Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia Business Class Jfk-Zur (Mad)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Iberia Business Class Jfk-Zur (Mad)

Good morning - looking to book 2 business class tix Jfk - Zur for 28 Dec using AA Miles. I’ve called AA 5 times now and been told no availability. Looks like it is available on BA Avios.

Are IB upgrades this much in demand?

trying to avoid drive to PHL and burning 135k per person one way on a 767 (gasp) and already know I’ll need to pay BA charges on way back.

thanks for advice
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
1) Welcome to Flyertalk.

2) By ZUR do you mean Zurich? If so the airport code is ZRH.

3) Dec 28th is long time from now. Just because seats aren't available today, does not mean they won't be available at some time in the future.

4) IB and BA (or the AA 767 via PHL) aren't your only options. AA (currently) flies it's own metal to MAD from JFK, and it's own metal to LHR from JFK. Both places you can look to connect onward from. If you fly AA over the Atlantic the BA surcharges for the intra-Europe leg are much lower. This far out you shouldn't consider yourself "locked" in to booking BA.

5) That said AA Saver award space on it's own metal is somewhat difficult to find (AA is not releasing much). Altough I just booked two ZRH-PHL AA Saver J seats the other day.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Gold
You could also try JFK-HEL-ZRH in AY J.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:38 am

That's very interesting. IB makes more seats available to their own members, and I've been able to get several tickets using their site when they didn't show up on AA.

However I confirmed that both the BA and QANTAS sites see the award you described! It seems like this is a problem on AA's end, intentional or not. If you call AA again, I'd try feeding them the flight numbers directly, IB6250/3464, if you haven't already.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Agreed - definitely looks like AA issue. Just called again with flight numbers and was told only economy seats despite seeing on ba.com
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
FYI, Iberia do sell upgrades in case you’re unsuccessful. It’s an auction system and you will find it under manage my booking on their website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.