Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How will AA respond to southwest entering Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will AA respond to southwest entering Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by skunker
Fares have already been really cheap from the west coast. AS has $300 BE fares from SAN.
HA and AA have ~$500 flights from JFK to KOA
Flights from BWI to LIH are $435 on AA (BE fare).

How much lower are people looking for?
$99 RT LAX-HNL, baby!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
$99 RT LAX-HNL, baby!
i was thinking $98 RT

To the earlier poster, the consistent price for the next six months for me to get to HNL is $700-$800 RT regardless of airline

A cheap flight to the coast and then a $98 southwest fare crushes aa
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Nuhusky

i was thinking $98 RT

To the earlier poster, the consistent price for the next six months for me to get to HNL is $700-$800 RT regardless of airline

A cheap flight to the coast and then a $98 southwest fare crushes aa
Again, I think you need to check current Southwest pricing strategy.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Again, I think you need to check current Southwest pricing strategy.
you do know I’m not serious right?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:14 pm

Fares have already been really cheap from the west coast. AS has $300 BE fares from SAN.
HA and AA have ~$500 flights from JFK to KOA
Flights from BWI to LIH are $435 on AA (BE fare).

How much lower are people looking for?
It’s not what I want. It’s just that law of supply and demand is not optional. :-)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I don’t think it will effect AA much at all. WN isn’t planning an initial flights from any cities that AA serves non stop. I think the battle is going to be much more with AS. Obviously more capacity has to effect the overall market some, but I think the long term effect to AA will be limited.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:36 pm

you do know I’m not serious right?
Based on your other posts, no.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I’m east coast and for me to get to Hawaii on a non discount day is in the $800 range. If southwest gets my round trip total cost down to $400 that’s a pretty big savings for me
Nickel a mile fares - on average - are nowhere near sustainable. WN's NON-FUEL casm handily exceeds that.
MKE-MR and railmatt like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Based on your other posts, no.
there is optimistic thinking and then insanity. $99 west coast to hnl falls into the latter no?

i would settle for a price point south of $250 to be extremely compelling though and I am sure would shift pax to wn. Wn might not fly from lax and sure aa can hope connecting pax stay on aa but unless they want to loose Hawaii as a market they need to compete

they can’t count on phx and DFW to save them.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
WN is rarely the price leader in my (admittedly close-in) searches for tickets in the lower 48...why would Hawaii necessarily be different? I think HA has to be more worried than AA about WN's Hawaiian adventure.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive

You know what I want from Southwest flying to Hawaii? Daytime return flights. Redeye into LAX or PHX on AA is not my idea of a good time.
THIS! I actually booked the whole family of 4 on some award trips that were scheduled to be in March. We were on the daytime return flight and out of no where the flight was pulled from the schedule and we were changed to the redeye. We ended up cancelling and are doing a Caribbean cruise instead.
skunker and diver858 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
$99 RT LAX-HNL, baby!
People Express!
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
And I want a pony.

I'm guessing you haven't recently priced Southwest against other carriers have you. Sure, they run intra-California $39-59 each way sales, but their pricing on other routes is comparable or more than the big 3 carriers.
And once they sell out the Wanna Get Away fare buckets, they can run 50% or more higher than the Legacy 3 option. We had some family emergencies that required last minute bookings in 2017-18 and for a couple of those, the WN option booked a week out was literally twice what American was pricing at. When you're looking at $450 more for the WN option, 'free bags' doesn't seem like such a good selling point.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
My home airport is SAN, which is one of the announced airports Southwest will be flying from. AS and HA already have non-stops and flights are already under $400 so I have no reason to go to LAX to catch a Southwest flight.
Those wanting $400 flights from the east coast on the other hand...
For the non-elite, with competitive fares. WN is very appealing to a lot of people who don't want to pay baggage fees and/or don't want to get stuck in a middle seat.
I fly them as the situation arises. Of course, if WN flies out of LAX to Hawaii and you live in SAN, then that would be a bit of a disincentive
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
For the non-elite, with competitive fares. WN is very appealing to a lot of people who don't want to pay baggage fees and/or don't want to get stuck in a middle seat.
I fly them as the situation arises. Of course, if WN flies out of LAX to Hawaii and you live in SAN, then that would be a bit of a disincentive
I fly southwest a lot (A List Prefered) and not being in a middle seat is only guaranteed if you have status or pay for early check in. Unlike AA, status on Southwest does not transfer to the other people on the same PNR. I’ve been low A and my kids were in the Bs.

Southwest hasn’t announced if/when they will be flying from LAX to Hawaii, but they did announce SAN was one of the first cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.