Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is AA to oneworld irops protection worth $50? (vs save on UA)

Is AA to oneworld irops protection worth $50? (vs save on UA)

Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by craz
Clarification; the OP said it was a 'regional jet', the E75 is not an RJ, its a main liner , the ERJ is a regional jet, I assumed w/o looking that the IAH-ORD was a ERJ, if its a E75 my pt is moot
Well... E75 is operated by American Eagle (Envoy or something), which should still be considered as a regional jet. E190 on the other hand is a LUS mainline flight
SamOF and no1cub17 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shd9
Not really. AA will through check baggage on separate tickets if they are booked in the same reservation (PNR). That why it was suggested that OP ask AA to book the revenue IAH-ORD segment inside the award reservation. This way bags will be checked through.

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...cy_06Sep16.pdf
Has anyone been successful doing this? I did not think it was possible to have two separate tickets (one revenue and one an award) on the same PNR?

I'm not questioning the OP, but as someone who checks this board daily, and often flies tickets of this type, I'd completely missed if this was possible!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Has anyone been successful doing this? I did not think it was possible to have two separate tickets (one revenue and one an award) on the same PNR?

I'm not questioning the OP, but as someone who checks this board daily, and often flies tickets of this type, I'd completely missed if this was possible!
Apparently this still works, (in the IRROPS thread I think there are recent reports), but unfortunately you need to find a knowledgeable agent.

At an outstation you are probably SOL, but the FL at ORD is a safe bet, and maybe even IAH.

But good luck at MAD, CDG, HKG or even LHR.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon

Just give the reservations line a call and provide the award PNR, ask them to add a paid segment to it. They have done it once for me. But I think the award
must be ticketed by AA and the additional paid segment AA must have a fare.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

Just give the reservations line a call and provide the award PNR, ask them to add a paid segment to it. They have done it once for me. But I think the award
must be ticketed by AA and the additional paid segment AA must have a fare.
Whoa - I didn't know you could do that after the fact! That's amazing. I've done it successfully at the time of booking, but never after (I don't think I've tried though). That is great to know that it can be done - the trickier thing is finding a competent enough AAgent.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Well... E75 is operated by American Eagle (Envoy or something), which should still be considered as a regional jet. E190 on the other hand is a LUS mainline flight
Ive never been on AAs E-75, but Ive been on plenty of B6s E-90s And B6 doesnt consider the E-90 a RJ. @ 6'2" I can stand up in the aisle w/o touching the ceiling with the top of my head , nor have to walk with my neck bent down like on the ERJ

So if the E-75 is the same inside the cabin as the E-90 then imo its not an RJ, but a small mainliner.

Even SeatGuru lists the E-75 & 90 under narrow body jets and not as Regionals, I consider a regional as any plane that I must gate check a reg size carryon rollerboard due to its extremely small/narrow bins (yet recently on AAs 763 I had to put my bag in the bin sideways since it cant handle reg size cas wheels 1st , yet no problem with UAs 767s). .If I can fit a reg size ca in the E-75 bin its not a regional imo

lastly OP make sure you do your homework before getting to IAH day of travel and know what set of flights youd want should you need to be rebooked, Id have CX flights with 1st and Biz that would work, unless youre willing to try again the next day should 1st be available and hopefully you wont need to use any of it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.