Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2019, master thread)

Welcome to the "2019 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: AA Flight Attendants are issued Samsung Galaxy Note handheld devices. These are equipped with the iSolve app, which enables flight attendants to offer AAdvantage members on-the-spot compensation in the form of AAdvantage miles when specific inconveniences happen inflight. Those inflight inconveniences might include such things as inflight entertainment issues, broken seats or meal shortages. link to article by By Lewis Lazare, Chicago Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018

If compensation is not generated onsite or automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

ARCHIVE: 2018 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I'm going to guess that OP is referring to Japan Airlines and really means NRT or HND instead of JAL. It's the only plausible interpretation of OP's post.

OP, if there's an alternate (acceptable) flight from any NYC area airport to BOS, call AA and they should move your parents onto that flight even if saver award seats are not available.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I'm going to guess that OP is referring to Japan Airlines and really means NRT or HND instead of JAL. It's the only plausible interpretation of OP's post.

OP, if there's an alternate (acceptable) flight from any NYC area airport to BOS, call AA and they should move your parents onto that flight even if saver award seats are not available.
Hmm ... was a little fooled by the one day but makes sense.

Could also ask to go to LGA which likely has plenty of options to BOS.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

I'm going to guess this already happened based on the verb tenses in the OP's post.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HepperSchepp
I booked my parents on miles JAL-NYC-BOS in First. The NYC-BOS leg was cancelled and AA could not accommodate until the next day and they needed to be back that night. Are they entitled to any compensation since the re-book was more than 12 hours after the original flight?
I was thinking no, since the JAL-NYC is the same miles as JAL-NYC-BOS. Thanks. :-D
Did you parents take AA up on their reaccomodation or did they find their own way to BOS? If the latter, they are due a refund for the NYC-BOS which may, as you suggest, be $0 / 0 miles.

That's completely separate from compensation, which they may or may not give depending on (a) what caused the delay and (b) where they were flying from (what is JAL?)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire
Advice appreciated...

Date: 3/20/19
Fare Class: I
Flight: PEK > LAX
Situation: Incoming flight arrives on time from LAX. About 1hr before departure, flight is delayed 1.5hrs, then 4hrs, then 6hrs, then 15.5hrs delayed, then cancelled. CK handler comes into lounge to collect her CK and tells us a mechanical issue has cancelled our flight. I call EXP line and am rebooked onto a Cathay Pacific flight (win, but I misconnected in HKG). Arrival to LAX 26hrs late. File a complaint, and AA calls to say it was a weather related cancellation (inbound struck by lightning?).. goodwill gesture of 7,500 miles. I declined the agent's offer because it was an insult of my time and money wasted. I had an onward flight booked on Delta that I paid a SDFC, then a cancel fee too. I requested reimbursement for those costs. Am I screwed?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Originally Posted by mcrw00
What was the reason for the cancellation?
My Brain is Fried. They were flying ON JAL! NRT-NYC-BOS on a First Class Award ticket. I couldn't get NRT-BOS.

They said due to maintenance.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...240Z/KJFK/KBOS
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:15 am

Ye! My Brain is Fried. They were flying ON JAL! NRT-NYC-BOS on a First Class Award ticket. I couldn't get NRT-BOS.

They said due to maintenance and coundnlt' rebook them until morning and they needed to get back that night.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...240Z/KJFK/KBOS
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
Did you parents take AA up on their reaccomodation or did they find their own way to BOS? If the latter, they are due a refund for the NYC-BOS which may, as you suggest, be $0 / 0 miles.

That's completely separate from compensation, which they may or may not give depending on (a) what caused the delay and (b) where they were flying from (what is JAL?)
Mechanical, as yes I meant on JAL! NRT-NYC-BOS on a First Class AA Award ticket. I couldn't get NRT-BOS. So they could not accomadate them within 12 hours and offered to re-book them the next day, but I just got them tickets on B6 and brought them home.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HepperSchepp
Mechanical, as yes I meant on JAL! NRT-NYC-BOS on a First Class AA Award ticket. I couldn't get NRT-BOS. So they could not accomadate them within 12 hours and offered to re-book them the next day, but I just got them tickets on B6 and brought them home.
Unfortunately I don't think you'll get any refund for the unflown segment.

As for compensation / good will gesture, I'd expect between $50 and $200 per person for an overnight delay caused by a mechanical cancellation. YMMV.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer
AA calls to say it was a weather related cancellation (inbound struck by lightning?).. goodwill gesture of 7,500 miles. I declined the agent's offer because it was an insult of my time and money wasted.
Not sure you're going to get a lot more than that when weather is in play. AA has been offering 10-15,000 miles on significant international mechanical delays of 12 hours or more, but those were not weather related.

I had an onward flight booked on Delta that I paid a SDFC, then a cancel fee too. I requested reimbursement for those costs. Am I screwed?
If those flights were on AA or One World, AA would take care of you with separate tickets on misconnects. Book outside those, though, and you absorb all the risk. Now, maybe you write into AA and they'll up the 7,500 to 10K or more, but I wouldn't expect more than that and certainly not any cash reimbursement for your Delta ticket.

There's a blog this morning that might interest you:American Will Still Protect You If You’re Flying on Separate Tickets and Things Go Wrong
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
WiFi Down Entire Flight - Offered 10K AA Miles Compensation (to merge)

Completed a JFK-LAX flight tonight and the WiFi did not work the entire flight (the wireless entertainment function worked fine).

After multiple restart attempts, I was informed that I would be issued 10K miles as a goodwill gesture in recognition of the service outage. I had never been offered this before and was impressed.

The outage kept me from getting some work done, but I do appreciate the gesture.

Have others seen this often, or is it rare?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Be more impressed after you get the miles
FobbyFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:37 am
amm

Similarly, my IFE didn’t work LAX-AKL a few months ago. Purser came by to apologize and give me 10k miles as an apology.

Got the miles in my account in about 4-5 days even though system told her 30 days.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
JFK-MIA on the 763 and Panasonic WiFi didn't work (shocker) and I really had work to do so I actually wrote in and got 7,500 miles. Yesterday ORD-LGA and Viasat WiFi was totally down (wireless IFE worked though). Didn't bother complaining since the work day was pretty much over and the flight was so short.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Panasonic WiFi didn't work (shocker)
Just out of curiosity, how frequently does Panasonic wifi actually work for you? I've never gotten it to do anything but log in and produce errors and load screens. Oh, and take my payment of course. This is across several flights and three devices. Mercifully I don't run into it that often (mostly very good Viasat product on my routes) but my experience has been such that I wonder if it's somehow me, because this couldn't possibly be a commercially viable product if it's how it operates much of the time. (To their credit, I've been able to get refunds from Panasonic - NOT by writing into AA).
bchandler02 and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.