Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award flights booked AA.com - does BA charge for seat assignments and baggage?

Old Feb 10, 19, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SW, Hilton, , UAL plebe, AA plebe

Specifically looking for a 1 way BA combination from IST - SFO, probably in business. 2 of the 3 flights are on British airways, do they charge additional feed for seat assignments and checked baggage? I'm not a status member on AA.

Thanks

RRZ
Old Feb 10, 19, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LPP Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by rrz518 View Post
Specifically looking for a 1 way BA combination from IST - SFO, probably in business. 2 of the 3 flights are on British airways, do they charge additional feed for seat assignments and checked baggage? I'm not a status member on AA.

Thanks

RRZ
seat assignments in Business will be free 72 hours before flight and for a fee prior. Baggage will be according to Business allowance. This is provided you fly Business as mentioned
Old Feb 10, 19, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Thanks

RRZ
For all my AA-issued award tickets for BA flights and BA-issued award tickets for BA flights, the BA flights included some free checked baggage allowance. BA hand-baggage-only fares for BA flights can't be booked with AA miles.
Old Feb 10, 19, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As AA will be the marketing carrier of the first segment, it will be AA's baggage allowance which applies and that will include one or more bags for any ticket to the US which may be purchased with AA miles.
Old Feb 10, 19, 7:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Thanks

RRZ

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As AA will be the marketing carrier of the first segment, it will be AA's baggage allowance which applies and that will include one or more bags for any ticket to the US which may be purchased with AA miles.

Really? On an AA award originating in Istanbul? I’d have thought that would be, as would be the entire trip, marketed and operated by BA. That would mean the former posts are correct.

Unfortunately, redeeming AA miles in BA - particularly transatlantic (IST-LHR using BA connecting to AA to DFW, LAX, PHX etc. would reduce that but require a connection) will incur considerable carrier imposed fees / surcharges. How to Avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia) (master thread)