Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: epigram
(updated 13 April 2019) - to reflect change in policy as retrieved from https://www.saleslink.aa.com/en-US/documents/Archives/AgencyRef/Schedule_Irregularity_(IROPS).pdf wef Feb 2019
Note: The change does not address the situation where it is AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in Separate PNRs

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs (words in red wef Feb 2019)
Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD- ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.
AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR (words in red wef Feb 2019)
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.
NOTE: AA is one of the airlines (with BA, IB, QF and possibly others) that won’t through check checked baggage with separate ticketing. Such passengers will have to recover their checked bags at the first ticketed destination, and check it in for the second ticket with the further operating airline.

Examples: SMF-LAX on AA, DOH on Qatar, separate tickpeting: Outbound, passenger must go landslide, recover bags, proceed to appropriate terminal, check in with Qatar Airways. On return, QR will through check, but passenger must recover bags after immigration, process customs and turn in bags at customs baggage forwarding counter.

See Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage issues > 2016
Print Wikipost

AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
[QUOTE=guv1976;31137744]
Originally Posted by JMBResona

I think you could/should have been re-routed from JFK/CLT to HEL. Did you mention to any of the AA agents you spoke with -- either in person or over the phone -- AA's policy of treating passengers on separate AA/oneworld tickets as if they were on a single ticket, for purposes of IRROPS? There is no reason why you should have to route through YYZ, now that your itinerary has been impacted by IRROPS. I suggest calling the AA OSO number I cited earlier, and indicate that you want to be re-routed so that you get to HEL as soon as possible.

Edited to add: Suggest that you carefully review Post #15 .
I did read through that post multiple times.
As for the rebooking policy, I went so far as claiming that “the last time this happened, I was rebooked by AA.” From the multiple phone agents to the agent at CLT, they all claimed that such a policy did not exist.

Honestly, the last agent offered me an afternoon departure out of CLT in exchange for overnighting at HEL, and with it being 4AM, I didn’t have the mental fortitude to pursue other options, as sleeping in until checkout seemed impossibly attractive.

Good to know that there are other options, and I’m sorry that I didn’t try them to serve as a datapoint here. At least the YYZ Hilton was available for under $100, though.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
[QUOTE=JMBResona;31137792]
Originally Posted by guv1976

As for the rebooking policy, I went so far as claiming that “the last time this happened, I was rebooked by AA.” From the multiple phone agents to the agent at CLT, they all claimed that such a policy did not exist.

Honestly, the last agent offered me an afternoon departure out of CLT in exchange for overnighting at HEL, and with it being 4AM, I didn’t have the mental fortitude to pursue other options, as sleeping in until checkout seemed impossibly attractive.

Good to know that there are other options, and I’m sorry that I didn’t try them to serve as a datapoint here. At least the YYZ Hilton was available for under $100, though.
Did you ever call AA's Off-Schedule Operations number for re-booking?
Old May 25, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=JMBResona;31137792]

Did you ever call AA's Off-Schedule Operations number for re-booking?

Did you give any of the agents the URL for the policy that is posted at the top of this thread (https://www.saleslink.aa.com/en-US/documents/Archives/AgencyRef/Schedule_Irregularity_(IROPS).pdf)? The policy re: protecting on separate tickets is at the bottom of the linked page.
​​​​​​
I'm pretty sure that the language in the revised policy about both tickets being in the same PNR is a typo: I don't think two tickets -- one purchased from AA and another purchased from AY -- can be in the same PNR unless and until AA takes over the AY ticket due to IRROPS.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, if the OP has a Twitter account, contacting AA's Twitter team might yield better and faster results than the other methods of communication.
allset2travel likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by JMBResona
I don't think two tickets -- one purchased from AA and another purchased from AY -- can be in the same PNR unless and until AA takes over the AY ticket due to IRROPS.
It absolutely can be. I have had multiple oneworld carrier issued tickets in a single PNR on many occasions. It's possible to also mix award and commercial tickets in the same PNR of any oneworld carrier combination, eg. AA award + AY commercial ticket. As a result I've often had PNRs with more than 20 flight segments.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by madrooster
It absolutely can be. I have had multiple oneworld carrier issued tickets in a single PNR on many occasions. It's possible to also mix award and commercial tickets in the same PNR of any oneworld carrier combination, eg. AA award + AY commercial ticket. As a result I've often had PNRs with more than 20 flight segments.
Then I stand corrected. What procedure did you have to follow to get an AA ticket and an AY ticket on the same PNR? If this is, in fact, possible, then it's likely to be a significant (negative) change to AA's policy to protect on separate AA/oneworld tickets.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You cannot take an existing AA issued ticket and an AY issued ticket and combine them into a single reservation

2 separate bookings will always be 2 separate bookings - they will not become one

It may be theoretically possible to have an award flight with a paid flight in the same reservation where both are issued by the same carrier - but that is diiferent to combining an AA issued ticket and an AY issued ticket into one
Old May 25, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Then I stand corrected. What procedure did you have to follow to get an AA ticket and an AY ticket on the same PNR? If this is, in fact, possible, then it's likely to be a significant (negative) change to AA's policy to protect on separate AA/oneworld tickets.
Travel agents can put whatever they like on the same PNR quite easily. The most ideal being you have the AA and AY issued on the same PNR during initial ticketing.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You cannot take an existing AA issued ticket and an AY issued ticket and combine them into a single reservation

2 separate bookings will always be 2 separate bookings - they will not become one

It may be theoretically possible to have an award flight with a paid flight in the same reservation where both are issued by the same carrier - but that is diiferent to combining an AA issued ticket and an AY issued ticket into one
You can't do it with existing AA website/AY website made bookings. There are ways to combine two AA website bookings - travel agents are able to do it. However if you had an AA and AY booking on separate PNRs booked via a travel agent, then it's easy for a seasoned travel agent to combine them. Although the more ideal situation is for the two tickets to be issued in the same PNR outright to avoid that issue.

Besides, if you had an AY ticket and an AA ticket, you would absolutely want to use a travel agent outside the US as non-US travel agents can exempt the US and ZP taxes on the AA domestic ticket when there's international carriage on a separate ticket. It's roughly a 7-8% saving off any AA domestic ticket. The same applies for AS, HA and UA tickets in the same manner - but not DL.

You can have an award and commercial ticket in the same PNR, even if they are NOT issued by the same carrier. For example a QF award ticket issued on QF ticket stock for SYD-JNB on QF63 connecting to a BA commercial ticket for JNB-CPT issued on BA ticket stock. Through-check works just fine in such a scenario.

Last edited by madrooster; May 25, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Old May 26, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The wiki citing if the new policy has me confused. It cites AA-OW misconnects when the tickets are in the same PNR and is silent about different PNRs.

Assuming its a typo seems risky. I’ve had to cite/refer to T&Cs with agents before. Any experiences subsequent to the effective date of the change?
Newbtravelle likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Travel agents can put whatever they like on the same PNR quite easily. The most ideal being you have the AA and AY issued on the same PNR during initial ticketing.

You can't do it with existing AA website/AY website made bookings. There are ways to combine two AA website bookings - travel agents are able to do it. However if you had an AA and AY booking on separate PNRs booked via a travel agent, then it's easy for a seasoned travel agent to combine them. Although the more ideal situation is for the two tickets to be issued in the same PNR outright to avoid that issue.

Besides, if you had an AY ticket and an AA ticket, you would absolutely want to use a travel agent outside the US as non-US travel agents can exempt the US and ZP taxes on the AA domestic ticket when there's international carriage on a separate ticket. It's roughly a 7-8% saving off any AA domestic ticket. The same applies for AS, HA and UA tickets in the same manner - but not DL.

You can have an award and commercial ticket in the same PNR, even if they are NOT issued by the same carrier. For example a QF award ticket issued on QF ticket stock for SYD-JNB on QF63 connecting to a BA commercial ticket for JNB-CPT issued on BA ticket stock. Through-check works just fine in such a scenario.
A travel agent can indeed book segments on multiple carriers in one PNR, and ticketing can be done a the same time, or segments can be added later on and ticketed subsequently. However, it is not possible to "combine" bookings made in separate PNRs initially, whether booked on AA.com or by a TA. Other than dividing all segments in a multi-passenger PNR into separate PNRs, air segments cannot be moved from one PNR to another. Special requests can be added to a PNR to advise airlines of connecting travel to another carrier on another PNR, but, unless booked in SABRE, AA will not have access to the reservation details for connecting travel.

Originally Posted by beachfan
The wiki citing if the new policy has me confused. It cites AA-OW misconnects when the tickets are in the same PNR and is silent about different PNRs.

Assuming its a typo seems risky. I’ve had to cite/refer to T&Cs with agents before. Any experiences subsequent to the effective date of the change?
It's a risky assumption (although seems pretty clear to me its a typo), but in practicality, it is difficult for AA to declare whether the reservation meets the "single PNR" requirement or not unless the entire itinerary was booked in SABRE. When travel is wholly via AA, it's obvious whether it's a single PNR or not. But, for example, a Worldspan connected travel agent booking AA and JL on a "single PNR" would actually be generating three separate records. One in Worldspan, one in SABRE (AA segments) and one in JL's CRS. From AA and JL perspective, the travel is in different PNRs, but the itinerary was booked in a "single PNR" by the agent.

I believe the intent of the policy is to continue to provide protection across all Oneworld connections. Getting AA/OW agents to acknowledge, understand and apply the policy is another story, typo notwithstanding.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; May 26, 2019 at 7:27 am
Old May 26, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
A travel agent can indeed book segments on multiple carriers in one PNR, and ticketing can be done a the same time, or segments can be added later on and ticketed subsequently. However, it is not possible to "combine" bookings made in separate PNRs initially, whether booked on AA.com or by a TA.
So how do you explain a situation where I've had say for example an AA reservation and ticket in PNR A, moved to PNR B that already contains either other AA content, or non-AA content? I have done this multiple times for multiple people in both scenarios.

It sounds like you are on Sabre where it is much harder to do this (albeit possible if you know how to do it). The system I am using (Amadeus), makes it a piece of cake if I have airline authority/assistance to do the merge/move. As far as obtaining authority/assistance from the airline is concerned, the majority of carriers have given pre-approval to do it within a defined set of rules and as such it's not a situation where it's a case by case basis, it's a situation where if I say jump, they ask how high.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green

Hi madrooster,

I wonder how does the last scenario work? Do you just give BA a call and ask them to book the new travel within your QF PNR?
Old May 26, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
So how do you explain a situation where I've had say for example an AA reservation and ticket in PNR A, moved to PNR B that already contains either other AA content, or non-AA content? I have done this multiple times for multiple people in both scenarios.

It sounds like you are on Sabre where it is much harder to do this (albeit possible if you know how to do it). The system I am using (Amadeus), makes it a piece of cake if I have airline authority/assistance to do the merge/move. As far as obtaining authority/assistance from the airline is concerned, the majority of carriers have given pre-approval to do it within a defined set of rules and as such it's not a situation where it's a case by case basis, it's a situation where if I say jump, they ask how high.
I have no idea about Amadeus, but my explanation with respect to SABRE is that the segments were either (a) cancelled and rebooked in the surviving PNR with authority from the carrier, or (b) shadow-booked in the surviving PNR with some status other than HK, leaving the originally booked inventory in tact. I am not aware of any way to migrate active HK segments from one SABRE PNR to another.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by shd9
Hi madrooster,

I wonder how does the last scenario work? Do you just give BA a call and ask them to book the new travel within your QF PNR?
You need a travel agent to do it.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is where high-end bricks & mortat TA's, not OTA's, are well worth it. Couple that with 24/7 backup service, monitoring IRROPS with proactive rebooking, knowing when to find you a hotel and so on, make the expense worthwhile.

Last edited by Often1; May 26, 2019 at 5:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.