What should I expect from AA for this?
TIA
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
I had broken IFE in business class from Tokyo to LA two years ago after upgrading into the cabin with miles+copay. I was a Platinum at the time.

AA gave me 15,000 miles after I wrote in. In this case the flight attendant had already tried to improve the situation by offering me a tablet and a compensatory bottle of champagne to take home with me, both of which I mentioned in my note to AA.

My knee-jerk expectation would be to get about 25-35% of the miles used for the ticket back as compensation, perhaps more if you have high status.
ginterparkdj likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
In my experience if you mention your problem on the plane they'll hit you with 10k miles immediately, but that appears to be the limit of their discretion. Writing in after the fact might get you that or I guess 15k as above, but it'd surprise me a bit if they gave you more than that. Myself I've only ever received the 10k at time-of, both for broken IFE (domestic) and a broken seat (wouldn't quite go all the way flat, on AKL-LAX). Probably should have hassled them more on that last one, but I have a big stack of miles I don't ever seem to deplete (though I try) and I'm pretty lazy.
ginterparkdj likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Do Eagle FAs have the tablet functionality to report issues and credit miles? Had a broken seat and all the FA knew to do was tell the captain.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:39 pm
brg

Red face

Originally Posted by threeoh
a family trip to the caribbean
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brg
a family trip to the caribbean
I asked what country your flight originated in because some countries have protections or mandatory compensation for flight delays; however, "the caribbean" isn't a country.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:27 am
brg

Compensation

Originally Posted by threeoh
Grenada
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Question: Does AA label people who complain more than x times in a set period as "complainers" and give them less compensation in the future?

I was on a flight yesterday that had a mechanical delay of over 4 hours. I'm leaning towards not requesting anything, since I got home before bedtime and these things just happen. However, I didn't get several hours of work done, causing Monday to be a mess, and Sunday was stressful and a somewhat wasted day.

Would you request compensation for a 4+ hour mechanical delay, or would you save the complaint for a worse situation?

Thanks.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Mar 11, 2019 at 8:26 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Date: March 7, 2019
AAdvantage Status: EXP/1MM
Fare class: R (Upgraded from N)
What happened: Flying ATL-CLT-EWR. CLT-EWR cancelled due to maintenance. Rebooked on the next flight in a middle seat in Y. That flight delayed due to ATC and without working wifi. Got to EWR four hours late.
Compensation: 7,500 Miles
Comments: Pretty lame compensation for an EXP
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brg

Grenada
Grenada doesn't have any regulation on this that I'm aware of, so I think you are stuck with American's policies, which are that for a mechanical-caused overnight they will pay for a hotel (obligated by CoC) and you may get some miles or a small travel voucher though they are not obligated to do so.

https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=CR#/ is probably the best place to start. Keep it short. If they didn't already pay for your hotel, I'd include a receipt for that and any meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.