Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA of the Decade - very poor experience, threats to disembark

FA of the Decade - very poor experience, threats to disembark

Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I don't think NASA cares.
Then you do not understand the purpose or an ASR/NASA report as it relates to the mental or physical impairment of a crewmember,
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:47 pm

If NASA or any other government agency can effectively investigate and terminate FAs with demonstrated mental instability (such as described by OP) then I will convert from Republican to Democrat
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:56 pm

Geez, if they get to have all the fun with no repercussions, they should be paying me to fly with them. I want a job where I can say or do anything I want - go on a power trip, give the evil eye to someone, flat out be rude to customers and not have to worry about my job. What a gig!!

Seriously, though, I do understand the safety issue of having unruly customers. What I do not understand is if safety is so important, there are not cameras on all planes. They are on school buses for this very reason.

And it was not safe to have her on that flight. It sounds like she may have been having mental issues, or at the very least, severe emotional issues, and may not have been much help in an emergency. But, apparently, nobody has the right to say that to anyone, so you just hold on tight and pray for the best.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Jane42
Geez, if they get to have all the fun with no repercussions, they should be paying me to fly with them. I want a job where I can say or do anything I want - go on a power trip, give the evil eye to someone, flat out be rude to customers and not have to worry about my job. What a gig!!

Seriously, though, I do understand the safety issue of having unruly customers. What I do not understand is if safety is so important, there are not cameras on all planes. They are on school buses for this very reason.

And it was not safe to have her on that flight. It sounds like she may have been having mental issues, or at the very least, severe emotional issues, and may not have been much help in an emergency. But, apparently, nobody has the right to say that to anyone, so you just hold on tight and pray for the best.
Be careful - that might get you reported for suspicious activity
Jane42 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
1. If your flight not getting there will cost $1M... you should really be on an earlier flight. Flights get canceled all the time.

2. I'm not important enough to cost anyone $1M if I'm not somewhere.

Out of principle, I simply will not let someone treat me that way, particularly an employee of a company that I'm paying for a service. I can assure you that I've never been arrested, despite refusing to let people treat me like dirt. There is no law (not even in airports) that says that you have to let people treat you this way. Standing up for yourself is not a crime, and you will not be arrested. Claims to the contrary are FUD.
Of course standing up for yourself is not a crime. My first post in this thread was referring to crazy people in general, whether they're street people or flight attendants. Crazy people in general, IMHO should be locked up in a psych ward, but unfortunately that is not reality today.

Have you ever had to do deal with crazy people outside of an airport? It's actually easier, because I can stab a crazy street person in the neck and have a better chance of not being sent to prison than I would on an airplane.

All of this over a cup of coffee with a shot of Bailey's in it? Pick your battles more carefully is my advice.
JonNYC and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
No when you are in an a/c you are subject to FAA regulations. In this case the Captain may have realized something was off with this FA when their trip began. However, you can't assume the Captain will always take your side, or even the GA, or even the airport police. When you are in that a/c you are subject to crew member instructions. It's not a Democracy. If the FAs forbid you from getting up to go to the lav during turbulence, even though you've really got to go and you feel sure footed under the bumps there's no argument. I've been snapped at by FAs and GAs for ridiculous thing, most recently sitting in an exit row and watching a movie on the pop up screen until pushback (when the FA barked "put that screen down now.") Such is the joy of flying.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:51 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
After reading (most) of this tread, without better documentation much of what occurred is just hearsay. Having any/all of (1)a video of interaction, (2)other pax nearby written(or recorded) commentary, would help.
If the Captain gets involved, does he/she make any written record (a log book, say(?))
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
Probably asking too much these days, but, while it's fine for employees to share complaints amongst themselves, I'd rather they stick to the time honored tradition of not showing public disloyalty to one's employer. After they've moved on or in private, fine, gloves off; but, to do so while receiving a paycheck, and to voice it in public while on the clock, in plain view of customers no less, is just distasteful, in my view.
I realize my comment might have read weird.

I just was sharing the nicknames I've heard and then the rest of my comment was intended in reference to the OP.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
No when you are in an a/c you are subject to FAA regulations. In this case the Captain may have realized something was off with this FA when their trip began. However, you can't assume the Captain will always take your side, or even the GA, or even the airport police. When you are in that a/c you are subject to crew member instructions. It's not a Democracy. If the FAs forbid you from getting up to go to the lav during turbulence, even though you've really got to go and you feel sure footed under the bumps there's no argument. I've been snapped at by FAs and GAs for ridiculous thing, most recently sitting in an exit row and watching a movie on the pop up screen until pushback (when the FA barked "put that screen down now.") Such is the joy of flying.
An FA should not be physically preventing you from using the lav during turbulence.
Understandably, they cannot give you permission if you ask, because of liability issues.
If I REALLY have to use the lav, I am going, especially on a US based airline
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
I think there are two types of people in this world: Those who need to win every argument and those who pick their battles carefully. In life you are going to run into your share of rude and ignorant people. I would have let this cranky FA "win" and kept my mouth shut, at the time. File a complaint with the FAA or the airline (preferably both) later if you really feel it is warranted.
apeortdz and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
AA is already pissed at Mesa, I doubt this story makes them happy. I foresee their relationship ending sooner than later, so I doubt anyone flying AA will have to encounter this FA again if they stay.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
An FA should not be physically preventing you from using the lav during turbulence.
Understandably, they cannot give you permission if you ask, because of liability issues.
If I REALLY have to use the lav, I am going, especially on a US based airline
Oh no! you will be arrested and pistol whipped for sure! how dare you do something like that on an aircraft? Don't you know that THERE ARE NO LAWS and FAs can do whatever they want? If you are rude to an FA you might end up in Guantanamo.

Or at least, that's what some here will have you believe. Of course any sane person will go to the bathroom if they have got to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.