Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is taking 2 stickers for my wife’s upgrade worth complaining about?

Old Feb 5, 19, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO

I took a flight from MIA to ATL with my wife (no status) Saturday night. I am ppro and get comp upgrades, I opted in to have her upgraded as well with 2 of my stickers. It was an a319 so chances were slim.

After the doors closed, the FA came back and told me they had a seat, which I accepted and thanked her. I let my wife move up front and take the seat.

I just happened to be in the app today, and I noticed that they docked me 2 stickers for upgrading my wife. When flying with my family I often put myself on a separate pnr in hopes of grabbing an upgrade, and I always give it to my wife and it has never been an issue.

It is only 2 stickers, but doesn't it seem the FA should have just documented me being in that seat, instead of dinging me 2 stickers? Do you think this even occurs to them? Technically should it even be possible for my non status companion to bump the next person in line for an upgrade if me as the elite doesnt technically accept or be upgraded?

Thanks
Old Feb 5, 19, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
I took a flight from MIA to ATL with my wife (no status) Saturday night. I am ppro and get comp upgrades, I opted in to have her upgraded as well with 2 of my stickers. It was an a319 so chances were slim.

After the doors closed, the FA came back and told me they had a seat, which I accepted and thanked her. I let my wife move up front and take the seat.

I just happened to be in the app today, and I noticed that they docked me 2 stickers for upgrading my wife. When flying with my family I often put myself on a separate pnr in hopes of grabbing an upgrade, and I always give it to my wife and it has never been an issue.

It is only 2 stickers, but doesn't it seem the FA should have just documented me being in that seat, instead of dinging me 2 stickers? Do you think this even occurs to them? Technically should it even be possible for my non status companion to bump the next person in line for an upgrade if me as the elite doesnt technically accept or be upgraded?

Thanks
Why would the FA document you as being in the seat if your wife was clearly the one sitting there? Technically, the person sitting in the seat is supposed to be the one that was upgraded.
While FA's sometimes might let you trade seats, that doesn't mean this is a requirement. Your wife was the beneficiary of the upgrade, so logically 2 upgrades credits should be charged
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
none of this makes any sense. since when are FAs deducting stickers from anyone. let alone after the doors are closed?

i suppose it's possible that FA had to call the GA to document the move from Y to F (weight and balance, who knows) and that the FA gratuitously passed on that it was Mrs. OP instead of OP. still odd.
arollins likes this.
Old Feb 6, 19, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Allowing your wife to swap is nice. But you weren’t swapping, so nothing to complain about.
Old Feb 6, 19, 6:17 am

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
The price of chivalry.
jtav559 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Thanks
I would call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number), tell them you received your UDU/sticker upgrade via PLT Pro status on a recent MIA-ATL flight, but after the fact you noticed that 2 stickers were erroneously deducted from your account. Leave out any further details about getting the upgrade after boarding or switching seats with your wife, etc. Just see what they come back with. Best case they will apologize for the error and credit you 2 stickers back to your account. Worst case they say it looks like your companion was upgraded and thus 2 stickers were correctly pulled. Either way you've got nothing to lose.
Old Feb 6, 19, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Who was marked on the upgrade list as receiving the upgrade?
Old Feb 6, 19, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
Same thing (but at the gate) happened to me when I let my non-status (at the time) partner get upgraded ahead of me and paid in stickers, a trade that I was happy to make.
Old Feb 6, 19, 11:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Back in the days when I was PLT, my wife (also PLT) and I where flying MCO-ORD. We did not requested to have an upgrade when we bought the tickets. Day of flight date, the GA told us that the flight is oversold on Y and will give us a complimentary upgrade to F since we where the next high up elite. Few days latter we noticed that stickies where deducted for both of us. A quick call to CS, back in the days when there was actually a CS dept. and the problem was solved. Sometimes in the hush of closing the flight, getting tickets and the like agents forget the proper code/keystrokes and move along. Just contact AA and check on it.
Old Feb 6, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I’ve “given” my wife my complimentary upgrade on many occasions, and I’ve never had stickers pulled for this. If we both upgrade, then yes, but not in the situation you are describing. The only difference I see is that your/her upgrade occurred after boarding.
Old Feb 6, 19, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chitink View Post
Who was marked on the upgrade list as receiving the upgrade?
Good question- I don't know. Doesn't that list disappear once the doors are closed?
Old Feb 6, 19, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beachfun71 View Post
I’ve “given” my wife my complimentary upgrade on many occasions, and I’ve never had stickers pulled for this. If we both upgrade, then yes, but not in the situation you are describing. The only difference I see is that your/her upgrade occurred after boarding.
This is my experience too. Did I really need to go up front, sit down and then get back up and give it to her? Ha.

Again, first world problems but I am surprised that she can technically be upgraded without me being upgraded. For example, her BP shows group 4, so she doesn't seem to inherit my full status. I am sure there were other PLTs and GLDs that she got ahead of. If I am being upgraded, her cutting in front of them makes sense, but if I am not- does she really have priority over every elite behind me? If so, why is she not shown as group 3? If I am a PLT or GLD I am pissed if someones companion is upgraded over me in this situation tbh.

As PLT/GLD is it possible for one to request an upgrade for their companion but not for themselves? I don't think so, but maybe I am wrong.

How it all works is interesting to me. Thx
Old Feb 6, 19, 4:25 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
This is my experience too. Did I really need to go up front, sit down and then get back up and give it to her? Ha.

Again, first world problems but I am surprised that she can technically be upgraded without me being upgraded. For example, her BP shows group 4, so she doesn't seem to inherit my full status. I am sure there were other PLTs and GLDs that she got ahead of. If I am being upgraded, her cutting in front of them makes sense, but if I am not- does she really have priority over every elite behind me? If so, why is she not shown as group 3? If I am a PLT or GLD I am pissed if someones companion is upgraded over me in this situation tbh.

As PLT/GLD is it possible for one to request an upgrade for their companion but not for themselves? I don't think so, but maybe I am wrong.

How it all works is interesting to me. Thx
Non status companions only get group 4, even if it's on the same PNR, FYI.
Old Feb 6, 19, 6:09 pm

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Honestly, when I have a companion on the upgrade list using my status instead of their own, they are higher on the list than me - maybe, they actually just upgraded the next one on the list (your companion) and because of that took the stickers.
Old Feb 6, 19, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
Honestly, when I have a companion on the upgrade list using my status instead of their own, they are higher on the list than me - maybe, they actually just upgraded the next one on the list (your companion) and because of that took the stickers.
That has happened to me too. I'm guessing she was the one upgraded because she was higher on the list. Didn't you check the list at any point within 30 minutes of departure to see where you and she stood?

In any case I would play dumb with AA customer service and assume that you were the one upgraded and you gave her your seat and that you don't understand why the stickers were pulled.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: