Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 735 man to phl cancelled 7 Feb 2019 - pilot removed for alcohol

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 735 man to phl cancelled 7 Feb 2019 - pilot removed for alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 757FO
Absolutely not excusing this pilots behavior, but has it been confirmed he was in fact intoxicated? The reason, the UK, and especially MAN has a reputation for the authorities preying on flight crew. It is so pervasive, it's actually discussed off the record during international ground school. Again, not defending the pilot, if he was drunk, he needs to go, but many flight crews have been harassed about drinking, when they have in fact not been.
What would the motivation be for airport authorities falsely accusing pilots of being drunk? What's in it for them?

Especially when a breathalyzer can easily prove or disprove it, so a pattern lot of false accusations would quickly come to light?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Its even plausible this was the result of a simple poor decision. People make poor decisions everyday.
Good point. We have no information to indicate that this person is an "addict that is in denial and refuses to seek treatment," although that of course is a distinct possibility.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Paul2408
The AA 735 man to phl cancelled today. Anyone know why ? Sugggested a crew issue ?
Sounds like the pilot might be a United fan..........(The football/soccer team/club, and/or the airline)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Be interesting to see what AA's response will be to EU delay compensation claims for those affected.
Their pilot..........they should pay the 600 EU
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Doubtful that it is 15,000 miles and EUR 600. Those miles will likely discourage many people from bothering to file a claim in the first place.
I'd rather have the $679 or so dollars............ I would definitely request the EU compensation.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by Bear96
I rather doubt another pilot is the one who reported it to the authorities. If another flight crew member noticed, s/he would more likely have quietly told the BAC pilot to take himself out of service as sick / unfit to fly and to call EAP, without police involvement (unless the BAC pilot refused to take himself out of service).

The other FCM would also hopefully have made a call to the APA's Professional Standards committee, or equivalent, for follow-up (assuming the APA has one like ALPA does).
That may not have been a viable option once he showed up at crew ops to take the flight, especially if he were obviously intoxicated. Once presenting himself for flying duties any other crewmember would be obligated to take action to report him as intoxicated and not permit the flight to operate--at the risk of their own license and employment if failing to do so. That and no one would want to fly with an intoxicated person on the flight deck; it's not merely illegal, it's "unwise" to put it mildly.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Absolutely not excusing this pilots behavior, but has it been confirmed he was in fact intoxicated? The reason, the UK, and especially MAN has a reputation for the authorities preying on flight crew. It is so pervasive, it's actually discussed off the record during international ground school. Again, not defending the pilot, if he was drunk, he needs to go, but many flight crews have been harassed about drinking, when they have in fact not been.
I would imagine erring on the side of caution is appropriate in any instance where one person is responsible for so many lives. I wouldn't be opposed to having pilots being tested before taking the stick. Surprised if it doesn't come to that very soon. BTW, "preying on flight crew" seems to be an exaggeration.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
As somebody who is well familiar with the process, I very much doubt that the pilot would be released on bail (as is undisputed) if the test had indicated that he was below the defined limit. Equally, there has been no denial of the allegation from the pilot nor from his employers. As a result, it is perfectly clear to me that he was either over the limit or has refused to be tested. Whether he can be said to have been "intoxicated" isn't the issue.

If you see carrying out a perfectly lawful and non-invasive test to ensure the safety of air passengers as "preying upon" flight crew then I have to profoundly disagree with that position.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
In that link it says he was bailed so not much of a while.
Yes, that's what they says. He has already released from jail. He need a treatment, but he cannot flying. I think he needs his help. He will not able to drinks alcohol anymore.
Spanish likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Also, imagine you work at any career into your 60s and are an addict. You know that reporting your addiction will take you out of your profession for an extended period of time, and there is no guarantee you will ever be allowed to practice it again.

What is the upside (as perceived through the addict's eyes, not yours) to self-reporting when that is guaranteed to completely upset your life? It is a terrible Catch-22 with no obvious solution.
i have a friend who is a FA with AA, with 43 years seniority and she went to rehab four years ago and returned to work six months later. She self-reported and it wasn’t career ending.

I’m not sure the pilots have similar provisions in their collective bargaining agreement, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:37 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Let’s please stay on the topic at hand.

Off-topic discussions have been removed. Thanks for your understanding. /Moderator
Clark Casual likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.