Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources; see links below to critical IROPS resources.
NOTE: Though many in the forum use "IRROPS", the correct airline term is "IROPS".

"When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee." (aa.com)

Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We need verification this number is still in service)

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)
Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays

Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page

Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.

For FlyerTalk Glossary, select "Help" menu at top of page, select "Glossary"

Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations

Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
 Within the U.S.

Language            Phone	Hours (CT)
 English	800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
 Spanish	800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
 Japanese	800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Mandarin	800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Portuguese	866-824-8717	6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
 Hearing &	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
 speech impaired
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.

From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ

Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?

Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)

AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?

See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?

Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Related issues

NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts can be seen in the 2017 ARCHIVE thread, here

Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)[/B].
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Nice to see that American values their ExPlats as much as they do with non-status pax. The other two legacy carriers would be able to handle the delay change easily for someone without status.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by diburning
Nice to see that American values their ExPlats as much as they do with non-status pax. The other two legacy carriers would be able to handle the delay change easily for someone without status.
Explats are the new gold and CKs are the new Explats!

Jk but it certainly feels like that some days.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I was flying from a small outstation today, connecting in LGA to DFW. The inbound from LGA was delayed >2 hours, but my outbound still wasn't delayed. Since it's a small outstation, I've never seen them do a plane swap. I phoned the ExPlat desk and asked to route through CLT or PHL but the agent said that she can't touch the record since my first flight isn't showing as delayed yet. I stated that the inbound is delayed >2 hours, but she said she "can't see that information." So frustrating! Then once the inevitable happened (about 10 minutes later), I called back and there was a 75-85 minute wait for an agent By the time I got through, all decent options had dried up.
Same situation yesterday flying through ORD. Inbound plane sitting on the ground at ORD 30 minutes before departure time, yet departure still showing as on-time. Alternate plane sitting right there, plenty of seats to DFW, but I can't solve the obvious missconnect that will happen when I eventually get to ORD. Gate agent knows it, I know it, system blocking them from fixing it because the departure times are simply not updated when they are obviously unrealistic.

I sent in the standard complaint form, but rather than complaining about the 5 hour delay I had where I could have gotten to my destination about 30 minutes late, instead I tried complaining about the failure to update data timely, and blocking agents that know the problem from fixing the problem due to obviously false data. The agent indicated that getting lots of complaints about not being able to fix it from customers was the only thing left, they had complained that they couldn't fix problems at outstations due to bad, and obviously wrong data, but that went nowhere.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
AA did a terrible job updating a mix of weather related and maintenance issues that plagued tons of Eagle flights out of the eagles nest at gate 52 in LAX. I was inbound from LHR and had wifi to see that weather in the SW (and even LAX area) was causing delays but those delays were only getting rolled on as departure time came and went. By the time i landed, cleared immigration, grabbed a shower and made my way over to 52, my original flight to YvR was delayed out to 1:45am arrival in YVR!

So i bought a LAX-SEA ticket and as i went to board for that they were still boarding the SFO flight from our gate. No notice on the boards or any annoucment and i almost got my head taken off by the GA and politely asked about the SEA flight. Then they announced a SEA delay and while sitting I heard at least 3 other flights in the gate 53 area with mechanical issues being worked on after inbound delays of the aircraft.

We boarded the SEA flight at about its original departure time (4:40pm) and then learned our flight had only one lav operating and was short a crew member. As a result they only boarded first class and the back 6-8 rows of the economy cabin (so the plane was effectively empty). Also noticed that we had a compass crew with Delta pins on their uniforms, huh, havent seen that before. In first, i at least got a few predeparture drinks to dull the pain.

In the end our plane had another maintenance issue (a dome light in the cockpit) that had to be fixed so we were about 1:45 minute late on pushing back. Then traffic had been reversed to west east takeoff so we had a long taxi down to the ocean side of the airport.

Will have to call up today and sort the refund of the portion of my ticket attributable to LAX-YVR so I can get that credited against the LAX-SEA ticket i bought.

edited to add: Got an email approving the refund of LAX-YVR and not only was it wnough to cover the LAX-SEA economy ticket, it also was a higher amount than what AA attributed to YVR-LAX for EQDs on the outbound. Strange, but i will take it.

Last edited by stephem; Dec 9, 2018 at 9:53 am
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by stephem

We boarded the SEA flight at about its original departure time (4:40pm) and then learned our flight had only one lav operating and was short a crew member.
Hopefully the pilot found his keys after all
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
JFK-AUS 2514 this AM had to turn back to JFK due to engine problems. A colleague of mine was on the flight and the FAs had the pax go through the emergency landing drill including assuming the position.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by george 3
JFK-AUS 2514 this AM had to turn back to JFK due to engine problems. A colleague of mine was on the flight and the FAs had the pax go through the emergency landing drill including assuming the position.
Wow, have to say that would make me a tad nervous.

Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Anyone know if DFW is getting back to normal after yesterday's storms? I notice AA 1351 DFW TPA was cancelled today.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by goldengate
Anyone know if DFW is getting back to normal after yesterday's storms? I notice AA 1351 DFW TPA was cancelled today.
Major problems there including luggage.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
tl;dr: How much of a refund is due when a flight is diverted due to weather and you find another way to your ticketed destination?

Longer version:
My daughter was caught in the thunderstorm debacle in Texas last night. She was on a non-stop flight to Austin which was diverted to DFW, finally getting to a gate after 3AM. When they deplaned she was told to "stand in that line" which she estimated had 150 travelers in it (we saw video on Twitter of the crazy crowds at DFW last night - thousands of stranded travelers - so I believe it). She has no AA status and was not pro-actively re-accommodated. We checked available flights for her and there was nothing until 9PM tonight (which AA was selling for $800!). So she rented a car, got a hotel room, and drove to Austin after a few hours sleep.

So, because it was weather-related, I know AA is not liable for the $250+ she had to spend on the car & hotel & gas & meals (and a missed day at work). But how much of a refund is she owed on her ticket? She called this morning and was put in the callback queue, and they called her back after a couple of hours. The agent told her to request a refund online, but that it would be pro-rated. They did fly her all the way from LAX-DFW. But she did not buy a ticket to DFW, she bought a ticket to Austin and AA did not get her there. The agent couldn't or wouldn't explain the calculation, but she insisted that my daughter would not get a full refund. It was a one-way ticket purchased with a credit card that doesn't have trip delay benefits. Oh, and I purchased a MCE seat for her a couple of weeks ago. Is that upgrade fee reimbursable? She did get to enjoy extra leg room as they circled AUS for an hour.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by ehallison; Dec 27, 2018 at 1:01 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Many morning flights cancelled between DFW and LAX / SFO / everywhere... wow. It must have been a huge mess there this morning. Strange that even now the storm has passed they are seeing big delays... maybe they don't have crews / metal in place?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:18 pm

I was confirmed on AA2555 DFW > ONT with seat assignment and they shut the doors while I was waiting in line (over an hour) for a boarding pass at the gate. I didn't think something like this was even possible.

Edit: my new flight DFW > LAX at 8:30 am was just cancelled.

Last edited by Jsketch05; Dec 28, 2018 at 1:32 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Many morning flights cancelled between DFW and LAX / SFO / everywhere... wow. It must have been a huge mess there this morning. Strange that even now the storm has passed they are seeing big delays... maybe they don't have crews / metal in place?
DFW was still a wreck last night (12/27). We made it out of ABQ with just an hour delay before they got hit by another storm, but our DFW-DCA flight was pushed back multiple times until we finally got a crew. I fully expected to have to overnight there but we made it home 2.5 hours behind schedule. The flight neighbors we chatted with had been there 24+ hours waiting to get out.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
yes, yes and yes.

It was a CF.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Jsketch05
I was confirmed on AA2555 DFW > ONT with seat assignment and they shut the doors while I was waiting in line (over an hour) for a boarding pass at the gate. I didn't think something like this was even possible.

Edit: my new flight DFW > LAX at 8:30 am was just cancelled.
I was on the same, they cancelled AA9243 but replaced it with AA9244 at the same time, I think la larger plane? It was odd to wake up to a text 'your flight is cancelled', but still seeing the booking with just one digit off. 9244 was an hour late, again delayed to crew. (A final cabin crew showed up 45 minutes late)

(The day before two flights to SMF were canceled due to crew. Passengers being told no flights to SMF until late Sunday..>)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.