FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Group 5 on first class ticket but not in F segment? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1954460-group-5-first-class-ticket-but-not-f-segment.html)

AboutTreeFiddy Feb 3, 2019 12:52 pm

Group 5 on first class ticket but not in F segment?

Flying BHM-BOS via ORD in first, booked with miles. ORD-BOS is zone 1 but BHM-BOS is zone 5, credit card holder. I know that there is no first class on this plane but is boarding zone attached to seat types instead of fare booked? Seems odd.

JJeffrey Feb 3, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by AboutTreeFiddy (Post 30735161)
Flying BHM-BOS via ORD in first, booked with miles. ORD-BOS is zone 1 but BHM-BOS is zone 5, credit card holder. I know that there is no first class on this plane but is boarding zone attached to seat types instead of fare booked? Seems odd.

Yes, your boarding group is attached your seat on each specific flight. The fact that you're in first class for one segment of an itinerary has no bearing on your boarding group for other segments that may be in coach.

IADCAflyer Feb 3, 2019 1:18 pm

You mean BHM-ORD?

AboutTreeFiddy Feb 3, 2019 3:34 pm

Yep I meant BHM-ORD.

And that seems like a design flaw. If you're paying for first, you're paying for an experience which includes early boarding. And on this plane that's especially important given that the bins are very limited.

IADCAflyer Feb 3, 2019 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by AboutTreeFiddy (Post 30735700)
Yep I meant BHM-ORD.

And that seems like a design flaw. If you're paying for first, you're paying for an experience which includes early boarding. And on this plane that's especially important given that the bins are very limited.

4 out of 5 bags on an ERJ get checked planeside and then returned on arrival. Its not an issue of limited space. I've never once seen a bag have to be checked because there wasn't sufficient room for a bag which was capable of being stored in those overheads.

Science Goy Feb 3, 2019 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by AboutTreeFiddy (Post 30735700)

But you didn't pay for First on that flight...

Dave Noble Feb 3, 2019 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy (Post 30735717)
But you didn't pay for First on that flight...

If he bought a BHN-BOS fare , then he paid for 1st class for the entire trip , regardless if one or more sectors were in economy class

if he paid for 2 fare comoponents, for the 2 sectors, then indeed he didn't

I don't this that the AA system differentuates between these 2 scenarios though

IADCAflyer Feb 3, 2019 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30735742)
If he bought a BHN-BOS fare , then he paid for 1st class for the entire trip , regardless if one or more sectors were in economy class

if he paid for 2 fare comoponents, for the 2 sectors, then indeed he didn't

I don't this that the AA system differentuates between these 2 scenarios though

You can tell that it doesnt because the miles you earn from the flights which are Y class only are Y class mileage earn rates.

jmj9905 Feb 3, 2019 5:02 pm

I don't know about miles but I have booked f tickets with Y segments on rjs and I board with group 1. YMMV

Dave Noble Feb 3, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30735787)
You can tell that it doesnt because the miles you earn from the flights which are Y class only are Y class mileage earn rates.

That doesn't tell you anything - I have had plenty of 1st class fares where I have had to travel in business class or economy class in some segments , due to the aeroplane having no higher cabin

That has not stopped it being, say, a 1st class rteurn ticket

Crediting miles to an AA FF account is done based on booking class , not on fare basis. I have had fare basis FIF , but been booked in J where no 1st class cabin exists and so earned based on business class

Stripe Feb 3, 2019 5:50 pm

On a related note it seems that if you buy an international PE ticket you ought to get free MCE on the domestic segment. They're both ticketed in P. But you don't.

deeruck Feb 3, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe (Post 30735999)
On a related note it seems that if you buy an international PE ticket you ought to get free MCE on the domestic segment. They're both ticketed in P. But you don't.

What do you mean when you say "they're both ticketed in P"? I wasn't aware that MCE was linked to a booking class.

Dave Noble Feb 3, 2019 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck (Post 30736327)
What do you mean when you say "they're both ticketed in P"? I wasn't aware that MCE was linked to a booking class.

It isn't - I think that the point is that PE allows for complimentary seat selection in advance, however this doesn't extend to domestic sectors which are partof the same booking ans , sppsrsntly, in the same booking class

AndyAA Feb 3, 2019 9:18 pm

I had a case where I booked an international J itinerary. During one of my weekly reviews of my upcoming bookings, I noticed an aircraft change to one without a premium cabin. At that point in time, I managed to snag a pair of MCE seats for free.

Several weeks later, AA called me informing me about the change, and processed a partial refund for that segment, which was surprisingly significant.

After the reticketing, I noticed I would have been charged for selecting a MCE seat. I did not get a group 1 BP for that segment, though still was awarded 2x EQMs

shd9 Feb 3, 2019 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe (Post 30735999)

Not really. If the domestic flight is without Premium Economy, you get booked into Y (or sometimes your native booking class for a PAUP fare). If you are booked into Y, it includes free MCE

EDIT: As FLyingegghead and platbrownguy pointed out, it appears that Full Y no longer includes free MCE, sorry for my mis-information.