Search

sigh...settling for premium economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
sigh...settling for premium economy

So this is what it comes to??

I'm looking to book my annual trip to Europe in the fall, and over the years have done either award tickets, SWU, or bought business class. Seeing some really good premium economy fares, but don't like my SWU chances on 20 J seat 787s. So I'm basically settling for premium economy. Feels like a really sad day and I've finally joined the camp that SWUs are worthless.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I've finally joined the camp that SWUs are worthless.
prw555 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:01 pm
Suspended

...Seeing some really good premium economy fares, but don't like my SWU chances on 20 J seat 787s. So I'm basically settling for premium economy. Feels like a really sad day and I've finally joined the camp that SWUs are worthless.
Paying for Premium Economy (at a really good fare), flying in Premium Economy-- what a travesty.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
I've tried PE (PS on Delta). Usually fly J. Now fly one way J and one way PE. Do the day trip in PE as I'm sitting upright and working/reading etc. I really like the PE/PS product. Glad to see it and glad to fly it. Also save $$$$.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Pick a different routing that has better upgrade odds. I’m batting 90% swu upgrades on the rdu lhr flight. Out of ten legs one didn’t clear

if you prefer shorter flights and price then pe is in your future but there are ways. Air maroc in a few months will be an option for flights across the pond should you be ok with sub optimal routing
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I tried Premium Economy recently. It is basically like domestic business/first. Nice way to fly and usually not much more than Y.
sdsearch, bscooter26 and GTITAN like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:34 pm

But if SWUs, and thus AAdvantage, are worthless to you, then perhaps that will free you from the mental block on flying anyone other than AA for the 100k miles, etc. needed to get said SWUs, and you can pick on route, schedule, product, etc. Potentially liberating.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I symparhize with the OP, felt that way last year. Getting close to liberated feeling this year!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Pick a different routing that has better upgrade odds. I’m batting 90% swu upgrades on the rdu lhr flight. Out of ten legs one didn’t clear

if you prefer shorter flights and price then pe is in your future but there are ways. Air maroc in a few months will be an option for flights across the pond should you be ok with sub optimal routing

I'm thinking about trying to route on the 77W. But I'm based in Chicago, so the 789 with 30 J seats isn't that bad, and UG lists tend to be much shorter in and out of Chicago than DFW.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

I'm at 100% on SWUs since 2010. Had a couple come very close, but have always cleared.
Zacnlinc and boss315 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:18 pm

I'm at 100% on SWUs since 2010. Had a couple come very close, but have always cleared.
So I guess your mantra now is "You make all the shots you don't take"?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:43 pm

I’m in the same camp as you. I’ve booked some PE trips for later this year, and requested the SWU upgrades but have small expectations.

Something that bugs me about AA’s upgrade priority is why PE fares don’t receive higher a priority than Y. (Correct me if this is wrong but..) as far as I know the upgrade priority is Elite Level > Upgrade Type > EQD > Booking Code > Time of Request. In most cases EQD becomes the deciding factor, but why wouldn’t AA throw us a bone and recognize a customer who paid up for PE instead of coach?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
I’m in the same camp as you. I’ve booked some PE trips for later this year, and requested the SWU upgrades but have small expectations.

Something that bugs me about AA’s upgrade priority is why PE fares don’t receive higher a priority than Y. (Correct me if this is wrong but..) as far as I know the upgrade priority is Elite Level > Upgrade Type > EQD > Booking Code > Time of Request. In most cases EQD becomes the deciding factor, but why wouldn’t AA throw us a bone and recognize a customer who paid up for PE instead of coach?
I believe ticket type purchased does play a role in that list
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Paying for Premium Economy (at a really good fare), flying in Premium Economy-- what a travesty.
I am horrified..I think an investigation should be launched in DC!
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I believe ticket type purchased does play a role in that list
It does -- booking code.

And, we should be careful what we ask for. I'm still not convinced SWUs won't be changed to Y -> PE or PE -> J, or require two SWUs for a Y-J upgrade on a plane with PE.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Feb 8, 2019 at 6:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.