Wiki Posts
Search

sigh...settling for premium economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
So this is what it comes to??

I'm looking to book my annual trip to Europe in the fall, and over the years have done either award tickets, SWU, or bought business class. Seeing some really good premium economy fares, but don't like my SWU chances on 20 J seat 787s. So I'm basically settling for premium economy. Feels like a really sad day and I've finally joined the camp that SWUs are worthless.
Book AA90 which is a nice rdayime flight and PE a great product for such a flight - if an upgrade request doesn't clear, then all should be ok anyway

If the upgrades are worthless, as suggested, perhaps a good time to stop worrying about FF schemes and start just picking best flights for individual trips - it is a great way to go
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

I'm looking to book my annual trip to Europe in the fall, and over the years have done either award tickets, SWU, or bought business class. Seeing some really good premium economy fares, but don't like my SWU chances on 20 J seat 787s. So I'm basically settling for premium economy. Feels like a really sad day and I've finally joined the camp that SWUs are worthless.
How about buying a seat in J and not fretting?
rossmacd and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
It does -- booking code.

And, we should be careful what we ask for. I'm still not convinced SWUs won't be changed to Y -> PE or PE -> J, or require two SWUs for a Y-J upgrade on a cabin with PE.
however that's below EQD (really rolling 12 month spend). And the odds of the same status on the same flight with the same rolling spend requesting upgrades is slim, so it's a relative non factor.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot

IMHO you should be thankful you can afford to do premium. Think of the many more millions of us who can't. Consider yourself lucky.
GTITAN and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
That's not how it's suppose to work!!
355F1 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
It does -- booking code.

And, we should be careful what we ask for. I'm still not convinced SWUs won't be changed to Y -> PE or PE -> J, or require two SWUs for a Y-J upgrade on a cabin with PE.
I can't wait for this to happen. Hopefully will make SWUs usable again.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Fanjet
That's not how it's suppose to work!!
That is mostly how it's going to work going forward, irrespective of the whining and gnashing of teeth on FT.

Regards
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FAA1996
I can't wait for this to happen. Hopefully will make SWUs usable again.
I'll probably get blasted for this, but I agree if it makes SWUs more useful.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I'll probably get blasted for this, but I agree if it makes SWUs more useful.
I agree as well - as along as premium economy prices stay where they are, I'd be more than happy to pay for PE, knowing it also likely limits the pool for people who will be requesting SWUs.
355F1 and arlflyer like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I agree as well - as along as premium economy prices stay where they are, I'd be more than happy to pay for PE, knowing it also likely limits the pool for people who will be requesting SWUs.
Well ...... you don't need to limit SWUs to PE. You could simply restrict fares that SWUs can be used on like UA or AA once did (O and Q once upon a time were not good for SWUs internationally in some circumstances though N and above were I grant). The same rule of UDU is true to SWUs though perhaps to a lesser degree. If you fly on off days and on off times, your ability to clear is greatly enhanced. If people pine for the "old days", let's remember even in the "old days" heavy traveled routes at heavy traveled times were still pains to clear, and folks in this forum were complaining about 10 years ago.

Safe Travels
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Oh I definitely still fret even when I'm in a J seat. It's usually about whether I'm going to get a PDB though.
GWFan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
That is mostly how it's going to work going forward, irrespective of the whining and gnashing of teeth on FT.

Regards
It's a pretty simple equation. If the airlines want us to be loyal, they have to reward that loyalty. If they don't need us to be loyal (kind of the case now), then they devalue or take away those rewards. We're all adults and can deal with it though. I think there's as much whining/gnashing on here as there is acceptance/urging that free agency is the future!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
They could continue to allow both Y->J and PE->J upgrades using SWU, but prioritize PE->J over Y->J. So anyone who pays for PE will trump anyone paying for Y.
SouthernCross and 355F1 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
however that's below EQD (really rolling 12 month spend). And the odds of the same status on the same flight with the same rolling spend requesting upgrades is slim, so it's a relative non factor.
exactly my point. Thanks, Antarius

Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Austin787
They could continue to allow both Y->J and PE->J upgrades using SWU, but prioritize PE->J over Y->J. So anyone who pays for PE will trump anyone paying for Y.
full Y fare is most likely more expensive than discount PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.