Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX-MIA 777 Business award lower cost now - can I switch?

Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:46 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold

I have two questions about an upcoming flight in May.

1. A few weeks ago
I redeemed 45,000 miles for a business class ticket flying LAX-MIA flight on a two class 777. A few days later the aircraft was changed to a narrow body airbus. AA automatically booked me in First on that flight. But then I noticed a three class 777 was added to the schedule. So I called AA today and was rebooked in business class on that flight. But I see they’re currently selling business class tickets for only 32,500 miles for this flight. Am I eligible for a mileage refund for the difference?

2. When I used to fly in a premium cabin LAX-MIA on a three class 777, I was able to use the Flagship Lounge or Admirals club, depending on the cabin. But from what I just read, lounge access is now only available on a few transcontinental routes and MIA-LAX isn’t one of them. Is this correct or was I reading outdated info? Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:11 pm

1. put a new reservation on hold.
use first name slightly diff: JohnQuincy for instance.
dont put advantage number on record.

call to cancel original reservation.
ask for free redeposit due to sched change.

ticket the new reservation.

2. no lounge access
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Is s change of aircraft considered a schedule change? Because initially that was all that changed.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:31 pm

Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Lie flat to crap F seat usually is sufficient. If they say know, hang up and call again.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Lie flat to crap F seat usually is sufficient. If they say know, hang up and call again.
I believe their is a policy for international flights for "change of gauge" or something like that.
I was able to get a domestic flight changed for this, but I did not find a domestic polcy.
I had a MIA-DFW flight that went from 777 with MCE seats giving a choice of the Prem Economy seating, to a 752.
I was able to switch to an earlier 777, which was my preference but originally had a higher fare.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire
Same thing happened to an award ticket I booked for family member. EXP agent redeposited and reissued the award in just a few minutes. I saved 15,000 miles. Agent recommended that I check redemption rates every couple of weeks for any ticketed award travel. Same goes for rental cars when paying cash... saved $100's by checking. Hertz automatically refunds change in price.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer
Same thing happened to an award ticket I booked for family member. EXP agent redeposited and reissued the award in just a few minutes. I saved 15,000 miles. Agent recommended that I check redemption rates every couple of weeks for any ticketed award travel. Same goes for rental cars when paying cash... saved $100's by checking. Hertz automatically refunds change in price.
Were the miles from your account or the family member's? If from your account, then redeposit is free, so the OP might not have this option, as they do not indicate they are EXP
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:45 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Unfortunately for me, I’m just a lowly Platinum. I called today and was told my miles would have to be redeposited for $150 and a new reward ticket would need to be issued. That clearly isn’t worth it but all things considered I’m not terribly upset. I paid 45,000 miles, (minus a 10% credit of 4,500 miles) since I have an AA World Mastercard. Paying 40,500 miles for a lie flat business class seat that’s selling for $1,200.00 isn’t such a bad deal. Thanks much to everyone who replied.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire
Originally Posted by mvoight
Were the miles from your account or the family member's? If from your account, then redeposit is free, so the OP might not have this option, as they do not indicate they are EXP
Yes, the award redeposit is comp'd due to EXP. Not sure if the agent in my case did a full refund, then reissue, or something different. Maybe OP, as PLAT, can find an agent willing to waive fee depending if it is a full refund/reissue scenario. FWIW- the record locator for my sister never changed and inbound was never touched.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.