Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources; see links below to critical IROPS resources.
NOTE: Though many in the forum use "IRROPS", the correct airline term is "IROPS".

"When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee." (aa.com)

Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We need verification this number is still in service)

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)
Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays

Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page

Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.

For FlyerTalk Glossary, select "Help" menu at top of page, select "Glossary"

Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations

Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
 Within the U.S.

Language            Phone	Hours (CT)
 English	800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
 Spanish	800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
 Japanese	800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Mandarin	800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Portuguese	866-824-8717	6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
 Hearing &	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
 speech impaired
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.

From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ

Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?

Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)

AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?

See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?

Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Related issues

NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts can be seen in the 2017 ARCHIVE thread, here

Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)[/B].
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by fly2sell
Have an existing award reservation to fly MIA to SKB on Wednesday, September 12, and then a separate award reservation to go home SKB to ORD on Sunday, September 16. They're currently forecasting tropical storm Isaac to turn into a hurricane and St. Kitt's is forecasted to get hit on Thursday. I was able to cancel my reservation at the Park Hyatt this afternoon and Hyatt waived the cancellation charge, but until an AA waiver is issued I'd end up paying two separate $200 redeposit fees (outbound $175 + $25 for second ticket, then same for return). Does anyone know how far in advance they would issue a travel waiver?
Call and try your luck. I was in a similar situation in March when they were forecasting DUB to get socked by snow, but no travel waiver had yet been issued. Would have had to eat $400 just as you describe, but whoever I talked to was willing to waive the redeposit fees after they Googled and could see the obvious. Be friendly. You don't want to re-deposit. Weather is making you do it.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:31 pm

My husband is on United, so YMMV, but he called today to change his connection from Washington DC to Chicago, and also changed the date. He's on an award ticket, they waived all the change fees even though Washington doesn't have an alert at the moment. I pays to be nice, and lucky.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
The same thing happened to me on Saturday. We we supposed to go LGA-CLT-LAS on Friday. I called, got a friendly agent, and they allowed us to change to BDL-ORD-LAS Thursday with no change fees This was on AA, FC award tix. We got nice flight times and good seats together. It certainly does pay to be nice.

I would urge anyone flying from Washington DC down to Florida starting Wedensday to get on the phone now. There is no doubt this storm will hit hard.

Last edited by thebat; Sep 10, 2018 at 9:34 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:56 am

I have a noon flight on Thursday from DCA to ORD. With current wind projections anyone have an idea on the chances of my flight being cancelled? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.85dafce68984

Trying to find info on this but can't seem to find anything reliable.

I'm on a BA award ticket flying American just to complicate things a bit more if I need to change flights.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Hi all - I've got a question on flight reaccommodation due to Florence. I was supposed to fly LGA-CLT-IAH on Sunday morning. This morning after the waiver was announced, I went online and tried to change my flight to avoid a CLT connection. The aa.com site showed me lots of options, but it would only let me change for free to other flights connecting in CLT. To reroute via DFW or ORD was $370.

I called the 800 number and after a lengthy wait reached an agent who gave me a new routing through DFW, quickly and with no charge. What gives with the website?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:51 pm

Have a flight that may be canceled due to Florence. I see changes are allowed, but it's this flight or nothing for me. If the outbound doesn't go, can I get a full refund? Flying out on a BXP1 upgrade to C and back on a 25k saaveraward (which if I'm getting correct info HAS to be on separate PNRs)

If the outbound DOES go, and I'm still in that change window and I can't get to the departure airport due to flooding, etc do I have an option of canceling with full refund?

Last edited by saaveraward; Sep 10, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:19 pm

aa.com seems to have gone into full IRROPS now... completely broken.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Got flight change from NYC to CLT to EU to NYC to MIA to EU. Hopefully enough time at the Centurion Lounge to get a massage before I head out , and an additional 500 EQM's
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Hi all - I've got a question on flight reaccommodation due to Florence. I was supposed to fly LGA-CLT-IAH on Sunday morning. This morning after the waiver was announced, I went online and tried to change my flight to avoid a CLT connection. The aa.com site showed me lots of options, but it would only let me change for free to other flights connecting in CLT. To reroute via DFW or ORD was $370.

I called the 800 number and after a lengthy wait reached an agent who gave me a new routing through DFW, quickly and with no charge. What gives with the website?
The website can only do what's its programmed to do and unlike a human unable use common sense and brains. I am going through RIC on Saturday and tried to get a change back on Monday but it would have cost me. It looks like at least for now RIC will just get some heavy rain, no biggie I assume for a smaller airport.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The website can only do what's its programmed to do and unlike a human unable use common sense and brains. I am going through RIC on Saturday and tried to get a change back on Monday but it would have cost me. It looks like at least for now RIC will just get some heavy rain, no biggie I assume for a smaller airport.
But that's my point - the reroute should not (and in the end did not) cost anything because of the travel waiver. But the website would only allow me to change for free to other flights using the same routing -- i.e., making the whole point of the travel waiver (to reroute away from the impacted area) moot.

For an airline the size and sophistication of AA, this seems unfathomable. I mean, it's not like they've never had hurricanes or other natural disasters to deal with before. Just very odd.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
But that's my point - the reroute should not (and in the end did not) cost anything because of the travel waiver. But the website would only allow me to change for free to other flights using the same routing -- i.e., making the whole point of the travel waiver (to reroute away from the impacted area) moot.

For an airline the size and sophistication of AA, this seems unfathomable. I mean, it's not like they've never had hurricanes or other natural disasters to deal with before. Just very odd.
I suspect if you had called you would be given more options. The problem is AA's IT, not the travel waiver itself.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:49 pm
SST

Really crappy service from AA. They can’t reroute my wife on her way through CLT to join me in Europe on an award, because there’s no “saver” award seats out of SFO, coach/ business/ first, to anywhere, period. What about SJC, OAk! sMF? Nope, there may be seats but we can’t change the originating airport, tough luck. What about co-terminals? Uh, no, these days that doesn’t apply until her flight to Charlotte is actually cancelled, in a couple days...... baloney.

So why did they just send her an email telling her to call them about her travel?..? “Oh, we have no control over what email goes out...”

How about British, Finnair, Iberia? Oh, there’s no saver award space available.

I show appropriate seats seats available On AA from MIA and JFK with a cursory search of AA.com, so It appears AA simply will NOT give up on a revenue seat out of SFO to someplace, any place other than CLT, nor permit their Aadvantage Platinums to depart from another nearby airport even with saver coach seats available. Good job, AA. I feel the love.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SST
Really crappy service from AA. They can’t reroute my wife on her way through CLT to join me in Europe on an award, because there’s no “saver” award seats out of SFO, coach/ business/ first, to anywhere, period. What about SJC, OAk! sMF? Nope, there may be seats but we can’t change the originating airport, tough luck. What about co-terminals? Uh, no, these days that doesn’t apply until her flight to Charlotte is actually cancelled, in a couple days...... baloney.

So why did they just send her an email telling her to call them about her travel?..? “Oh, we have no control over what email goes out...”

I show appropriate seats seats available On AA from MIA and JFK with a cursory search of AA.com, so It appears AA simply will NOT give up on a revenue seat out of SFO to someplace, any place other than CLT, nor permit their Aadvantage Platinums to depart from another nearby airport even with saver coach seats available. Good job, AA. I feel the love.
This is definitely a hang up and call back situation. Try calling again and see if you get a different agent.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by SST

In the case of IRROPS, available inventory on AA is not an issue as agents can oversell in order to open inventory for awards. Just find the routing that you want (on AA metal) with available seats in that cabin and call them up again.

Last edited by enpremiere; Sep 14, 2018 at 1:47 pm
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
HKG Airport Operations AA193 LAX-HKG cancelled 15/9

AA193 on 15/9 cancelled. It was due to arrive HKG at almost exactly the same time the biggest typhoon recorded in years is due in the same place. Typhoon Mangkhut is a big one, and looks ike HKG operations will be suspended from evening 15/9 to probably morning 18/9 according to CX staffers.

Probability that AA193 might not resume until early am flight 17/9

AA are working on alternative routings for me.

Last edited by Nicc HK; Sep 14, 2018 at 8:02 am Reason: Add Title

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.