FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   JFK- CDG / AA Nonstop old B767 or A350 IB Worth via MAD? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1955284-jfk-cdg-aa-nonstop-old-b767-a350-ib-worth-via-mad.html)

jpschoubert Feb 8, 2019 1:05 pm

JFK- CDG / AA Nonstop old B767 or A350 IB Worth via MAD?

Opinion needed - Excuses if wrong forum - Flying back of the bus to Paris, is it worth the detour via MAD on IB (good connections) to try the a350? Or is it comparable to the B787 experience with an extra inch width? No chance of upgrade (basic eco) even w/OW Elite status :-(

Been on AA metal, old bird, I think they are swapping it soon to a B777.

JJeffrey Feb 8, 2019 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jpschoubert (Post 30754984)
Opinion needed - Excuses if wrong forum - Flying back of the bus to Paris, is it worth the detour via MAD on IB (good connections) to try the a350? Or is it comparable to the B787 experience with an extra inch width? No chance of upgrade (basic eco) even w/OW Elite status :-(

Been on AA metal, old bird, I think they are swapping it soon to a B777.

In economy take the quickest option i.e. the AA flight on the 763 or whatever bird they're using on your date. In coach outside of minor nuances there's no material difference between A350's and 787's.

Coach is coach, no way on earth is economy class on an IB A350 worth the extra travel time, added hassle of another security check and terminal change at MAD, and the torture that is IB intra-Europe economy class on MAD-CDG.

The AA 763's are dated for sure but they actually offer decent seat width and legroom compared to most 787/350/777's these days.

The _Banking_Scot Feb 8, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi,

Also IB is BoB ( buy on board) for the european short haul. I would go for the quickest route also in Y.

Regards

TBS

zip10001 Feb 8, 2019 1:29 pm

If you fly AA 44/45 in coach, bring a book or your own entertainment as there is no video screen. Also the schedule is not great if you plan on sleeping on the red-eye (it leaves too early from JFK).

dll Feb 8, 2019 2:34 pm

If you're traveling with a companion I'd actually argue that the AA 763 is BETTER in coach than the A350. 2x3x2, comfortable seats and decent legroom. Particularly on the overnight segment where you're more likely to be sleeping than watching TV, I'd say it's the better choice.

lowfareair Feb 8, 2019 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by dll (Post 30755290)
Particularly on the overnight segment where you're more likely to be sleeping than watching TV, I'd say it's the better choice.

This. Those 763 Y seats are nicely padded with additional legroom - they are great for the ride over if a PTV is not a necessity.

jpschoubert Feb 8, 2019 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30755052)
In economy take the quickest option i.e. the AA flight on the 763 or whatever bird they're using on your date. In coach outside of minor nuances there's no material difference between A350's and 787's.

Coach is coach, no way on earth is economy class on an IB A350 worth the extra travel time, added hassle of another security check and terminal change at MAD, and the torture that is IB intra-Europe economy class on MAD-CDG.

The AA 763's are dated for sure but they actually offer decent seat width and legroom compared to most 787/350/777's these days.

Thanks - yeah was not sure if the juice was worth the squeeze. Thanks for your insight JJeffrey, will do the nonstop, at least my status will get me a bulkh or something decent.

jpschoubert Feb 8, 2019 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 30755315)
This. Those 763 Y seats are nicely padded with additional legroom - they are great for the ride over if a PTV is not a necessity.

Thanks everyone, AA metal it will be! Only IFE will be Ozark, Narcos and maybe some Jack Ryan. Good point re the early departure, not very conducive for sleeping. Have a 3 hr TGV ride after that so will catch my ZZZs on arrival. Thanks again. Would reroute for an A380 though..

gateH15 Feb 8, 2019 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jpschoubert (Post 30755364)
Thanks everyone, AA metal it will be! Only IFE will be Ozark, Narcos and maybe some Jack Ryan. Good point re the early departure, not very conducive for sleeping. Have a 3 hr TGV ride after that so will catch my ZZZs on arrival. Thanks again. Would reroute for an A380 though..

763 has a WiFi. Just don’t forget to bring external phone battery. Also if you are on basic economy you have better change not to be in a middle seat on 763 vs IB a350