Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Missed connection downgraded seat refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

We were traveling from DTW to OGG with a connection in DFW. Due to mechanical issues, our flight left DTW an hour late which caused us to miss our connection in DFW by 1 minute (they closed the door on 13 of us).
We booked Premium Economy seats to be comfortable on our 8 1/2 hour flight. They then booked us on the next flight in row 48, then moved us to row 20 and put us on standby for any upgrades.
I said to the DH "watch there only be one upgrade", and sure enough that is what happened. I was upgraded to a First Class seat, yes,with the great lie down seat, while DH was stuck in coach.
Now I am certainly not complaining about being upgraded to first class, but the DH was uncomfortable and it was not our intention to travel like this, separately. Yes, I felt guilty, it wasn't fair.
They refunded the $170 difference between Coach and Premium economy for his ticket, but that was it. Are we entitled to any other compensation other than the difference in ticket price from Coach to PE?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nope. No compensation at all. What you are receiving is a refund, not compensation.

You can send a note to AA at some point and it is possible, but unlikely that they will throw a few miles your way.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Okay, thank you for the quick reply.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Frostecat
Okay, thank you for the quick reply.
But send AA a complaint online, you should definitely get some compensation for the mechanical delay, missing your flight, and arriving into OGG later than scheduled. They will probably throw 5-10k miles your way.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Plat previous CO / UA Premier Gold
Hi I am curious if American AAdvantage offered any additional compensation?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flynew
Hi I am curious if American AAdvantage offered any additional compensation?
No, they did not.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'll repeat this: My SOP is now to book my reservation and then to immediately do a dummy booking at the lowest class of service to demonstrate what I would have paid had I really wanted to be in that lower class. Print it out and save it. If IRROPS rears its head, the delta between the two is my starting negotiating position.
mellimies, Spiff, ijgordon and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I'll repeat this: My SOP is now to book my reservation and then to immediately do a dummy booking at the lowest class of service to demonstrate what I would have paid had I really wanted to be in that lower class. Print it out and save it. If IRROPS rears its head, the delta between the two is my starting negotiating position.
Yes, a number of ways to do this. You can screen shot the fare results/comparison page. You can book economy, and then screen shot the upgrade offer page ("Upgrade to First class for $499"), and then accept the offer to confirm in first class (I think AA recently started doing this now, but at least DL has done it for a while). The key is having SOME documentation of what the lower class of service would have cost you if you originally booked it.
$170 for a one-way fare difference between Y and PE sounds a little light. But possibly not.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC you can also check historical fares on EF.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC you can also check historical fares on EF.
That wont check what the availability was on the time of purchase though
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That wont check what the availability was on the time of purchase though
Just saying... I believe most of the PE fares are PAUP fares with a underlying coach fare class, so technically if you booked this fare, then a specific coach bucket must be available. it would be very hard to argue this with AA tho
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.