New Amenity Kits for 2019

Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:34 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
It's quite a stretch to label AA Amenity kits as "Luxury". But that word probably sells more tickets than if they used an accurate word such as "stingy" or "so-so" or "crAApy"
Originally Posted by chitink
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
It's quite a stretch to label AA Amenity kits as "Luxury". But that word probably sells more tickets than if they used an accurate word such as "stingy" or "so-so" or "crAApy"
Are we talking the hard case, or the contents? Because while I dunno about these new kits yet, I used to think CO Bigelow was more luxurious than Kiehl's (DL) and was on par with Elemis (BA). Aside from the toothbrush, AA's was better than LH and JL. If you want to see junk, look at KLM! AF I think is my favorite for luxury, with the Clarins.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Believe it or not, these old amenity kits do have value -- resale value. I stored ten years of AA international amenity kits in a closet in my Connecticut house after each overseas trip. A few years ago I leased the house, empty of furnishings, and the kits sold for $5 each at my giant yard sale. And they sold quickly. Kind of amazing.
Wow! I have a closet full and have been wondering what to do with all of them! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The first one has been on some ex-LAX flights for a while on and off:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1072264429859979264
Indeed, must still be somewhat selective, as LAX-HKG 193 on Monday in F still had the old ones, which are rubbish (although I'd agree that the lip balm isn't bad).
JonNYC likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
The 2018 amenity kits were just awful, I wouldn’t even carry them off the flights for family nmembers. The ones in 2017 weren’t bad - I still use two of them for wire storage and dirty clothes.
AAEmpireState and seigex like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Just got the new J bag on LHR - DFW {772}. First impressions are very positive: a nicer style bag and the contents appear improved like a larger softer eye mask, full toothpaste and mini bottle of mouthwash. Even the socks are less.clowny.

Nice job AA!
chitink likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
One area I wish AA would copy DL The Tumi kits are nice and quite functional
My wife in your previous life fly DL gave me quite a few, in fact I have on Tumi kit that is like a small hard container sliver, with zippers (use that one for my phones ect)
the other tumi kits are very handy for quite a few items when traveling.
I second AA joining Tumi for kits.. my carry on bag is a Tumi, 9 years running and no issues
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Just got the new J bag on LHR - DFW {772}. First impressions are very positive: a nicer style bag and the contents appear improved like a larger softer eye mask, full toothpaste and mini bottle of mouthwash. Even the socks are less.clowny.

Nice job AA!
Is it an actual mini bottle of mouthwash or that mouthwash that is one time use? I may be mixing up AA and QF. Regardless, those one time use mouthwashes are the worst. Forces me to choose whether to use it at night or in the morning!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:26 pm

hopefully these don't have that nasty plastic smell
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
After flying NH international F to NRT and getting the very nice tiny luggage bag amenity kits they give and then flying the same route with AA and was extremely disappointed with the kids they provided. Glad to see a change.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Still old bags on today's HKG-DFW in F, sad
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flightrisk

Nice job AA!
Which one was the J kit? I saw a few different styles for the International Biz/First and wasn't sure which was for which.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
After some more reflection, I'll say the new bags give a better impression than previous AA bags. AA says they are "luxury" and they certainly feel more refined than the previous bags. The British tan is a lovely timeless color and little touches like a pen slot, an extra coin pocket and zipper pull in the same fabric make the bag feel more designed. On a more functional level, having all of the amenities placed directly in the bag (not wrapped in cheap plastic wrap labelled "Dental Kit" as before) makes everything more accessible and a touch less impersonal. And apparent improvements to the eye mask, toothbrush, and mouthwash were all welcomed (though not tested on the daytime LHR-DFW flight).

I did not personally like the more aggressive scent the Allies of Skin lotion over the C.O.Bigelow, but I do prefer the stick lip balm; though these are obviously a matter of taste.

For those more interested in re-use, I suspect these will not be a huge success. The design I received is roughly the size of those old day planners; and similarly designed as a bifold with button clasp in the middle. Pocket on one side, and zippered compartment on the other. There is no seaming or construction to give the bag depth, and the bag bulges with the contents.

Comparison of 2018 J kit (left) to 2019 J kit (right) - some items may not be shown.

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Is it an actual mini bottle of mouthwash or that mouthwash that is one time use? I may be mixing up AA and QF. Regardless, those one time use mouthwashes are the worst. Forces me to choose whether to use it at night or in the morning!
Yes, the prior AA mouthwash is the foil covered one time use variety. The new one is a mini screw top bottle, though I don't think there is any more quantity provided, so you are likely left with the same choice.

Originally Posted by chitink
Which one was the J kit? I saw a few different styles for the International Biz/First and wasn't sure which was for which.
Apparently there are four different J designs. In the press release, this image is labelled "Business Intl Bags". I think the British tan one is rotated/repeated in the press release. You can also look at some of the bloggers' photos.
zpaul, Gig103 and chitink like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
New ones today on 79.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bse118

The contents of the amenity kit just end up in the trash - the only thing I use is the disposal toothbrush and toothpaste. AA's amenity kit contents are in general a pointless waste.
Please save and either give them to the homeless or a church/shelter/food bank. I know my local food bank loves the huge box that I give them every year.
zpaul and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.