Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2019, master thread)

Welcome to the "2019 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: AA Flight Attendants are issued Samsung Galaxy Note handheld devices. These are equipped with the iSolve app, which enables flight attendants to offer AAdvantage members on-the-spot compensation in the form of AAdvantage miles when specific inconveniences happen inflight. Those inflight inconveniences might include such things as inflight entertainment issues, broken seats or meal shortages. link to article by By Lewis Lazare, Chicago Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018

If compensation is not generated onsite or automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

ARCHIVE: 2018 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Curious for feedback on this response from AA for a recent MX delay involving a replacement aircraft swap after boarding. I sent a two sentence email to AA with the flight info and asking if any compensation was due, preferably voucher, for the delay that was within their control. Total delay was about 90 minutes (not terrible) for a domestic hub to spoke evening flight - last flight of the night, delayed arrival was ~12:30am. This was their response:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations.

Your time is valuable. We understand that. And we know, too, that few things are as frustrating as a delayed flight. I'm sorry that we delivered anything less than a wonderful experience traveling with American on flight AA#### from ### to ###.

It's certainly our goal to operate each and every flight as planned and clearly we missed the mark on your flight. While I can certainly understand your frustration having had this delay to your travel plans, I must respectfully decline your request for compensation. Consequently, it just isn't possible to guarantee airline schedules, which are subject to change without notice. Still, we understand that our customers depend on our schedules, and I wish we had been more successful in minimizing your inconvenience. Please accept our sincere apology.

I know that you didn't have the best experience traveling with us recently, but I do hope you'll give us another try. The next time you travel with us we'll do our best to get you to your destination on time. We appreciate your loyalty being an elite Executive Platinum AAdvantage® member. Thank you for choosing American Airlines.
To be clear, I'm not one of those people that send in a complaint about everything. But I have made it a habit to send a quick comment whenever the delay is entirely within AA's control, and especially when they fail to provide timely communication and updates during a delay. Any thoughts on the response I've received here?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
Curious for feedback on this response from AA for a recent MX delay involving a replacement aircraft swap after boarding. I sent a two sentence email to AA with the flight info and asking if any compensation was due, preferably voucher, for the delay that was within their control. Total delay was about 90 minutes (not terrible) for a domestic hub to spoke evening flight - last flight of the night, delayed arrival was ~12:30am.

Any thoughts on the response I've received here?
My thought is I don't expect compensation for weather delays or short (<4 hour) mechanical delays. I might wish for it, but I don't expect it.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:51 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by tom911
Does travel insurance routinely cover hotel award stays? How do they value the night? Rack rate? Price of miles? Some other number?
No. They don't. They should and base it off the ARV, but they won't do it thanks to the fine print. I had a complete disaster of a trip to South America over the winter holiday. I missed a connecting flight in the very beginning which caused me to miss out on Bolivia entirely. I bopped around Lima for a few days and then re-joined my SO for the flight to Cusco. Unfortunately, when we got to the JW Marriott, I had to do an about face for the US because my aunt had passed away. I told her to stay and finish off the journey, but she left early as well. I re-booked my return flight on UA miles since my original return was from EZE. I also used SkyPesos to get me out of BsAs when I missed my connexion at the beginning of the flight. Taxes and fees (including the 1000 SkyPesos I purchased to get that other award) were covered. The actual miles themselves were not. There were two separate claims related to this trip. One for my illness at the beginning of the trip and one for the death in my family. In theory, there is enough cushion to claim the ARV for the miles, because the contract wording is vague on this point. However, I think I've done enough damage for one year; especially, given how many years I've gone without a claim on my annual plan.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:58 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
To be clear, I'm not one of those people that send in a complaint about everything. But I have made it a habit to send a quick comment whenever the delay is entirely within AA's control, and especially when they fail to provide timely communication and updates during a delay. Any thoughts on the response I've received here?
Delays or cancellations are one thing. They need to be excessive, be within AA's control, AND cause me some sort of financial harm (n.b. missed meeting/appointment or additional expenses) before I would complain. My complaints mostly centre around when things don't work; especially, on AA's newer fleet. My last few trips have included no WC, no recline/IFE, leaky exit door (even when there is no weather), etc. I usually package it all up into a single complaint before sharing with AA because these are generally not isolated events. I also let them know what they've done right in complaints. YMMV.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:35 pm

Curious for feedback on this response from AA for a recent MX delay involving a replacement aircraft swap after boarding. I sent a two sentence email to AA with the flight info and asking if any compensation was due, preferably voucher, for the delay that was within their control. Total delay was about 90 minutes (not terrible) for a domestic hub to spoke evening flight - last flight of the night, delayed arrival was ~12:30am. This was their response:
Originally Posted by threeoh
My thought is I don't expect compensation for weather delays or short (<4 hour) mechanical delays. I might wish for it, but I don't expect it.
Received similar just recently for a short mech delay that was completely within AA's control. In the past, they'd definitely thrown something out in return for the inconvenience.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Advice requested - is compensation warranted?

TLDR: DCA-ORD delayed, showing mis-connect to ORD-RST (last flight of the day). Routed DCA-MSP and had to take Uber MSP-RST.

4/7/2019 DCA-ORD-RST
1st class Booked with miles (110,000 AA miles)
AA1486 DCA-ORD 5:50 pm - 7:17 pm 1h 3m to make connection @ ORD to AA3885 8:20 pm

AA1486 delayed on screen and app to 6:30 pm -7:57 pm (actual 6:32 - 7:42) making for connection of 23 mins - less than MCT. (In coming flight to ORD that was to be AA3885 was showing as on time so no reason to believe it would be delayed) AA 3885 (actual dept 9:03 p)

We tweeted at AA but after no reply, called AA and after discussing our concern they moved us to
AA 4502 DCA-MSP 10p-11:50p (actual 9:54p-11:37p)

We then got an uber from MSP to RST for aprox $95 arriving at RST at 1:30 am.

Discussion:
We were significantly worried that with the projected 23 min connection that the connecting flight doors would be closed and would not make connection. This would have left us in Chicago, 5 hours from Rochester, Mn and not being able to make it to work in the morning.

In retrospect, we would have made the connection because the DCA-ORD flight made better time, and the connecting flight delayed on departure.

We thought we were making a good choice to accept being routed to MSP (90 miles from RST) and then to get a car service to drive us. In the end if we had done nothing we would have made it.

1)Is compensation warranted for routing us to MSP and then us taking an Uber or is nothing here?
2)Commentary on whether it was a wise decision to have done this (despite the outcome) and would you have done anything differently?

Last edited by Carl Christensen; Apr 8, 2019 at 9:46 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
1)Is compensation warranted for routing us to MSP and then us taking an Uber or is nothing here?
You didn't say whether the initial delay was due to weather or something within the airline's control (mechanical, crew, etc.). If it was weather I would not expect anything. If mechanical, maybe something in the $50 range. You could try submitting your uber receipt, too, sometimes that helps them bump up the compensation.

2)Commentary on whether it was a wise decision to have done this (despite the outcome) and would you have done anything differently?
Definitely not unreasonable! Always easy to second guess your choices the next morning, especially if they didn't turn out for the best. But you're taking a gamble, and taking a good gamble and losing is nothing to beat yourself up about. I don't know why the ORD-RST flight was delayed, but there were massive thunderstorms (first of the season) in the ORD area last night so it easily could have gone out on time or been cancelled completely, stranding you overnight in ORD.

Given that AA has flights ORD-MSP at 8:30pm and 10:20pm, I might have stayed on my original ORD flight and then planned to try to get on one of the MSP flights if there was a misconnect. Would have possibly meant a much later arrival, though.

Also the morning flight to RST would have landed 9:30am, depending on where you work and how flexible your schedule is arriving at 10:00am after a flight delay is acceptable at many workplaces.
Carl Christensen likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by threeoh
You didn't say whether the initial delay was due to weather or something within the airline's control (mechanical, crew, etc.). If it was weather I would not expect anything. If mechanical, maybe something in the $50 range. You could try submitting your uber receipt, too, sometimes that helps them bump up the compensation.

Definitely not unreasonable! Always easy to second guess your choices the next morning, especially if they didn't turn out for the best. But you're taking a gamble, and taking a good gamble and losing is nothing to beat yourself up about. I don't know why the ORD-RST flight was delayed, but there were massive thunderstorms (first of the season) in the ORD area last night so it easily could have gone out on time or been cancelled completely, stranding you overnight in ORD.

Given that AA has flights ORD-MSP at 8:30pm and 10:20pm, I might have stayed on my original ORD flight and then planned to try to get on one of the MSP flights if there was a misconnect. Would have possibly meant a much later arrival, though.

Also the morning flight to RST would have landed 9:30am, depending on where you work and how flexible your schedule is arriving at 10:00am after a flight delay is acceptable at many workplaces.
I don't think it was due to weather, but am unsure. What you have outlined now in retrospect would have been a good idea, asking AA to save us a spot on the 10:20pm ORD-MSP flight if we did connect.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Date: April 7, 2019
AAdvantage Status: EXP/1MM
Fare class: R (Upgraded from N)
What happened: Flying PHX-ORD-RDU. Woke up at 3:30 AM to find the 5:15 AM flight was delayed 3.5 hours after a plane went out of service. We ended up leaving 5 hours late. Rebooked on the next ORD-RDU flight which was delayed 45 minutes due to maintenance. Ended up getting home about 4.5 hours late. Amusingly, my original ORD-RDU flight also cancelled due to maintenance so even if I'd made the first PHX-ORD flight I would have gotten home late.
Compensation: 10,000 Miles
Comments: As I pointed out to AA in my email, this was the second time in a month I arrived at my destination over 4 hours late due to maintenance issues.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Date: April 9, 2019
AAdvantage Status: Platinum/1MM
Fare class: N with sticker upgrade
What happened: DFW-SLC last flight of the night went mechanical. 9 hour delay from original 10:28pm departure to 7:15am departure.
Compensation: (basic) hotel, $12 meal voucher, 8,000 miles
Comments: I wasn’t expecting much, so am not complaining
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:52 pm

Date: April 9, 2019
AAdvantage Status: None
Fare class: Economy Award, booked using Avios.
What happened: ORD-PIB (Hattiesburg, Mississippi for those of you who have been slacking off on learning your codes ) Only flight of the day, scheduled to depart ORD at 6pm, at 3pm posts a 3hr delay due to overrunning repairs on the plane's previous day's mechanical failure. Then at 7:30p the plane is about to return to Chicago from Wichita and it goes mechanical again so we are cancelled. Hotel Food Taxi given, and rebooked via Dallas the next day. Get a 787 to Dallas (Lol) and then the DFW-PIB flight ends up being 90 mins late due to crew issues. At one point there were 5 pilots standing at the podium with the GA, all of whom were convinced they were deadheading on the flight and not flying it. They sorted it out in the end. TOTAL DELAY: 21hrs. (9:20p to 6.30p +1)
Compensation: $175 travel voucher plus $12 meal voucher and free taxi to/from and room at the Wyndham Garden Schaumburg which was adequate hotel imo.
Comments: I asked for $250 in the comments form just in case they felt generous but $175 will do.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Compensation Question

I booked my parents on miles JAL-NYC-BOS in First. The NYC-BOS leg was cancelled and AA could not accommodate until the next day and they needed to be back that night. Are they entitled to any compensation since the re-book was more than 12 hours after the original flight?
I was thinking no, since the JAL-NYC is the same miles as JAL-NYC-BOS. Thanks. :-D
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
What was the reason for the cancellation?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where is "JAL"?

That may make a very significant difference.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
JAL is El Lencero Airport (IATA: JAL, ICAO: MMJA) is an airport located at Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico.

No commercial service ... could be pretty complicated Particularly for a one day trip.

AA doesn't fly to JAX from NYC either.
Flying Yazata and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.