Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is taking 2 stickers for my wife’s upgrade worth complaining about?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is taking 2 stickers for my wife’s upgrade worth complaining about?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:27 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Les Anderson
Again, first world problems but I am surprised that she can technically be upgraded without me being upgraded.
AA owes you back those stickers.

You were a party of 2. There are three possibilities here:
  • Nobody gets upgraded. (and no stickers get deducted)
  • Both get upgraded (and stickets for the second pax get deducted, because the first pax gets a comp upgrade)
  • One gets upgraded (and no stickers get deducted, because that pax gets a comp upgrade)
Same exact thing happened to me one time. Write to AAdvantage Customer Service, they'll send you a denial form letter which indicates they didn't even read your message. So pick up the phone and call them.

If both got upgraded then stickers should have been pulled. If only one got upgraded, then there are two ways to look at it:
  • AA did the right thing and pulled no stickers, or
  • AA did the wrong thing and pulled stickers.
The purpose of phoning AAdvantage is to convert The Wrong Thing into The Right Thing.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:25 am

This was not a free upgrade. The seat was available and stickers were appropriately spent.

if he swapped seats with his wife i would understand and would want the stickers back, but certainly not a free upgrade for a second passenger.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
This was not a free upgrade. The seat was available and stickers were appropriately spent.

if he swapped seats with his wife i would understand and would want the stickers back, but certainly not a free upgrade for a second passenger.
I accepted the upgrade, and then let her move up front so there was no "second passenger".
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Les Anderson
I accepted the upgrade, and then let her move up front so there was no "second passenger".
the seat swapping, I believe, is allowed as a courtesy. But we’re you ever in the seat?

the fact that most of the time, the courtesy is extended, doesn’t mean you are owed anything when it doesn’t happen. And unless you actually occupied the seat at some point, you upgraded your wife but not yourself. The fact that you’ve done it without stickers deducted all the other times doesn’t mean they were wrong to go by the rules this time.

Last edited by beachfan; Feb 7, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan

the seat swapping, I believe, is allowed as a courtesy. But we’re you ever in the seat?

the fact that most of the time, the courtesy is extended, doesn’t mean you are owed anything when it doesn’t happen. And unless you actually occupied the seat at some point, you upgraded your wife but not yourself. The fact that you’ve done it without stickers deducted all the other times doesn’t mean they were wrong to go by the rules this time.
Is this seat swapping allowance official AA policy or a listed benefit? Quite frankly, if I were the next person on the list after the OP, I would be very upset. If he didn’t take the upgrade, it should go to the next person on the list. If that person were his wife, stickers should be deducted unless she is Platinum Pro or higher. This “I get an upgrade but I am giving it to my significant other” is people circumventing policy.

I do watch upgrade lists like a hawk and, rest assured, if someone is upgraded out of sequence, AA gets a complaint email. They don’t even bother to mince words when they reply and happily provide the details they have on what position on the list was upgraded and confirm it was out sequence. The apology and customer service gesture ensues, with recognition that policy was not adhered to.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:02 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
If this travesty (deducting stickers when they're not supposed to be deducted) stands, what prevents AA from making the same mistake every time?

It was a party of two. One passenger gets comp upgrades. The other passenger has to pay for upgrades. There's only one upgrade available. What's the right procedure??

Obviously, the passenger who gets comp upgrades gets that one remaining upgrade. It doesn't make any difference whose actual butt is in which seat. It was a party of two. Only one upgrade ... the FREE one ... cleared. It's pure baloney if AA gets to clear the expensive one then claim that the free one never cleared.

OP should contract AAdvantage Customer Service and get the mistake corrected.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by rumboj

Is this seat swapping allowance official AA policy or a listed benefit? Quite frankly, if I were the next person on the list after the OP, I would be very upset. If he didn’t take the upgrade, it should go to the next person on the list. If that person were his wife, stickers should be deducted unless she is Platinum Pro or higher. This “I get an upgrade but I am giving it to my significant other” is people circumventing policy.

I do watch upgrade lists like a hawk and, rest assured, if someone is upgraded out of sequence, AA gets a complaint email. They don’t even bother to mince words when they reply and happily provide the details they have on what position on the list was upgraded and confirm it was out sequence. The apology and customer service gesture ensues, with recognition that policy was not adhered to.
His wife would have the same priority on the list and would therefore be next on the list if she was traveling with him. One of them would have gotten the upgrade no matter what, and it has zero bearing on anyone else further down the list.

I agree that AA should credit back the stickers, but can see why they may not.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by josmul123
His wife would have the same priority on the list and would therefore be next on the list if she was traveling with him. One of them would have gotten the upgrade no matter what, and it has zero bearing on anyone else further down the list.

I agree that AA should credit back the stickers, but can see why they may not.
Then the wife, who is not entitled to complimentary upgrades, should pay with stickers because she was the one who was ultimately sitting in the next class of service. Simple. The OP gave away his complimentary upgrade when he opted for number 2 to sit upfront. He could always reach out to AA and ask that the upgrade certificates be deducted from his wife’s account.

If the policy/benefit does not state that upgraded passengers can give the upgrade to whomever they please, regardless of what practice has become commonplace, then the certificates should be deducted. When policy is stretched or ignored, it leads to inconsistencies and issues down the line...which is a big part of the reason why there are so many complaint threads on the forum.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I guess now I’d like to know what the policy really does say. Is this subject even addressed?

What if, instead of trading seats with his wife, he had accepted the complimentary upgrade and then traded seats with a soldier returning home. He sat in coach, and the soldier sat in his first class seat. Would it still be so upsetting?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:44 pm

If you are worrying about 2 stickers, you don't travel enough to complain
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by rumboj

Then the wife, who is not entitled to complimentary upgrades, should pay with stickers because she was the one who was ultimately sitting in the next class of service. Simple. The OP gave away his complimentary upgrade when he opted for number 2 to sit upfront. He could always reach out to AA and ask that the upgrade certificates be deducted from his wife’s account.

If the policy/benefit does not state that upgraded passengers can give the upgrade to whomever they please, regardless of what practice has become commonplace, then the certificates should be deducted. When policy is stretched or ignored, it leads to inconsistencies and issues down the line...which is a big part of the reason why there are so many complaint threads on the forum.
I was responding specifically to the person who said OP was screwing someone else on the list out of the upgrade. That's absolutely not the case, regardless of whether or not stickers should be taken, as they both had priority over everyone else on the list by virtue of his status.

I don't give a crap what the published policy says. I'd ask for the stickers back regardless. The worst they can do is say no.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
That has happened to me too. I'm guessing she was the one upgraded because she was higher on the list. Didn't you check the list at any point within 30 minutes of departure to see where you and she stood?

In any case I would play dumb with AA customer service and assume that you were the one upgraded and you gave her your seat and that you don't understand why the stickers were pulled.
Why? They know who had the seat changed, right? If a sticker was pulled for his wife, there is no reason not to think they show her seated in First Class on the manifest
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
If this travesty (deducting stickers when they're not supposed to be deducted) stands, what prevents AA from making the same mistake every time?

It was a party of two. One passenger gets comp upgrades. The other passenger has to pay for upgrades. There's only one upgrade available. What's the right procedure??

Obviously, the passenger who gets comp upgrades gets that one remaining upgrade. It doesn't make any difference whose actual butt is in which seat. It was a party of two. Only one upgrade ... the FREE one ... cleared. It's pure baloney if AA gets to clear the expensive one then claim that the free one never cleared.

OP should contract AAdvantage Customer Service and get the mistake corrected.
He turned down the upgrade, and officially his wife got it, that is why 2 stickers were deducted.
He could have accepted the upgrade and then swapped seats after the manifest had him in first class.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mvoight
He turned down the upgrade, and officially his wife got it, that is why 2 stickers were deducted.
He could have accepted the upgrade and then swapped seats after the manifest had him in first class.
He never said he turned down the upgrade himself. The sequence of events is pretty obvious...

He adds his wife for a companion upgrade.
She is listed just ahead of him. (It does happen. It has happened when I have my wife as a companion.)
Agent upgrades her because she is at the top of the list, and appropriately pulls two stickers.

So technically AA did this correctly, but only because of the quirk of the upgrade ranking that put her above him. It's possible AA does this deliberately to maximize the number of stickers to pull for upgrades, or it may just be chance, based on alphabetical order or something. In either case, I think the OP should try to get the stickers back. I do fault him for not checking the app prior to all this to see where he and she ranked on the list.
E55 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:17 am
E55

Worth complaining IF genuinely you would have declined paying the two stickers, had you been presented with the offer that way. Otherwise, if you would have said "sure" then don't bother.

Not worth trying to get those two back on some kind of technicality. The universe will remember. Doesn't sound like you're being a **** about this anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.