Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Did international business become economy on the domestic leg?

Did international business become economy on the domestic leg?

Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Looking at AA 2420 on April 17, its J7 D7 I0. I suspect that because I class wasn't available, OP may have a broken fare with Y from ABQ to DFW, and then I from DFW to BUD. -- OP -- I suspect the price difference between a D fare ABQ-DFW-LHR-BUD is more than $100 so this worked to your advantage even if you use a couple of coupons to upgrade.
It's very unlikely that it is a broken fare. If the OP is ticketed in Y (as in full fare economy class bucket) then it means that I was not available but the fare permits or requires booking into Y in such a case.

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Even the cheapest currently filed "I" fare tickets permit seating in "I" on domestic legs, with "Y" permitted if no "I" inventory is available. Assuming the entire ticket involves a fare basis starting with "I", you're entitled to first class seats on ABQ-DFW at no extra charge if/when "I" inventory is released. Once ticketed, call AA, ask them to review the fare rules and booking codes associated with the fare. You should be able to waitlist for "I" class, and even if inventory is never released, you should be ahead of all complimentary upgrades on the airport standby list. If the first agent can't help, HUCA, ask for a supervisor, etc. Good luck!
Once the itinerary is ticketed there is no going to a higher class. The passenger accepts the itinerary and that's it. All business class fares allow booking into full fare Y when the appropriate business class bucket is not available.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Once the itinerary is ticketed there is no going to a higher class. The passenger accepts the itinerary and that's it. All business class fares allow booking into full fare Y when the appropriate business class bucket is not available.
There is no issue rebooking into the higher cabin if availability opens up
NYC Flyer and Beltway2A like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
AA always allows buying up to a higher class on the same flights and they will waive any change fee. In this case, if it is in fact a through-fare ABQ-BUD (which frankly I would be surprised if AA has filed a fare for this route, but I haven't checked), with a leg voluntarily downgraded into Y, then the buy-up fare difference would be $0.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gvizkelethy
They just were not willing to understand the problem and wanted $100 for an ABQ-DFW ( ~500 miles) upgrade to first class (from which already should have been first class).
And I did call before I bought the ticket, spending almost an hour with different tAA agents, but it did not help.
If it was clearly disclosed during the booking process and I chose to complete the transaction anyway, I would have either suffered in Y for 90 minutes, chalking it up to the int'l-connection-F-bucket (or whatever you want to call it) being filled for that itinerary for some reason, or just paid the $100 rather than spend an hour on the phone arguing.

ETA - Or was there a different ABQ-DFW flight available with F? I have seen plenty of options when booking where the domestic leg of an int'l itin only has Y available on one flight, but the flight before or after has F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.