Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancelled my non-stop, put me on 1-stop. What can I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

I was booked on JFK-CUN in Sept., I guess that flight is going away as there are no more nonstops from NYC to CUN showing up on that date. They rerouted me through MIA. That's fine, if the nonstop is gone, but the flights they put me on get me in 4 hours later than my original flight. There are other NYC-MIA-CUN flights that put me in within 30 minutes of my intended time of arrival. Am I entitled to demand that I be rebooked on those flights instead of the ones AA assigned to me? EXP if it matters. Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If those other flights are on AA you can ask. Or you can get a refund.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If those other flights are on AA you can ask. Or you can get a refund.
Yea, all AA flights. I'd just prefer to leave NYC earlier and arrive earlier.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you tried to call and ask?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you tried to call and ask?
I have not. Wanted to consult FTalk and be sure of what I can ask for before calling in. Literally JUST saw that this happened after reading a thread about Project Oasis and checking if any of my upcoming flights were on the high density 738s. AA never bothered to send me an email notifying me of the change.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Just curious - as an EXP, have you had the good fortune of never having a material schedule change requiring a call? And if you have had to call, has the EXP desk been accommodating under similar circumstances?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just curious - as an EXP, have you had the good fortune of never having a material schedule change requiring a call? And if you have had to call, has the EXP desk been accommodating under similar circumstances?
Cannot think of ever having a material scheduling change requiring a call to AA, no. Always something like the schedule being adjusted by 10 minutes.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
You might want to check the fares as if the fare is lower now- just ask for refund and rebook (whether AA or another carrier).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebranz
You might want to check the fares as if the fare is lower now- just ask for refund and rebook (whether AA or another carrier).
All the one-stops are more expensive than my nonstop was when booked.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
All the one-stops are more expensive than my nonstop was when booked.
What about B6? They still fly non stop from JFK and seem to have some reasonable fares.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

What about B6? They still fly non stop from JFK and seem to have some reasonable fares.
I don't want to cancel and book a new flight. AA already rebooked me NYC-MIA-CUN, I just want them to put me on earlier flights, same routing. Seems reasonable that I want to be put on the 1-stop flight that comes closest to my original departure and arrival times.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds reasonable to me too, especially for an EXP and using their phone line. However, before calling, it would be good to do some "research" (for example on EF) to check fare class availability on the new flights AA picked for you versus the ones you want. It could help to know in advance whether it should make any difference to AA.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Called in. AAgent checked, verified the JFK-CUN nonstop is only operating on Saturday's in Sept. I told her I was fine with the new routing, but preferred flights that got me in closer to my original arrival time. Fed her the flight #s and she made the changes no problem. Selected exit row seats, and the locator on my AA profile shows the comp upgrades requested. So looks like it all worked out. Glad FT inspired me to check my reservations.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I was booked on JFK-CUN in Sept., I guess that flight is going away as there are no more nonstops from NYC to CUN showing up on that date. They rerouted me through MIA. That's fine, if the nonstop is gone, but the flights they put me on get me in 4 hours later than my original flight. There are other NYC-MIA-CUN flights that put me in within 30 minutes of my intended time of arrival. Am I entitled to demand that I be rebooked on those flights instead of the ones AA assigned to me? EXP if it matters. Thanks.
You are entitled to ask. Not sure that you are entitled to demand.

AA has a 50/50 chance of being right if they pick times that depart around your original departure time. They also have a 50/50 chance of being right if they pick flights that arrive around your original arrival time. Sounds like they just happened to pick the wrong one for you but as you found out, all you have to do is call and ask for something very reasonable and you'll normally get it. No demanding necessary.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I have not. Wanted to consult FTalk and be sure of what I can ask for before calling in.
Why? Would you not ask if people said here that you won't get it? What do you have to lose by asking? You have much to lose by waiting for relevant responses here compared to calling as soon as you possibly can.
sonofzeus and arollins like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.