Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources; see links below to critical IROPS resources.
NOTE: Though many in the forum use "IRROPS", the correct airline term is "IROPS".

"When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee." (aa.com)

Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We need verification this number is still in service)

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)
Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays

Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page

Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.

For FlyerTalk Glossary, select "Help" menu at top of page, select "Glossary"

Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations

Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
 Within the U.S.

Language            Phone	Hours (CT)
 English	800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
 Spanish	800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
 Japanese	800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Mandarin	800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Portuguese	866-824-8717	6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
 Hearing &	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
 speech impaired
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.

From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ

Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?

Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)

AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?

See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?

Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Related issues

NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts can be seen in the 2017 ARCHIVE thread, here

Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)[/B].
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enpremiere
In the case of IRROPS, available inventory on AA is no not an issue as agents can oversell in order to open inventory for awards. Just find the routing that you want (on AA metal) with available seats in that cabin and call them up again.

COme on it's AA fault.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
COme on it's AA fault.
AA's fault for not properly educating agents to not tell customers that they are restricted to available award inventory in IRROPS?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by enpremiere
AA's fault for not properly educating agents to not tell customers that they are restricted to available award inventory in IRROPS?
It was sarcasm, sorry
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:02 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/MaliciousCo...ican_airlines/

First of all, hope everyone in the path of Florence is safe!

That said, I had a meeting scheduled in Charleston on Wednesday (today) but it was canceled when the governor declared a mandatory evacuation starting noon Tuesday (yesterday). Originally, flight was scheduled to land Tuesday night and I was scheduled to leave Charleston Wednesday night. No rain is falling yet, from what I'm told, so American Airlines was unwilling to refund my flight despite the mandatory evacuation. They were, however, willing to let me change my flights to a different time in the next 7 days without charge. This isn't helpful as the meeting hasn't been rescheduled and certainly won't take place in the next week. I was told the only way to get a refund is if the flight is cancelled which mine certainly wouldn't be. So I asked to change my flight.. I told the agent I wanted to land in Charleston at 0700 on Friday and depart Charleston that same morning at 0830 - during the predicted height of the hurricane. The agent was confused why I wanted to only be in charleston for an hour and a half but no flights had been canceled so she agreed to switch my flights, no charge. All of this happened last night.

This morning, I got multiple emails telling me Charleston Airport has been shut down all day Friday and they would like to offer me refunds on my flights or help me reschedule. I know for a fact my original flight last night left on time and my original departure for tonight is still on time.

Thanks for the refund American! They weren't particularly pleasant to deal with so I'll fly back on a different airline.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:42 pm

Are Mechanical Problems and Passenger Load related?

Good Evening:

I was supposed to fly home from SCL to DFW today and noticed when looking for seat assignments that the flight was less than half full. I received an email later in the day that the flight was cancelled. I am assuming that they will claim it is due to mechanical problems although when I went to the American Airlines Office in Santiago they said the computer just shows the flight as cancelled but no reason is listed.
Is the light passenger load likely responsible for the cancellation? Also, it sounds like they have no responsibility to the passengers other than eventually getting them to their ultimate destination. Is this correct? Fortunately, my hotel room was still available for me even though I had checked out.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Al
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by SleepyGuy1
Is the light passenger load likely responsible for the cancellation? Also, it sounds like they have no responsibility to the passengers other than eventually getting them to their ultimate destination. Is this correct?
It is EXTREMELY unlikely for an airline to cancel a flight because of a light load. Remember, if they cancel that flight, it has a downstream effect on other flights that the airplane is supposed to then fly, along with the crew. Airlines don't just cancel flights because they are only half full.

As for your other questions, it depends on the reason for the cancellation as to what AA would do (along with your status if you have any).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
It is EXTREMELY unlikely for an airline to cancel a flight because of a light load. Remember, if they cancel that flight, it has a downstream effect on other flights that the airplane is supposed to then fly, along with the crew. Airlines don't just cancel flights because they are only half full.

As for your other questions, it depends on the reason for the cancellation as to what AA would do (along with your status if you have any).
There are airlines who have done this and still do.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Especially if the flight is scheduled to go to the destination and return to the origin.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Wait, wut?

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC

New: AA in the case of irregular operations/schedule irregularity now makes a distinction in how/if/when to accommodate pax on other flights/JV Carriers/OA by elite status CK/EP/PP (and flagship first) in a higher tier of priority/options.
Wow.

PS: Dear FlyerTalk, your parsing of links is so horrible. No love, ever, sincerely, me.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 30, 2018 at 8:51 am
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Anticipating Tuesday (10/9) DFW IROPS

Significant storm expected to hit DFW on Tuesday. I’m originating there for the quick hop back to SAT in the evening and I expect that this route will be ripe for delay if not cancellation. Other than rebooking through usual means, looking for thoughts on best ways to wait it out at DFW, whatever that ends up meaning. I have no AA status. Per AA website, day passes for Admirals Club at DFW currently unavailable. Read terrible things about The Club. Minutes Suites? Somewhere else? Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by crosscountry58S
Significant storm expected to hit DFW on Tuesday. I’m originating there for the quick hop back to SAT in the evening and I expect that this route will be ripe for delay if not cancellation. Other than rebooking through usual means, looking for thoughts on best ways to wait it out at DFW, whatever that ends up meaning. I have no AA status. Per AA website, day passes for Admirals Club at DFW currently unavailable. Read terrible things about The Club. Minutes Suites? Somewhere else? Thanks.
With a potential tropical storm possibly brewing into a low level hurricane in the Gulf, it's not going to be a particularly easy travel week no matter where you're going, especial when two fortress hubs get impacted with a short period of time.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
AA 150/151 ord-cdg-ord cancelled 10/8 , 10/9
i was booked ok cdg -ord on 10/9, had seats 6a and 7a. Rebooked ok crap British airways. I’m beyond upset about this. Now I can’t get any work done on BA .... planes. Anyone know what I need to do to get the EU compensation?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
DL has issued an advisory for Hurricane Michael.

Has AA issued one yet? I'm new to AA and can't find anything on the website.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Waiver posted for:
  • Destin / Fort Walton Beach, Florida (VPS)
  • Mobile, Alabama (MOB)
  • Panama City, Florida (ECP)
  • Pensacola, Florida (PNS)
  • Tallahassee, Florida (TLH)
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
AA 150/151 ord-cdg-ord cancelled 10/8 , 10/9
i was booked ok cdg -ord on 10/9, had seats 6a and 7a. Rebooked ok crap British airways. I’m beyond upset about this. Now I can’t get any work done on BA .... planes. Anyone know what I need to do to get the EU compensation?
1. Don't take it personal
2. EU rules do not work here as the flight leaves the US
3. if you don't want to take BA, tell AA pretty simple.
4. Don't take it personal. I doubt AA wants to leave a planeload of people stranded, but at times, .... happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.