Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancelled my non-stop, put me on 1-stop. What can I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cancelled my non-stop, put me on 1-stop. What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Why? Would you not ask if people said here that you won't get it? What do you have to lose by asking? You have much to lose by waiting for relevant responses here compared to calling as soon as you possibly can.
Much to lose...for a flight in September? If you check the times of the post, GetSetJetSet's question was asked and answered in about an hour. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for advice when faced with an unknown situation. It seems odd to criticize someone for asking for help.
SK, JonNYC, USFlyerUS and 14 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I don't want to cancel and book a new flight. AA already rebooked me NYC-MIA-CUN, I just want them to put me on earlier flights, same routing. Seems reasonable that I want to be put on the 1-stop flight that comes closest to my original departure and arrival times.
I see you already rebooked to your satisfaction, but I am just wondering, why not? Unless you got such a good deal on AA that the fare isn't available now on another airline. What makes flying AA so desirable that you are willing to stop in MIA (or DFW or wherever your new connection is). Exit row seating a free checked bags (I could certainly understand that)? Not trying to criticize, just genuinely curious.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:30 am

Another option for some would have been the direct flight from PHL. Not sure if they would do it.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When there is a material change, you may have a reroute or a refund. It always pays to do the research as to what you want before you call. Then you call. Usually simple and easy.

Auto-rebook simply assures that you are holding something, but it has nothing to do with your right to a reroute.
NYC Flyer and airb330 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by erik123
Another option for some would have been the direct flight from PHL. Not sure if they would do it.
Not sure if this is even appealing, but AA will indeed move customer to a nonstop with origin/destination within 300 miles of original city(s) booked.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I personally don’t like accepting a schedule change until the last minute, because it gives me more flexibility for a longer period of time. Once the OP called in to change flights he/she locked themselves in to that.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by donotblink
I personally don’t like accepting a schedule change until the last minute, because it gives me more flexibility for a longer period of time. Once the OP called in to change flights he/she locked themselves in to that.
One negative of doing it this way though is you can't change seats on the new flights until you accept the changes. If you weren't put into desirable seats to start with, then, as the plane fills up, you may not get a seat you want.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I don't want to cancel and book a new flight. AA already rebooked me NYC-MIA-CUN, I just want them to put me on earlier flights, same routing. Seems reasonable that I want to be put on the 1-stop flight that comes closest to my original departure and arrival times.
As last no as you haven’t accepted the change you have the right to request reaccommodation more suitable to you, particularly if the new flights will get you there more than two hours later than the original schedule. But the conventional wisdom is to enhance your success by calling with your preferred routing with seat availability. Making their job easier, sure, but giving your request good chance of success.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by erik123
Yes, they will. Had a canceled JFK-CUN flight in 2016, went from 2PM to 7AM I believe; I politely asked to be routed from PHL. No issues from the agent and the PHL flights were more than 3x the price (hence why I was willing to drive to JFK in the first place--F from JFK was $600 less than Y in PHL).
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Not sure if this is even appealing, but AA will indeed move customer to a nonstop with origin/destination within 300 miles of original city(s) booked.
Interesting, I didn't know if it was just a good agent or AA policy. Now I know, thanks for sharing
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for advice when faced with an unknown situation. It seems odd to criticize someone for asking for help.
My two points were [intended to be]: 1) No matter what anyone says here, you have nothing to lose by calling and asking. 2) While you're asking here, you might be losing the last seat.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
What makes flying AA so desirable that you are willing to stop in MIA (or DFW or wherever your new connection is). Exit row seating a free checked bags (I could certainly understand that)? Not trying to criticize, just genuinely curious.
I could indeed cancel and rebook a B6 nonstop for $30-40 more (base fare), but 1.I'm getting in within 30 minutes of my intended arrival, and not leaving THAT much earlier, 2. I am earning EQM, 3. as EXP I can preselect Exit Row for free, and I have a good shot to be upgraded vs. having to pay B6 more on top of the $30-40 fare difference in order to get an extra legroom seat, or flying Y- on another airline/Paying for Exit Row. At 6'4'', I value that exit row legroom, and/or my upgrade.

Regarding PHL, it looks like there isn't a nonstop out of there in Sept. either (not on my dates at least). I'd still have to connect to PHL from a NYC area airport anyway, might as well just go through MIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.