Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2019, master thread)

Welcome to the "2019 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: AA Flight Attendants are issued Samsung Galaxy Note handheld devices. These are equipped with the iSolve app, which enables flight attendants to offer AAdvantage members on-the-spot compensation in the form of AAdvantage miles when specific inconveniences happen inflight. Those inflight inconveniences might include such things as inflight entertainment issues, broken seats or meal shortages. link to article by By Lewis Lazare, Chicago Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018

If compensation is not generated onsite or automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

ARCHIVE: 2018 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
The “mixed nuts” were 100% almonds.
I wish it were always 100% almonds! Cashews are vile. All I ever eat are the almonds out of the mix.
FAA1996, Antarius and jerseytom like this.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Sep 13, 2019 at 4:46 pm
Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
This flight has been a comedy of errors. Will do a full write up. I tweeted at AA they said they will “forward to their team” then stopped responding. Also suggested that I tell the pax that was yelled at (I don’t know the guy) to contact AA). To the guy who said AY is nice...true! Not the best seat but great crews and service, flying them out of HKG. AA F is not only worse than every other F product in the sky, it’s worse than AA J on the same plane.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

Can you post a tweet to AA on the (lack of ) service? I think there was another poster having similar issues on another AA flight recently.

Regards

TBS
Here is a link to that thread: Best way to report FA in F, HKG-DFW

The OP in that thread didn't seem to want to press the issue and if I recall correctly they tossed him a couple thousand miles. It certainly seems like going to HKG you will get better service in J than in F and nobody cares.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Ok...here’s my full awesome AA experience.

AA 1285: get on board and find the arm well area where the power plug is located filled with trash from the occupant on the inbound. Plane obviously wasn’t cleaned. Tweet at AA, they don’t care. Added bonus the normal “international business” service of one snack basket pass and a glass of water.

MIA Layover: zero complaints, all staff in Flagship First Dining were great. Thankfully I was able to use that oasis, Flagship Lounge was so overcrowded it was unbelievable.

AA 1061: Lovely non-lie flats for the transcon. Slept the whole flight, no comment on service.

LAX Flagship: popped into FF Dining for a drink before 193. Served greeted me, I asked how he was doing and his response was “this is my Friday night...at least it’s almost over.” Awesome attitude.

AA 193: as mentioned IFE didn’t work, the purser who was a short, bald asian man that really didn’t speak English (perhaps someone recognizes him? Didn’t wear a name tag) told us it was probably broken, too bad. Very gruff and attitude from the get go. Of the two power ports in my seat only one worked. The purser told me my pre-ordered meal was not available because the menu was now different. I picked a new choice. He seemed annoyed and was encouraging people to opt for a cheese plate then bed and not the full meal service. When he took my order he tried to skip over courses, presumably with the intention of not having to serve them.

As mentioned the “amuse bouche” was some almonds and olives. Purser brought out salad with the wrong dressing which he had to replace, brought out wrong side with main, never offered cheese (I would have passed, but still) then brought out the wrong dessert. Come on...at NO POINT during the meal service did they offer beverages. I said I wanted water, and I guess they assumed since they gave out water bottles, that was sufficient.

I suspect there was an issue with the catering because having flown AA F TPAC before this was even worse than their usual offering and as mentioned there were no rolls just sliced white or dark bread. My salt shaker was also broken and the top had to be unscrewed to get salt out.

After the meal I slept for a while. After waking up, I noticed there were no snacks or water or other beverages in the galley and walked back to the fully stocked biz galley for water. Obviously since at no point in this 14h flight did the crew proactively offer a drink, expecting them to be on it would be too much.

I came back to my seat and the other drama unfolded with 1D also going to the biz galley then complaining to an FA who got the purser. Then the same gruff purser yelling at him instead of owning his awful service.

sometime around 5-6 hours before arrival when everyone was sleeping the purser came around woke people up, asked if they were staying in HKG and gave out landing cards. Baffling. Maybe 2 hours later, the other FAs who I almost never saw for the duration of the 14hr flight gleaned that 1D was mad and thought it was appropriate to stand in the aisle between 1A (my seat) and 1D and chat with him, hoping perhaps to cajole him into not complaining. The FA’s loud convo with 1D made it impossible to sleep. It was around 2am at this point. I finally asked them to please keep it down so I could sleep. They did and I went back to bed.

i woke up 1.5h before landing and got up to change out of PJs. Crew were of course not in the cabin or doing breakfast service. I found one FA strapped in and the purser slurping congee from the F catering menu.
Good of them to eat passenger catering before all passengers have been offered breakfast. At this point the one decent FA realizes I haven’t had breakfast. She asks the purser what they have left. With an agitated sigh he stops eating and finally looks. They frantically ask me what I want and I explain i’m waiting for the lav, can I please tell them after I use the bathroom.

After changing, I consult the menu and ask for the American breakfast and then ask if the breads have been loadeded (valid since they clearly weren’t for dinner) purser says NO. The nice FA says yes there are breakfast breads.

I ask the purser if they have hong kong milk tea, he says OK. As the FA is walking out w my tray, she walks past my seat, the purser claps his hands and whistles at her and tells her she went too far. No jam or anything for the croissant (had to ask) and the “milk tea” is just hot water with a tea bag. Just pathetic. The breakfast was more shorthaul domestic F than TPAC 3 class F. Instead of broken salt and pepper none were offered at all. I asked for water it never came.

Since the yelling incident the only time I have seen any crew, other than sitting in the galley ignoring passengers is when they stop by to chat up 1D in hopes he won’t complain. The people in the Row 2 middle have been drinking beverages they brought from LAX presumably since the crew never offer anything.

Not only is this THE worst F flight I have ever taken on any airline, I am hard pressed to think of any BIZ flight on any airline I have flown longhaul that was this bad. The closest I can come is an SAA JNB-ACC flight in J on an ancient A340. So this is “going for great?” Your “Flagship” prestige route international F is marginally better than SAA biz on regional intra-Africa routes. Well done!

Perhaps the most galling thing is that this is much worse than being in AA J on the same plane. I’d like my SWU back. I likely would have had a pleasant, quiet and hassle free flight back in 3A. Kick in the teeth to burn a SWU for the “privilege” of this nonsense.
zpaul likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I need to admit that's really, really bad...
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
...the other drama unfolded with 1D also going to the biz galley then complaining to an FA who got the purser. Then the same gruff purser yelling at him instead of owning his awful service.
Out of curiosity, what was the purser saying?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Where should I address my complaint? Call EXP desk? Seems online form goes nowhere and twitter team stopped responding.

Originally Posted by jAAck
Out of curiosity, what was the purser saying?
Basically that he did nothing wrong, but he was getting loud and abrasive and 1D kept being like “sir...sir...” and trying to calm him down and get a word in.

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 16, 2019 at 9:35 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:14 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Ok...here’s my full awesome AA experience.

AA 1285: get on board and find the arm well area where the power plug is located filled with trash from the occupant on the inbound. Plane obviously wasn’t cleaned. Tweet at AA, they don’t care. Added bonus the normal “international business” service of one snack basket pass and a glass of water.

MIA Layover: zero complaints, all staff in Flagship First Dining were great. Thankfully I was able to use that oasis, Flagship Lounge was so overcrowded it was unbelievable.

AA 1061: Lovely non-lie flats for the transcon. Slept the whole flight, no comment on service.

LAX Flagship: popped into FF Dining for a drink before 193. Served greeted me, I asked how he was doing and his response was “this is my Friday night...at least it’s almost over.” Awesome attitude.

AA 193: as mentioned IFE didn’t work, the purser who was a short, bald asian man that really didn’t speak English (perhaps someone recognizes him? Didn’t wear a name tag) told us it was probably broken, too bad. Very gruff and attitude from the get go. Of the two power ports in my seat only one worked. The purser told me my pre-ordered meal was not available because the menu was now different. I picked a new choice. He seemed annoyed and was encouraging people to opt for a cheese plate then bed and not the full meal service. When he took my order he tried to skip over courses, presumably with the intention of not having to serve them.

As mentioned the “amuse bouche” was some almonds and olives. Purser brought out salad with the wrong dressing which he had to replace, brought out wrong side with main, never offered cheese (I would have passed, but still) then brought out the wrong dessert. Come on...at NO POINT during the meal service did they offer beverages. I said I wanted water, and I guess they assumed since they gave out water bottles, that was sufficient.

I suspect there was an issue with the catering because having flown AA F TPAC before this was even worse than their usual offering and as mentioned there were no rolls just sliced white or dark bread. My salt shaker was also broken and the top had to be unscrewed to get salt out.

After the meal I slept for a while. After waking up, I noticed there were no snacks or water or other beverages in the galley and walked back to the fully stocked biz galley for water. Obviously since at no point in this 14h flight did the crew proactively offer a drink, expecting them to be on it would be too much.

I came back to my seat and the other drama unfolded with 1D also going to the biz galley then complaining to an FA who got the purser. Then the same gruff purser yelling at him instead of owning his awful service.

sometime around 5-6 hours before arrival when everyone was sleeping the purser came around woke people up, asked if they were staying in HKG and gave out landing cards. Baffling. Maybe 2 hours later, the other FAs who I almost never saw for the duration of the 14hr flight gleaned that 1D was mad and thought it was appropriate to stand in the aisle between 1A (my seat) and 1D and chat with him, hoping perhaps to cajole him into not complaining. The FA’s loud convo with 1D made it impossible to sleep. It was around 2am at this point. I finally asked them to please keep it down so I could sleep. They did and I went back to bed.

i woke up 1.5h before landing and got up to change out of PJs. Crew were of course not in the cabin or doing breakfast service. I found one FA strapped in and the purser slurping congee from the F catering menu.
Good of them to eat passenger catering before all passengers have been offered breakfast. At this point the one decent FA realizes I haven’t had breakfast. She asks the purser what they have left. With an agitated sigh he stops eating and finally looks. They frantically ask me what I want and I explain i’m waiting for the lav, can I please tell them after I use the bathroom.

After changing, I consult the menu and ask for the American breakfast and then ask if the breads have been loadeded (valid since they clearly weren’t for dinner) purser says NO. The nice FA says yes there are breakfast breads.

I ask the purser if they have hong kong milk tea, he says OK. As the FA is walking out w my tray, she walks past my seat, the purser claps his hands and whistles at her and tells her she went too far. No jam or anything for the croissant (had to ask) and the “milk tea” is just hot water with a tea bag. Just pathetic. The breakfast was more shorthaul domestic F than TPAC 3 class F. Instead of broken salt and pepper none were offered at all. I asked for water it never came.

Since the yelling incident the only time I have seen any crew, other than sitting in the galley ignoring passengers is when they stop by to chat up 1D in hopes he won’t complain. The people in the Row 2 middle have been drinking beverages they brought from LAX presumably since the crew never offer anything.

Not only is this THE worst F flight I have ever taken on any airline, I am hard pressed to think of any BIZ flight on any airline I have flown longhaul that was this bad. The closest I can come is an SAA JNB-ACC flight in J on an ancient A340. So this is “going for great?” Your “Flagship” prestige route international F is marginally better than SAA biz on regional intra-Africa routes. Well done!

Perhaps the most galling thing is that this is much worse than being in AA J on the same plane. I’d like my SWU back. I likely would have had a pleasant, quiet and hassle free flight back in 3A. Kick in the teeth to burn a SWU for the “privilege” of this nonsense.
After flying SIN-LAX in J on Singapore Airlines's new nonstop yesterday (15.5hrs of pure bliss) I cannot even fathom that someone had this sort of experience ESPECIALLY in an F CABIN.

I am sorry you had such a horrible flight.

I hope AA does something for you.
JoeWoodstock likes this.

Last edited by 355F1; Sep 13, 2019 at 5:25 pm
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 355F1
After flying SIN-LAX on Singapore Airlines's new nonstop yesterday (15.5hrs of pure bliss) I cannot even fathom that someone had this sort of experience ESPECIALLY in an F CABIN.

I am sorry you had such a horrible flight.

I hope AA does something for you.
SQ and AA aren’t just in different leagues, they’re barely playing the same sport. Would my best course of action be to call EXP? Is asking for my SWU back fair as compensation?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
Where should I address my complaint? Call EXP desk? Seems online form goes nowhere and twitter team stopped responding.
Did you tweet @AmericanAir or DM? If DM, you won’t get much of a response. Suggest you put your 193 issues in a Twitter thread with AA on copy. I bet you’d get some retweets from this group. 😉
zpaul and 355F1 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jAAck
Did you tweet @AmericanAir or DM? If DM, you won’t get much of a response. Suggest you put your 193 issues in a Twitter thread with AA on copy. I bet you’d get some retweets from this group. 😉
Tweeted at AA, no reply. Will try again.
355F1 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:45 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
SQ and AA aren’t just in different leagues, they’re barely playing the same sport. Would my best course of action be to call EXP? Is asking for my SWU back fair as compensation?
I agree. I flew AA 193 in J LAX-HKG to Bali last month and SQ J home.

I fly 193 4-5 times per year in J, but never in F.

I would write a complaint. Phone calls aren't going to net you anything.

I would also use Twitter (I don't know how to do that as I don't have any social media but I know that airlines HATE bad comments on the internet and they usually get responses very quickly according to people on this forum.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:03 pm

This route is plagued with issues - mechanical, bad crews, bad food, delays. I wonder what about it makes it so bad. I mean AA overall isn't the best but 193 seems to have it the worst. I used to make the trip down to use SWUs from LAX, but now just take CX from SFO. CX food in J isn't amazing but the service and direct flight more than make up for it. And the few times I fly CX F its like a whole nother world.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:15 pm
Suspended

AA’s response:

”We're so sorry to hear about your experience. We'll be sharing this with Flight Service leadership as well as Food and Beverage. Rest assured appropriate internal action will be taken. We certainly want our Flagship First to be an unbeatable experience, so we appreciate you taking the time to share these details with us. We feel this was outside the norm and for that reason we do hope you remain loyal with us. Your loyalty is great appreciated as is your feedback both positive and constructive.”

so a promise to maybe talk internally and nothing for me, not even an offer of 5,000 lousy RDM. Wow thanks AA! This totally makes me reconsider that contention that you don’t care at all about anyone but CK!

When I told AA twitter this was not an acceptable resolution, their reply was:

”Beyond our apologies for how this went we're not able to offer anything further. Your loyalty is extremely important to us and we apologize again for how this all went...Our team is the best to help in this situation . Our decision here is final. We're sorry you're not happy with our resolution.”

who can I escalate to?

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 16, 2019 at 9:39 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts - please use edit or multi quote
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA’s response:

”We're so sorry to hear about your experience. We'll be sharing this with Flight Service leadership as well as Food and Beverage. Rest assured appropriate internal action will be taken. We certainly want our Flagship First to be an unbeatable experience, so we appreciate you taking the time to share these details with us. We feel this was outside the norm and for that reason we do hope you remain loyal with us. Your loyalty is great appreciated as is your feedback both positive and constructive.”

so a promise to maybe talk internally and nothing for me, not even an offer of 5,000 lousy RDM. Wow thanks AA! This totally makes me reconsider that contention that you don’t care at all about anyone but CK!
You may get another response from AA or even a call. Might take weeks or months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.