Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 735 man to phl cancelled 7 Feb 2019 - pilot removed for alcohol

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 735 man to phl cancelled 7 Feb 2019 - pilot removed for alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by SouthernCross

Or they could make him CEO.
Now thats good comedy right there.
FAA1996 and travelgeek1197 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
​​​​ what happens to the extra aircraft at MAN. If there was enough passengers would they run a extra section flight back to PHL.
got to imagine many were accommodated on other flights out of the uk. London isn’t that far away
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Sounds like many were offered rooms for the night, have a colleague that got caught in this mess today.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
He will stay in jails for a while.

Here's a link:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...rport-15798175
In that link it says he was bailed so not much of a while.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Be interesting to see what AA's response will be to EU delay compensation claims for those affected.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Be interesting to see what AA's response will be to EU delay compensation claims for those affected.
15,000 miles and eu comp. personally I don’t think 15,000 miles is near sufficient

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...312.1532881156
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:15 pm

So how does this actually go down? Is the pilot arrested in view of pax? What are they told the reason for the cancelation is?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
A Delta pilot showed up drunk a couple of weeks ago. I guess it's time to put an interlock device in the flight deck. I have no sympathy for addicts who don't seek help.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Must've requested an Irish Coffee from the FA.
Ok, thanks for spitting out my morning coffee all over my screen. Happy friday !
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Nuhusky

15,000 miles and eu comp. personally I don’t think 15,000 miles is near sufficient

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...312.1532881156
Doubtful that it is 15,000 miles and EUR 600. Those miles will likely discourage many people from bothering to file a claim in the first place.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I have no sympathy for addicts who don't seek help.
I get it and I know I'm drifting into OMNI-land, but that's the attitude that drives addicts to hide their behavior. I'm lucky that my only real addictions are to nicotine and caffeine. I do, however, drink alcohol very infrequently and very moderately as I have recognized signs of addiction tendencies in my past use of alcohol.

The nicotine addiction support community is a multi-billion dollar industry and nicotine use did not impair my ability to contribute to society. (Clean 10+ years after a course of Chantix.)

Caffeine addiction is common and accepted by society and only slightly inhibits my ability to function. For example, if I wake up early and drive without having coffee, I am less alert than if I had coffee first.

"I'm not an addict and I don't need help" --> "I have no sympathy for addicts that do not seek help"
becomes
"I'm an addict and I need help" --> "You've been an addict that didn't seek help for how long? (Throws book at addict)"

No addict seeks help when their addiction is first developed, because addicts all think that they "can handle it" and "I'm not really an addict." Denial is a key aspect of addiction. That;s why most addicts do not seek help until it is well too late and it all comes crashing down (aka "rock bottom" as described friends of Bill W).

This is why society has determined that criminal punishment is the proper penalty, to force some responsibility on the addict. However, since addiction is a medical issue - its an affliction, not a disease - at its root, this is only a means of accomplishing the ends desired (protecting society and forcing the addict to participate in some sort of treatment even if unwilling). Of course, an addict has to accept treatment and many just go through the motions and continue their addiction behaviors (even if not using) immediately after completing treatment.

Also, imagine you work at any career into your 60s and are an addict. You know that reporting your addiction will take you out of your profession for an extended period of time, and there is no guarantee you will ever be allowed to practice it again.

What is the upside (as perceived through the addict's eyes, not yours) to self-reporting when that is guaranteed to completely upset your life? It is a terrible Catch-22 with no obvious solution.

Without any evidence, I suspect that the other pilot reported Capt. BAC since he was taken from the flight deck - and that's the most likely way these sort of issues get reported.
Dallas49er and Djokison like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I get it and I know I'm drifting into OMNI-land, but that's the attitude that drives addicts to hide their behavior. I'm lucky that my only real addictions are to nicotine and caffeine. I do, however, drink alcohol very infrequently and very moderately as I have recognized signs of addiction tendencies in my past use of alcohol.

The nicotine addiction support community is a multi-billion dollar industry and nicotine use did not impair my ability to contribute to society. (Clean 10+ years after a course of Chantix.)

Caffeine addiction is common and accepted by society and only slightly inhibits my ability to function. For example, if I wake up early and drive without having coffee, I am less alert than if I had coffee first.

"I'm not an addict and I don't need help" --> "I have no sympathy for addicts that do not seek help"
becomes
"I'm an addict and I need help" --> "You've been an addict that didn't seek help for how long? (Throws book at addict)"

No addict seeks help when their addiction is first developed, because addicts all think that they "can handle it" and "I'm not really an addict." Denial is a key aspect of addiction. That;s why most addicts do not seek help until it is well too late and it all comes crashing down (aka "rock bottom" as described friends of Bill W).

This is why society has determined that criminal punishment is the proper penalty, to force some responsibility on the addict. However, since addiction is a medical issue - its an affliction, not a disease - at its root, this is only a means of accomplishing the ends desired (protecting society and forcing the addict to participate in some sort of treatment even if unwilling). Of course, an addict has to accept treatment and many just go through the motions and continue their addiction behaviors (even if not using) immediately after completing treatment.

Also, imagine you work at any career into your 60s and are an addict. You know that reporting your addiction will take you out of your profession for an extended period of time, and there is no guarantee you will ever be allowed to practice it again.

What is the upside (as perceived through the addict's eyes, not yours) to self-reporting when that is guaranteed to completely upset your life? It is a terrible Catch-22 with no obvious solution.

Without any evidence, I suspect that the other pilot reported Capt. BAC since he was taken from the flight deck - and that's the most likely way these sort of issues get reported.
Well thought out and well written.

No sympathy for his act, but compassion for the man, just like I have for the CEO. For the pilot, at 62, his life has just drastically changed, in ways he never imagined.

Backing away from OMNI-land-I, too, would be interested to see what AA's response will be to EU delay compensation claims for those affected.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:43 am

becomes

Well said. Its even plausible this was the result of a simple poor decision. People make poor decisions everyday, and usually the impacts aren't as catastrophic both personally or professionally. I don't go for the holier-than-thou aspect that some espouse, as I have to yet meet anyone completely free of "vice" or has always made prefect decisions in their lives.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I rather doubt another pilot is the one who reported it to the authorities. If another flight crew member noticed, s/he would more likely have quietly told the BAC pilot to take himself out of service as sick / unfit to fly and to call EAP, without police involvement (unless the BAC pilot refused to take himself out of service).

The other FCM would also hopefully have made a call to the APA's Professional Standards committee, or equivalent, for follow-up (assuming the APA has one like ALPA does).
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Absolutely not excusing this pilots behavior, but has it been confirmed he was in fact intoxicated? The reason, the UK, and especially MAN has a reputation for the authorities preying on flight crew. It is so pervasive, it's actually discussed off the record during international ground school. Again, not defending the pilot, if he was drunk, he needs to go, but many flight crews have been harassed about drinking, when they have in fact not been.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.