Business Class sold out (but not really)

Old Feb 8, 19, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Business Class sold out (but not really)

I am trying to book PHL-LHR on certain dates in May and November. When I look for 1 seat in Business class it says “1 seat left.” When I look for 2 seats, it says “Not available.” But the seat map shows every seat unoccupied and Expert Flyer shows J7. I suspect something is wrong with the way the Fare Codes are loaded. I called AA and they directed me to AA Web Services. They acknowledged the issue over a week ago but have yet to fix it. Not sure what to do next…have you seen this issue before?
E55 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 19, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
I am trying to book PHL-LHR on certain dates in May and November. When I look for 1 seat in Business class it says “1 seat left.” When I look for 2 seats, it says “Not available.” But the seat map shows every seat unoccupied and Expert Flyer shows J7. I suspect something is wrong with the way the Fare Codes are loaded. I called AA and they directed me to AA Web Services. They acknowledged the issue over a week ago but have yet to fix it. Not sure what to do next…have you seen this issue before?
Is AA able to book what you need?
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
AA plays funny games with inventory sometimes. Just booked a trip to HNL and noticed that there were dates where OKC-DFW-HNL was J7 but DFW-HNL would be J0. Never thought they would manage inventory like that but it seems they do.
Old Feb 8, 19, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
AA plays funny games with inventory sometimes. Just booked a trip to HNL and noticed that there were dates where OKC-DFW-HNL was J7 but DFW-HNL would be J0. Never thought they would manage inventory like that but it seems they do.
That is not funny games when DFW is hub of wheel with many many spokes that feed into it. If each feeder to hub is allowed 1/10 of 1 seat to for cancelations you can easily zero out 7 seats.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 8, 19 at 4:00 pm Reason: Close quote
Old Feb 8, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Is AA able to book what you need?
Yes but the price was over $10,000 RT. And that is business out and economy back. I'm obviously not going to pay that...
Old Feb 8, 19, 8:42 pm

When I've seen this issue before they claim "code share seats"
Old Feb 8, 19, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
That is not funny games when DFW is hub of wheel with many many spokes that feed into it. If each feeder to hub is allowed 1/10 of 1 seat to for cancelations you can easily zero out 7 seats.
Yeah but to completely zero out DFW? GTFO.
Old Feb 9, 19, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
Also noticed that. Many times flight from DFW are J0 while the exact same flight, if booked as a connection have some seats available. I can’t really understand the logic here because ex-DFW tickets are usually very pricey compared to other ports, and while they may want to limit ticket sales from a city, holding off full J isn’t really making sense.
E55 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 19, 9:09 am
E55

If they zero out J from DFW, they can go J7 in dozens more connecting markets. They know they'll fill up and probably over sell in Y from their hub, so it makes sense to use J to offer premium priced seats (vs deep discounted Y) in other markets if they can sell them.

Use the J seats/service to sell at a premium where a connection is required and where aa faces more competition, which would otherwise push down prices. Very logical (really).

Originally Posted by shd9 View Post
Also noticed that. Many times flight from DFW are J0 while the exact same flight, if booked as a connection have some seats available. I can’t really understand the logic here because ex-DFW tickets are usually very pricey compared to other ports, and while they may want to limit ticket sales from a city, holding off full J isn’t really making sense.
Old Feb 9, 19, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by E55 View Post
If they zero out J from DFW, they can go J7 in dozens more connecting markets. They know they'll fill up and probably over sell in Y from their hub, so it makes sense to use J to offer premium priced seats (vs deep discounted Y) in other markets if they can sell them.

Use the J seats/service to sell at a premium where a connection is required and where aa faces more competition, which would otherwise push down prices. Very logical (really).

I can see no logical argument for zeroing out the seats on the hub nonstop—versus opening only high fare buckets and offering them for sale at a price that would make up for the non-hub advantages you bring up.
Old Feb 9, 19, 3:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
I can see no logical argument for zeroing out the seats on the hub nonstop—versus opening only high fare buckets and offering them for sale at a price that would make up for the non-hub advantages you bring up.
What about competition?

Example: from many airports in Texas, but AA and UA offer service to their hubs at DFW and IAH. People who live in the metroplex or the Houston area are essentially hub captives. I often see fares from AUS to DFW to Asia for several hundred dollars less than simply taking the same leg DFW to Asia.

Shortly after the US-AA merger, I remember reading through threads (trying to acclimate myself to the forum) about some folks on the eastern fringes of Dallas driving out to Tyler, then flying to DFW and onward from there, often saving quite a bit (plus getting an extra segment and EQM). I'd guess that Waco or Killeen could be similar (Austin seems a bit far to drive, but I'm sure some do that too).
Old Feb 9, 19, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
What about competition?

Example: from many airports in Texas, but AA and UA offer service to their hubs at DFW and IAH. People who live in the metroplex or the Houston area are essentially hub captives. I often see fares from AUS to DFW to Asia for several hundred dollars less than simply taking the same leg DFW to Asia.

Shortly after the US-AA merger, I remember reading through threads (trying to acclimate myself to the forum) about some folks on the eastern fringes of Dallas driving out to Tyler, then flying to DFW and onward from there, often saving quite a bit (plus getting an extra segment and EQM). I'd guess that Waco or Killeen could be similar (Austin seems a bit far to drive, but I'm sure some do that too).
Isn't the price difference in this case more often attributed to different fare filings for DFW-PEK vs AUS-DFW-PEK as opposed to completely zeroing out inventory?
Old Feb 9, 19, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by FlyerWx View Post
Isn't the price difference in this case more often attributed to different fare filings for DFW-PEK vs AUS-DFW-PEK as opposed to completely zeroing out inventory?
Exactly.

It's not a price difference when there's no price at all for one of the options.
Old Feb 9, 19, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Yes but the price was over $10,000 RT. And that is business out and economy back. I'm obviously not going to pay that...
Which dates? Is this for May to LHR and November return to PHL?
I found that for $4558 for Business both ways on aa.com for BA or AA flights
Old Feb 10, 19, 7:46 am

Have you looked through BA? Maybe even BA Holidays (or AA Vacations) would work. Get a 3-night hotel and ditch it if need be.

Search this Thread