Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA of the Decade - very poor experience, threats to disembark

FA of the Decade - very poor experience, threats to disembark

Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Unfortunately in the airline business standing up for yourself can get you booted off the flight. Then your at the mercy of the GA to be rebooked on another flight. Give the GA some guff and you then might be dealing with airport police. It's just not worth it. Consider yourself lucky that you don't hate your life and your job that much.
That is just not true. If a GA spoke to me that way I'd just immediately ask to speak to her supervisor. There is no reason to be scared of dealing with airport police if you haven't broken any laws. Everything at an airport is recorded by security cameras so if the GA decides to lie about it, she will quickly be caught.

I stand up for myself in all situations. If you just sit back and take it, you are just inviting people to keep piling it on.
bchandler02 and jhalapin like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Upthread one poster noted asking for ORANGE JUICE. I recollect a (very) old thread re a FA named Helen who went bonkers when a pax asked for OJ...perhaps Helen and current FA are related?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There is no camera onboard the a/c. It will come down to he said she said and you will likely loose. Being right might not get you a very good outcome.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no camera onboard the a/c. It will come down to he said she said and you will likely loose. Being right might not get you a very good outcome.
There are plenty of cameras onboard the a/c. They just need to be turned on.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Maybe it's me, but asking for any coffee drink as a PDB strikes me as unnecessarily high maintenance. The FA doesn't brew coffee just in case someone in F orders it during boarding. They have to make a pot, then dump it before takeoff. How do you expect them to play Candy Crush if they're serving passengers during boarding.
I was on a couple of morning flights this past week - I asked for coffee but I noted, only if she / he had planned on making it before departing. If not, water, and I'll wait until we level off.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by davie355

invented rule by the FA

As a general, sociological matter, people from lower class backgrounds have a greater tendency to invent rules to induce compliance in others.
You obviously haven't been watching the White House for the last two years.
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by enviroian
Did you reach out to the operating carrier?
I provided a detailed summary of events. In return I received a dismissive canned response. It was insulting, but provided insight on why so many people are frustrated with AA and become litigious.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most likely...says who?

If you don't stand up for yourself, no one else will. No way in hell I would take crap like that from a GA. Apparently they will have no problem finding someone who will take it, so it all works out for everyone involved.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
If you are alluding to Doug Parker, my recent mileage run to HKG will confirm that many AA flight attendants refer to Mr. Parker as "Chugalug Doug".
Chugalug Doug, DUI Duggie, Discount Doug...

Obviously, the behavior is not acceptable and that FA needs to be talked to. But I think everyone is far too quick to forget, FAs are humans too.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Chugalug Doug, DUI Duggie, Discount Doug...

Obviously, the behavior is not acceptable and that FA needs to be talked to. But I think everyone is far too quick to forget, FAs are humans too.
I respect what you said, and I disagree. The flight attendants (plural) and I were having an informative and private exchange of experiences and opinions. The nickname was part of that discussion and was not my first time hearing "Chugalug Doug". No disciplinary action or "need to be talked to" required.

I empathize with many FA's. They are quite aware of the investment AA is making in some stylish airport lounges while the FA's have to hear complaints from the passengers about seat pitch; bin space; IFE (or lack thereof); food quality; and credit-card "carnival barkers".
allset2travel likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:49 pm

How many times have you flown?

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Maybe it's me, but asking for any coffee drink as a PDB strikes me as unnecessarily high maintenance. The FA doesn't brew coffee just in case someone in F orders it during boarding. They have to make a pot, then dump it before takeoff. How do you expect them to play Candy Crush if they're serving passengers during boarding.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:57 pm

To the "high maintenance" accusation - that is an absurd copout used by entitled staffers who lack the character for customer service.

If there is a legitimate need to decline a request, there are polite ways to do so. Ex: "Sir/Ma'am, terribly sorry we're unable to brew coffee in this short time prior to takeoff. Happy to serve it to you once in the air."
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Sound like someone not cut out for the job. As noted she's not actually an AA employee. Probably asking her if she was not having a good day wasn't a good thing to do. Sometimes you've got to just let it go.
In my experience, the best way to deal with crazy people is to say "okay" or "no" or "fine", something short and sweet that makes the crazy person go away. Asking her "why" or "are you having a good day" or anything beyond the absolute MINIMUM needed to reply just invites crazy people to come unglued.

It's not the way it should be, but sadly it is the only way to deal with crazy people.
JonNYC, KBMIFlyer, AAway and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
In my experience, the best way to deal with crazy people is to say "okay" or "no" or "fine", something short and sweet that makes the crazy person go away. Asking her "why" or "are you having a good day" or anything beyond the absolute MINIMUM needed to reply just invites crazy people to come unglued.

It's not the way it should be, but sadly it is the only way to deal with crazy people.
Not to mention "standing up for yourself" won't probably end well for you. In the end maybe your ego is bruised a bit but it's far better being told to deplane and being given a seat for a later flight, likely back in Y. Also, if the GA is also a bit loony (a real probably) he/she might tell you find your own way home and write AA for a refund. There you will be shelling out big $$ for a walk up fare on another airline. Sometimes one needs to just shut up, swallow their pride and see a bigger picture-namely your not as miserable as the FA is about life.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just remember the FA has the power to ruin your life
its always going to be one sided and the FA will win
it is a sad state and yes the FA do have to deal with a variety of passengers but that is the job they have chosen
i am sure everyone here had to deal with clients that can be a mess but you still treat them with respect
shame a very few FA cant to do the same
apeortdz likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.