Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources; see links below to critical IROPS resources.
NOTE: Though many in the forum use "IRROPS", the correct airline term is "IROPS".

"When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee." (aa.com)

Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We need verification this number is still in service)

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)
Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays

Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page

Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.

For FlyerTalk Glossary, select "Help" menu at top of page, select "Glossary"

Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations

Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
 Within the U.S.

Language            Phone	Hours (CT)
 English	800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
 Spanish	800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
 Japanese	800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Mandarin	800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Portuguese	866-824-8717	6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
 Hearing &	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
 speech impaired
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.

From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ

Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?

Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)

AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?

See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?

Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Related issues

NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts can be seen in the 2017 ARCHIVE thread, here

Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)[/B].
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
AA 150/151 ord-cdg-ord cancelled 10/8 , 10/9
i was booked ok cdg -ord on 10/9, had seats 6a and 7a. Rebooked ok crap British airways. I’m beyond upset about this. Now I can’t get any work done on BA .... planes. Anyone know what I need to do to get the EU compensation?
The place to look into EC261 compensation for your canceled CDG-ORD flight would be here.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
1. Don't take it personal
2. EU rules do not work here as the flight leaves the US
3. if you don't want to take BA, tell AA pretty simple.
4. Don't take it personal. I doubt AA wants to leave a planeload of people stranded, but at times, .... happen.
@chicagoflyer1976 is referring to AA151, CDG-ORD, so EU may apply.
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
AA 150/151 ord-cdg-ord cancelled 10/8 , 10/9
i was booked ok cdg -ord on 10/9, had seats 6a and 7a. Rebooked ok crap British airways. I’m beyond upset about this. Now I can’t get any work done on BA .... planes. Anyone know what I need to do to get the EU compensation?
Do you need to leave 2 hours earlier than scheduled? Are you getting back to ORD more than 4 hours later?

If any one of those is true, you may be eligible for EU261/2004 compensation as long as the cause is not 'exceptional circumstances' and the cancellation could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken by AA.

I presume there has been no downgrade in cabin class (other than AA to BA).

Last edited by serfty; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:39 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: American Exec Plat Hilton Dia, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec E, Delta Gold,
CLT Tropical Storm Michael

I don't get it. I'm routing through CLT early this afternoon. I called the EP desk to see if I could route somewhere else... "I'm sorry Mr. Pax, but CLT doesn't seem to be on our list of cities affected by weather." So, while I can change my flights, I still have to route through CLT currently. A quick count of AA flights arriving CLT between 8:30 and 12:00 today yield 179 flights, of which 89 are cancelled or delayed. (more cancelled than delayed.) Departures: 216 with 107 already cancelled or delayed. (Again, most cancelled and few delays.) Most, are on RJs and not mainline.
Slightly frustrated with AA for not being a bit more proactive. I don't get it.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
CLT is a mess right now (2pm EST). AA 787 from CDG was just rerouted to CHS.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by EGSExec
I don't get it. I'm routing through CLT early this afternoon. I called the EP desk to see if I could route somewhere else... "I'm sorry Mr. Pax, but CLT doesn't seem to be on our list of cities affected by weather." So, while I can change my flights, I still have to route through CLT currently. A quick count of AA flights arriving CLT between 8:30 and 12:00 today yield 179 flights, of which 89 are cancelled or delayed. (more cancelled than delayed.) Departures: 216 with 107 already cancelled or delayed. (Again, most cancelled and few delays.) Most, are on RJs and not mainline.
Slightly frustrated with AA for not being a bit more proactive. I don't get it.

I have been watching the storm too, I connect there tomorrow from TPA going to SAN in the early afternoon. I noticed CLT or DL (ATL) has had no listing in the affected cities. Looks like tomorrow will be busy but no issues.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Uzzar
CLT is a mess right now (2pm EST)
Arguably that could generally describe CLT on days with or without hurricanes passing by.

Last edited by enpremiere; Oct 12, 2018 at 3:59 pm Reason: Poor grammar
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
I have been watching the storm too, I connect there tomorrow from TPA going to SAN in the early afternoon. I noticed CLT or DL (ATL) has had no listing in the affected cities. Looks like tomorrow will be busy but no issues.
why not see if AA is willing to switch you on the Non stop to PHX
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: American Exec Plat Hilton Dia, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec E, Delta Gold,
I tried something similar when I got to ORD yesterday. (tried to skip CLT and go straight from ORD to my final destination. The Admirals Club told me a $200 change fee + fare difference would be required since CLT wasn't on the list. I asked her to look at how things were going in CLT. She told me that it didn't matter, as OPS hadn't placed CLT on the list. Got to CLT, and managed to get ticketed for 3 diff flights to my destination. All of my flights were delayed and showing departure times within 15 mins of each other at that point. The good news is, I made it home within 3 hours of my scheduled time.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by EGSExec
I tried something similar when I got to ORD yesterday. (tried to skip CLT and go straight from ORD to my final destination. The Admirals Club told me a $200 change fee + fare difference would be required since CLT wasn't on the list. I asked her to look at how things were going in CLT. She told me that it didn't matter, as OPS hadn't placed CLT on the list. Got to CLT, and managed to get ticketed for 3 diff flights to my destination. All of my flights were delayed and showing departure times within 15 mins of each other at that point. The good news is, I made it home within 3 hours of my scheduled time.
Yes, I believe they would have given me the same lip, thankfully Friday the 12th was a beautiful day for flying. Had some cloud cover around Charlotte but no delays. The boards looked pretty good as well for most destinations being on time.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Delta, UA & Jet Blue have had waivers in place for the nor'easter that's hitting NYC Saturday for hours and AA has yet to give one. What's funny to me is Delta tries to RUN flights during bad weather and AA always shrivels away as soon as the wind picks up - so you would think AA would be FIRST to offer a waiver, but no. I am scheduled to fly with my church on Sat for a mission trip and am certain we will miss our 1 hour connection in MIA. Would love to fly out tomorrow instead, but alas....AA want's to charge everyone $200. I'm done!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:53 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Travel waivers are in place now for New York.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:41 pm

Does anyone know what happened to the OSO phone line? Seems to now redirect you to the regular reservations phone number...
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Travel waiver to/from/through many CA airports extended to November 23...or the day after Thanksgiving. Could be interesting for some.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Travel waiver to/from/through many CA airports extended to November 23...or the day after Thanksgiving. Could be interesting for some.
I tried to change my flights to an earlier departure, but it seemed like everything was zeroed out.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:10 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I was flying from a small outstation today, connecting in LGA to DFW. The inbound from LGA was delayed >2 hours, but my outbound still wasn't delayed. Since it's a small outstation, I've never seen them do a plane swap. I phoned the ExPlat desk and asked to route through CLT or PHL but the agent said that she can't touch the record since my first flight isn't showing as delayed yet. I stated that the inbound is delayed >2 hours, but she said she "can't see that information." So frustrating! Then once the inevitable happened (about 10 minutes later), I called back and there was a 75-85 minute wait for an agent By the time I got through, all decent options had dried up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.