Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question re flight change issue causing missed international connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold

Booked flights from SAN to St. Marten using points a while ago (maybe 6 months). The trip home on 2/24 was supposed to be SXM leaving around 3 to CLT to SAN. Earlier this week I was notified that the SXM to CLT time changes and would cause me to miss the SAN connection. I’m platinum and have callled the platinum desk a few times RE possible new flights. Seems that I get different answers from every agent. I was told today that none of the AA options would get me to SAn on 2/24. Essentially I would need to do an overnight on 2/24 in CLT.

I am am just trying to see what my options are. Does AA need to book me on another airline because of the schedule change? I think I can fly Delta and get back late on 2/24 through ATL.

Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:48 am

Back just a few years ago they would be likely to book you on UA or DL if they couldn't get you home the same day because of a schedule change. They are now likely to try to keep you on AA even if you have to overnight because of the schedule change. I'd call and ask for a supervisor if they won't change you to DL.

How much would it cost you to rebook now on UA or DL for the flights you want? You can always ask AA to refund your original ticket and then rebook to get the flights you want on DL.

Good luck.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
I booked using points so the refund would be points. The delta flight is $1,400 for one way. Too expensive for it to make sense to pay cash. Will call back and push for them to put me on another airline
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mjh218
Booked flights from SAN to St. Marten using points a while ago (maybe 6 months). The trip home on 2/24 was supposed to be SXM leaving around 3 to CLT to SAN. Earlier this week I was notified that the SXM to CLT time changes and would cause me to miss the SAN connection. I’m platinum and have callled the platinum desk a few times RE possible new flights. Seems that I get different answers from every agent. I was told today that none of the AA options would get me to SAn on 2/24. Essentially I would need to do an overnight on 2/24 in CLT.

I am am just trying to see what my options are. Does AA need to book me on another airline because of the schedule change? I think I can fly Delta and get back late on 2/24 through ATL.

For a schedule change in advance AA is definitely not going to rebook you on another airline, so don't even bother asking. They will let you cancel and redeposit the miles though for no fee, as mentioned above.

Your best bet is to look at aa.com or Google Flights yourself, do not rely solely on AA to do the research for you. If you find an option that works, call AA back and ask for that. Since this is AA's schedule change, you do not need award availability on the new flights to switch (although some agents mistakenly say so, HUCA if necessary).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
At this point, I think the only option would be to cancel and get a refund. Of course, with 2 weeks notice, that is an issue
I think it is not likely AA will put you on another carrier.
For a one way, it looks like JetBlue has the lowest fare not requiring an overnight stop on Feb 24
That is $666 for one way, connecting at FLL
Have you check other airlines near SXM?
Or flying to LAX or SNA? Not great, but better than buying a last minute ticket
You can get to LAX at 11:15PM on AA

Last edited by mvoight; Feb 8, 2019 at 12:12 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
If you have to overnight, why not overnight at LAX or PHX, which have lots more options to get to SAN in the morning.

Of course, as others have said, look at google flights or expertflyer -- find something that works for you on AA and ask AA to book you on that. Might be an extra stop -- SXM-CLT-PHX-SAN, etc.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
If you have to overnight, why not overnight at LAX or PHX, which have lots more options to get to SAN in the morning.

Of course, as others have said, look at google flights or expertflyer -- find something that works for you on AA and ask AA to book you on that. Might be an extra stop -- SXM-CLT-PHX-SAN, etc.
If the OP can get to DFW or PHX in time for a late night connection to SAN. OP doesn't say what time he gets into CLT so we can't give him specific options.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Your best bet would probably be to take a Seaborne flight to SJU where you have much better options to get home. I am pretty sure american can book them, but not sure if they will on an award ticket.

The main problem is getting them to get you home the same day vs them pushing you to cancel and refund your miles

Of course the JetBlue mentioned earlier is picture perfect pretty much - but I highly doubt AA will put you on them for an award ticket
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
If the OP can get to DFW or PHX in time for a late night connection to SAN. OP doesn't say what time he gets into CLT so we can't give him specific options.
SXM-CLT-LAX gets him to LAX at 11:15PM. The other SXM flight goes to MIA
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. This is not IRROPS, it is an advance schedule change. AA is very unlikely to rebook OA. But, if OP wants to spend some time looking at options, he might as well list them out and ask when he calls AA.
2. Barring that, I would do the research and find a connection xCLT which gets me as close to SAN as possible, so that the flight the next morning is on the shorter side. The LAX arrival at 11:15 PM, with a quick rental to SAN seems to be one of those.
3. Next up is overnighting at CLT. There are decent deals on hotels and it may be the least hassle.

The alternative is to cancel the trip.

Whatever OP does, do not simply call and ask about options. Have what you want ready on a piece of paper.
GWFan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight
The other SXM flight goes to MIA
There’s also an SXM-PHL flight.
But none of the alternatives gets him to SAN on 2/24. SXM-CLT-LAX is the closest he can get on 2/24.
Any other connection point requires an overnight stay.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by GFrye

There’s also an SXM-PHL flight.
But none of the alternatives gets him to SAN on 2/24. SXM-CLT-LAX is the closest he can get on 2/24.
Any other connection point requires an overnight stay.
SXM-CLT-LAX has 1 hour 9 min connection. If no bags and OP has global entry it’s perfextly doable. I’d there is any delay, OP may have to overnight at CLT
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gateH15

SXM-CLT-LAX has 1 hour 9 min connection. If no bags and OP has global entry it’s perfextly doable. I’d there is any delay, OP may have to overnight at CLT
So, this preclearance plan never worked out?
https://www.sxm-talks.com/the-daily-...-daily-herald/
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
So, this preclearance plan never worked out?
https://www.sxm-talks.com/the-daily-...-daily-herald/
I don’t think SXM has preclearnce yet. What I’m surprised that AA is selling ticket with 69 min connection in CLT. I thought MCT is 90 min for int to domestic.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
SJU options can be limited as a lot of SJU flights are sold out that day.

Best SJU option leaves at 1442 and goes through Philly.
Flights from CLT to PHX are sold out on the 24th. So .... only options are to get to SJU or overnight in CLT or LAX.

What's happening on the 24th? I was looking at flights that weekend and they are super booked. Just a Sunday in February or have I missed something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.