Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Would you use AA miles or pay cash for this Australia domestic flight?

Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

I'll be in Australia next month and need to book an internal flight from Melbourne to Sydney. I can get the flight in economy for 10K AAdvantage points (+$14 taxes) or just buy it for $94. Which choice would you go with?

I can get business/first for 20k points... but not sure how good Qantas domestic first is. It's only a one hour flight.

I have like 55K points sitting in my account for what it's worth. Also flying Qantas from LAX to Australia, so should earn some points from that.

Last edited by georgina80; Feb 4, 2019 at 10:40 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by georgina80
I'll be in Australia next month and need to book an internal flight from Melbourne to Sydney. I can get the flight in economy for 10K AAdvantage points (+$14 taxes) or just buy it for $94. Which choice would you go with?

I can get business/first for 20k points... but not sure how good Qantas domestic first is. It's only a one hour flight.

I have like 55K points sitting in my account for what it's worth. Flying Qantas from LAX to Australia, so should earn some points from that.
For a cheap flight like that, I'd pay cash. Save your points for another flight.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
How many points you got and how much does $94 mean to you? We can't decide for you. If it were me, I'd pay the $$$.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Unless you have no future use for your points, 10k points for $80 does not sound like a good deal to me.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Unless you have no future use for your points, 10k points for $80 does not sound like a good deal to me.
Thanks, this is what I was after. When you put it that way, I might as well shell out the money.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Checked using ba points?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
For an hour flight I'd just pay cash.

We flew MEL-CNS in October and used miles for business. We lucked out, as the aircraft changed from a B737 to an A330, with lie-flat seats. We also used miles for business CNS-SYD (cash coach fares were about $250-300, and business $800+).
But then again, I tend to have quite a few miles, so I don't mind splurging every now and then.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I consider 10K AA miles worth worth $140-$160 (USD) so for me no question.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Just checked using QF points and shows 6400 for Jetstar and 8000 for QF flights in economy- a better deal than 10K AA (if you decide to save the cash).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may also want to check Avios pricing - though the airport taxes may make it not worth it as the cheapest routes still cost 4500 pts, but if it is SYD departure, the taxes would be in the $30 region IIRC.
MEL and BNE taxes are lower. So unless you have boatload of BA Avios (we do), it may still be better to buy a ticket with LCCs (QF is more expensive but not necessarily better).

The AA miles for domestic Australia are best for much longer flight and in business class, such as the PER-MEL/SYD/BNE or even to CRN.

QF domestic J has nothing to write home about, and the domestic lounges are worse than some US domestic lounges these days. If you have PP card, you would be far better off to use the PP contracted restaurants in BNE, SYD and MEL, than the QF domestic lounges. I am serious, after our Nov 2018 experiences.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would rate QF dometic in flight service in buisness class as far better than AA - even on that 1 hour service food will be served - boarding is easy and no cabin filled up with upgrades - much better chance of an empty seat adjacent

I would take the PP cafe option in Sydney T3 since $72 to spend in there gives a lot more than will get from a Qantas Lounge - if no PP card, business class will afford lounge access

I wouln't spend 20k plus AUD35 taxes for a 1 hour flight - I would just buy an economy class ticket on the chepaest of QF, VA or JQ and pay for an exit row seat
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy

So unless you have boatload of BA Avios (we do), it may still be better to buy a ticket with LCCs (QF is more expensive but not necessarily better). .
So Qantas and Virgin Australia are about the same price ($90-95 USD). Jet Star and Tiger Air are cheaper... but after adding in the cost for a checked bag, it's about a $15 difference. So it seems that going with Qantas makes sense, as at least I'll learn some AA points.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So Qantas and Virgin Australia are about the same price ($90-95 USD). Jet Star and Tiger Air are cheaper... but after adding in the cost for a checked bag, it's about a $15 difference. So it seems that going with Qantas makes sense, as at least I'll learn some AA points.
I wouldn't be paying $15 to earn 110 miles base plus 46 gold status bonus ( total 156 )

Of Jetstar, Virgin and Qantas, there is very little difference - I would often choose Jetstar since it has extra legroom seats in row 1 , so very good for having a comfortable flight and quick disembarking
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You earn VERY LITTLE miles because of the low fare. You may want to go to AAdvantage site to learn about the earning ratio based on Fare Codes. For the $ you are seeing, chances would be it is 25% of less of the actual miles flown. Definitely not worth the $15 extra.

Give it to me I would choose the more convenient schedule on the date of travel. There is VERY LITTLE or NO difference between JetStar (QF's own LCC), Virgin and QF.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would rate QF dometic in flight service in buisness class as far better than AA - even on that 1 hour service food will be served - boarding is easy and no cabin filled up with upgrades - much better chance of an empty seat adjacent

I would take the PP cafe option in Sydney T3 since $72 to spend in there gives a lot more than will get from a Qantas Lounge - if no PP card, business class will afford lounge access

I wouln't spend 20k plus AUD35 taxes for a 1 hour flight - I would just buy an economy class ticket on the chepaest of QF, VA or JQ and pay for an exit row seat
QF domestic lounge food offerings are pathetic. Sure free (cheap) wines and beers but the self-pouring area is very untidy to the point of being a put off - stains everywhere on the white counter...
The $72 allowance buy you a lot of decent foods and a beer at the PP contracted restaurants - much better option even with lounge access - that is our conclusion after our Nov flight.

Agree on the cost of miles. If it is a West Australia to East Australia, then the 20K is worth it. Otherwise, even the direct flight from MEL to BNE is not reall worth it, esp given the domestic QF lounge at MEL sucks. Even the International F lounge is a big Meh. Apparently QF puts all the resources at the international F in SYD, because the difference between SYD and MEL is very noticeable - from both the size/layout to the actual F&B offerings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.