Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How will AA respond to southwest entering Hawaii

How will AA respond to southwest entering Hawaii

Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
This is exactly what I am trying to get to ^
Except that those UA/CX/EK flights do NOT use "the latest hard products" (which is the point I was trying to get to from your original post). That UA flight uses their OLD 2-4-2 J. CX flies 773s with their regional J (that is Y+ on longhaul). EK flies J/Y A380s on those routes, not their latest F.

You're dreaming if you think AA is going to make better money flying B788s to Hawaii than Europe.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by airb330
I am happy for CA residents, but I don't see WN making much of a difference for us on the east coast. I can't even get to California easily on WN unless I go to BWI. Even from BWI, the options to HNL on WN are slim (1) and they can't seem to find a return flight. Enjoy the $49-$149 crazy fares while they last, I am a bit jealous I will admit!

All of the lay flat routes tend to have higher fares: AA puts a higher price on the DFW/ORD flights, as does HA with their JFK/BOS, and lastly so does UA on the IAD/EWR flights. I'll still choose one of those options over East Coast-California-Hawaii unless the prices were signigicantly different. I am curious about HA's response to WN's limited interisland flights.
The cheap fares are gone. I received an email from Southwest advertising the flights at 12:03 Pacific time, but March and April are already sold out and May is slim pickings.

Heres what June looks like.

Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Those are still pretty good fares for non-elites, with two bags free and no change fee. For Companion Pass holders they like fine, indeed.
Spanish likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by skunker
The cheap fares are gone. I received an email from Southwest advertising the flights at 12:03 Pacific time, but March and April are already sold out and May is slim pickings.
Should have hung out at FT. The cat was out of the bag at 6:16 am PST!
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30845742-post1.html

Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
FYI AA has responded with a fare sale. I saw basic economy lax-ogg r/t for $318, but I paid the extra $60 for main cabin.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by drewdawg199
FYI AA has responded with a fare sale. I saw basic economy lax-ogg r/t for $318, but I paid the extra $60 for main cabin.
That isnt a response. That fare has been there for a least a month. AS has BE from SAN for $300. Again, it has been there for as this discussion has been going on in this forum.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Nope, my dates have been $538 for basic economy consistently (September), they literally just dropped it to $318 today
JonNYC and Spanish like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Nope, my dates have been $538 for basic economy consistently (September), they literally just dropped it to $318 today
^
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We scored 5 - $350 rt regular economy in AA for end of May! It would have been $250 rt if we stayed in OGG or KOA instead of HNL. Unbelievable, never seen a $250 fare before DFW-OGG/KOA, saw $350 DFW-HNL once in the last 10 years. These fares are really good for DFW which rarely if ever see fare sales.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Were definitely past the if stage and youre wrong (as are other some of the other posters) about the expectations about fares; there will most definitely be a fare war.
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
We scored 5 - $350 rt regular economy in AA for end of May! It would have been $250 rt if we stayed in OGG or KOA instead of HNL. Unbelievable, never seen a $250 fare before DFW-OGG/KOA, saw $350 DFW-HNL once in the last 10 years. These fares are really good for DFW which rarely if ever see fare sales.
Sounds like a bit of a fare war
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Agreed. Summer fares from PHX-HNL are about $130 less today than lass weekend ($748 vs. $870) -- still VERY high IMHO.

At these fares, they should give us a free snack like they do the DFW/ORD-Hawaii flights.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA is going to lose a lot of revenue on Hawaii flights. Usually, the first response will be to compete on fare, but eventually AA will pull out some Hawaii capacity and move it to more business oriented routes,
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by unionunionunion
AA is going to lose a lot of revenue on Hawaii flights. Usually, the first response will be to compete on fare, but eventually AA will pull out some Hawaii capacity and move it to more business oriented routes,
Unfortunately for us business travelers, Hawaii remains primarily a leisure destination. My sense is that historically a large percentage of passengers to the islands have been on awards tickets. WN entering the market won't affect people who want to use AAdvantage points much.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Unfortunately for us business travelers, Hawaii remains primarily a leisure destination. My sense is that historically a large percentage of passengers to the islands have been on awards tickets. WN entering the market won't affect people who want to use AAdvantage points much.

I disagree. If AA drops fares to compete, that lost revenue has to come from somewhere. The first target would be number of awards released to that destination. So it certainly could have an impact on award travelers.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
My sense is that historically a large percentage of passengers to the islands have been on awards tickets.
I'm curious how true that really is. Hawaii fares are so low now that usually they're a bad use of AA miles IMO, even after all the cuts and devaluations to AAdvantage since Dougie took over. Many times the value of the redemption is less than 1 cpp when I've looked. And even premium fares are quite reasonable especially if booked in advance.
enpremiere likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.