Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Possible? JFK-LAX paid Business (I) to First, for Free (not using SWU)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry

Regarding 3 class JFK - LAX (or LAX - LAX) direct flights: if I buy a business class ticket (fare code "I", paid by $), am a eligible for a free upgrade to the first class (I am EXP)? In other words, is there an upgrade list from business class to first class, similar like economy to business/first (1 class) upgrade?

On my travel date, all first class seats are available, and SWU is available from business to first. But, of course, I am not going to use SWU for JFK - LAX - JFK trips. So I am wondering if automatic free upgrade is offered to CX/EXP. If not, what happens to the empty seats in the first class?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
You are not eligible for free upgrades. You potentially could get bumped if J is oversold, but not sure how common that is.
The F cabin either goes out with some empty seats or filled with nonrevs.
Tintin, C17PSGR and Quinlanty like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
You are not eligible for free upgrades. You potentially could get bumped if J is oversold, but not sure how common that is.
The F cabin either goes out with some empty seats or filled with nonrevs.
Thanks very much. Good information. AA should think about upgrading paid Business class pax to F if there are empty seats available. Oh! well! Let me see how it works for my flight. All F seats are empty now!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:03 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I believe you can upgrade to F from discounted biz for 15,000 points and a $75 copay if there is A inventory open. If you have EF subscription you can check this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
You could get upgraded if J is oversold, but it's much more common that Y is oversold and they need to roll J-F so they can accommodate Y-J upgrades to clear the backlog in Y. The J-F upgrade is rare, but it probably happens to me on 10% of my flights, so it's definitely possible.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tintin
Thanks very much. Good information. AA should think about upgrading paid Business class pax to F if there are empty seats available. Oh! well! Let me see how it works for my flight. All F seats are empty now!
If they did that, likely no one would buy F, so I don't think that will ever happen.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Complimentary EP / PRO upgrades are only possible to J, not J to F.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...olicy-faq.html
Tintin likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They certainly have thought about it.
And you certainly can upgrade from J into F.
But you can’t do it with stickers or complimentarily as EP/PPro.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Stickers/e-upgrades are valid from Economy to the lowest premium cabin within "North America" (USA/CAN/MEX/BDA/Bahamas/Carib/CentAmer). In most 2-class services, that means First/Business (R class). In the case of 3-class services (select nonstop transcons), it means Business Class (R class). Stickers/e-upgrades cannot be used to move from Business to First on 3-class services. However, as already noted, you are welcome to use SWUs or miles+copay to upgrade IF inventory is available (A class). Otherwise, you can choose to pay the fare difference to pay up to First. (change fee is waived on up-fare transactions)
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
I believe you can upgrade to F from discounted biz for 15,000 points and a $75 copay if there is A inventory open. If you have EF subscription you can check this.
According to the AA website, upgrading from Discount Business to First in the contiguous 48 U.S. States plus Alaska and Canada is 15,000 miles + $175.

Upgrading from Full-Fare Business to First is 15,000 miles but no co-pay.
JDiver and ijgordon like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:18 pm

Nope, unless you want to pay with either cash or miles, or both. Those F seats will more than likely go to non-revs
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Langham Voyager
Or, use a Business Extra BXP1 to upgrade into A space with no copay. All in all, not a bad use of those
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Also worth noting you can use a SWU.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
Also worth noting you can use a SWU.
OP said, " I am not going to use SWU for JFK - LAX - JFK trips"
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
AA should think about upgrading paid Business class pax to F if there are empty seats available.
I'm sure they have thought about it many times. Current policy is decades-old and pre-dates complimentary upgrades (I'd wager it even pre-dates the existence of "Executive" Platinum status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.