Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: epigram
(updated 13 April 2019) - to reflect change in policy as retrieved from https://www.saleslink.aa.com/en-US/documents/Archives/AgencyRef/Schedule_Irregularity_(IROPS).pdf wef Feb 2019
Note: The change does not address the situation where it is AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in Separate PNRs

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs (words in red wef Feb 2019)
Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD- ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.
AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR (words in red wef Feb 2019)
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.
NOTE: AA is one of the airlines (with BA, IB, QF and possibly others) that won’t through check checked baggage with separate ticketing. Such passengers will have to recover their checked bags at the first ticketed destination, and check it in for the second ticket with the further operating airline.

Examples: SMF-LAX on AA, DOH on Qatar, separate tickpeting: Outbound, passenger must go landslide, recover bags, proceed to appropriate terminal, check in with Qatar Airways. On return, QR will through check, but passenger must recover bags after immigration, process customs and turn in bags at customs baggage forwarding counter.

See Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage issues > 2016
Print Wikipost

AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:04 pm

https://www.saleslink.aa.com/en-US/documents/Archives/AgencyRef/Schedule_Irregularity_(IROPS).pdf
The latest policy with effect from February 2019 is:

1. AA to/from non-OW on same or separate PNRs - no protection
2. AA to/from OW on same PNR - protection

It does not deal with:
3. AA to/from OW on separate PNRs - ???
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by epigram
https://www.saleslink.aa.com/en-US/documents/Archives/AgencyRef/Schedule_Irregularity_(IROPS).pdf
The latest policy with effect from February 2019 is:

1. AA to/from non-OW on same or separate PNRs - no protection
2. AA to/from OW on same PNR - protection

It does not deal with:
3. AA to/from OW on separate PNRs - ???
Might be a typo in the current rule. Is it even possible to have two tickets, issued by two different oneworld carriers, on the same PNR?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska, BA
AA to OneWorld protection on separate tickets

Hi all, Ive read AA will protect the connection onto another OW carrier booked with separate tickets. I have a connection through JFK with a 5 hour layover to Iberia. Would I need to call AA in advance to let them know of the connection or does it show up for them somehow?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No.

No need to do anything and only approach them on the day should you need their assistance,
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. There is nothing to be done until you have actually missed and no showed for the IB flight. At that point, you would ask AA for assistance. Best to have a paper copy of your e-ticket handy as it will speed the process.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
My AA flight is currently delayed, meaning that I will miss another AA flight (booked on AY stock, AA flight numbers) on a separate ticket with a separate PNR.

I’ve spoken to two agents who’ve insisted that they couldn’t touch the ticket as it was an AY ticket.

I’ve already HUACA. Would escalating to a supervisor yield any different results? Does anyone have experience dealing with a similar circumstance?
Old May 24, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by JMBResona
My AA flight is currently delayed, meaning that I will miss another AA flight (booked on AY stock, AA flight numbers) on a separate ticket with a separate PNR.

I’ve spoken to two agents who’ve insisted that they couldn’t touch the ticket as it was an AY ticket.

I’ve already HUACA. Would escalating to a supervisor yield any different results? Does anyone have experience dealing with a similar circumstance?
Has to be handled at the airport. Calling will do no good...
Often1 likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMBResona

Have you tried talking to someone with AA at the airport? You could also try calling AA's Off-Schedule Operations number (800-THE-EGGS), as OSO agents might be more familiar with AA's policy of re-accommodating on separate tickets.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Protection across separate tickets is entirely different than misconnects. There is nothing to be done until you have arrived at your transfer point and no showed for your AA/OW flight on a separate ticket.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dls25
In Post #15 , another FTer tells of a similar situation being handled over the phone.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Protection across separate tickets is entirely different than misconnects. There is nothing to be done until you have arrived at your transfer point and no showed for your AA/OW flight on a separate ticket.
I don't think that this is correct. If the first flight is so delayed that it is obvious that the passenger will misconnect, then I believe that AA will re-book for passenger from the origination airport through to the final (second ticket's) destination. That, after all, is what AA would have to do if the first flight were cancelled, and not merely delayed.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you tried talking to someone with AA at the airport? You could also try calling AA's Off-Schedule Operations number (800-THE-EGGS), as OSO agents might be more familiar with AA's policy of re-accommodating on separate tickets.
Originally Posted by guv1976
I don't think that this is correct. If the first flight is so delayed that it is obvious that the passenger will misconnect, then I believe that AA will re-book for passenger from the origination airport through to the final (second ticket's) destination. That, after all, is what AA would have to do if the first flight were cancelled, and not merely delayed.
Thank you all.

To make it clear, my original booking was Ticket 1: [JFK-CLT-YYZ] - (8 hour layover) - Ticket 2 (AY ticket) [YYZ-ORD-HEL].

JFK-CLT went mechanical and I'm stuck in CLT for the night. Currently rebooked [CLT-JFK-YYZ] due to arrive 5 hours after I'm due to depart from YYZ.

I spoke at the customer service desk immediately after landing, and was handled by an agent with a (US Airways) supervisor badge. She insisted that there was nothing to be done until I missed my original ex-YYZ flight, after which I'd be put on standby for the next flight "automatically".

Several things:
  • Does such a system even exist, or is she referring to the flat tire rule? I can't report to the airport until T+5, wouldn't that be too late for a flat tire?
  • If I do follow her advice and leave the ticket as-is, wouldn't the AY ticket as a whole be cancelled? If so, is it consensus here that an AA policy for rebooking of misconnected passengers on separate ticket exists?
  • Expertflyer is spitting out CLT-ORD (AA)//ORD-YYZ (UA) as an alternative. If I push on the phone, would I be able to be rebooked on to this flight? This could get me technically at YYZ within T+2 hours
  • If I contact AY and get the ticket changed beforehand, could I ask for compensation for the change fee?
Old May 24, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Your best bet would have been to address this at JFK. It and LAX are probably the stations most familiar with the policy.

I would suggest trying again at the CLT C/D club tomorrow. They should just put you on a flight to ORD and YYZ-ORD segment.

​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old May 25, 2019, 12:50 am

[QUOTE=dls25;31136809]Your best bet would have been to address this at JFK. It and LAX are probably the stations most familiar with the policy.

I would suggest trying again at the CLT C/D club tomorrow. They should just put you on a flight to ORD and YYZ-ORD segment.

I had a feeling that JFK would have been better, but while the crew opened the aircraft doors, the gate agent told me to get back in the plane...
I saw a quicker CLT-YYZ routing all on AA so I called the EXP line, and she offered to try to change the AY ticket.

She tried removing the YYZ-ORD segment, but was unable to do so as the AY fare was only valid out of Canada. I suppose that attempting this at CLT might have resulted in them fully rebooking me on a new ticket, which might have enabled them to remove the segment.

Oh well, the agent instead moved the ex-YYZ flight out by a day, so that I think that ship has sailed.

Several of things I got out of this:
1) I'm wondering why the first 3 agents all insisted that they couldn't touch the AY ticket. EF was showing availability on a YYZ-ORD flight that would have worked when I was on the ground at JFK. Alas, it was gone when I landed at CLT. If only one of them actually attempted to change the AY ticket at an earlier stage.
2) The last agent was very sympathetic and committed; she was very patient in what became a 90+ minute call. This was my first flight on AA in several years, and while she helped me regain enough faith in AA to not abandon the UA -> AA status challenge altogether, the contrast between her and the earlier agents is alarming.

---OT---
3) Do I have a decent shot at compensation? My domestic business seat also turned into an economy seat...
4) Apparently the new hotel voucher system is a PITA for the front desk. One FDA was incredulous that I'd been dumped on them without any prior notice.
5) AA gave me a taxi voucher that didn't cover the full fare to the hotel. The cabbie let me go without paying, but still...
Old May 25, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=JMBResona;31136881]
Your best bet would have been to address this at JFK. It and LAX are probably the stations most familiar with the policy.

I had a feeling that JFK would have been better, but while the crew opened the aircraft doors, the gate agent told me to get back in the plane...
I saw a quicker CLT-YYZ routing all on AA so I called the EXP line, and she offered to try to change the AY ticket.

She tried removing the YYZ-ORD segment, but was unable to do so as the AY fare was only valid out of Canada. I suppose that attempting this at CLT might have resulted in them fully rebooking me on a new ticket, which might have enabled them to remove the segment.

Oh well, the agent instead moved the ex-YYZ flight out by a day, so that I think that ship has sailed.

Several of things I got out of this:
1) I'm wondering why the first 3 agents all insisted that they couldn't touch the AY ticket. EF was showing availability on a YYZ-ORD flight that would have worked when I was on the ground at JFK. Alas, it was gone when I landed at CLT. If only one of them actually attempted to change the AY ticket at an earlier stage.
2) The last agent was very sympathetic and committed; she was very patient in what became a 90+ minute call. This was my first flight on AA in several years, and while she helped me regain enough faith in AA to not abandon the UA -> AA status challenge altogether, the contrast between her and the earlier agents is alarming.

---OT---
3) Do I have a decent shot at compensation? My domestic business seat also turned into an economy seat...
4) Apparently the new hotel voucher system is a PITA for the front desk. One FDA was incredulous that I'd been dumped on them without any prior notice.
5) AA gave me a taxi voucher that didn't cover the full fare to the hotel. The cabbie let me go without paying, but still...
I think you could/should have been re-routed from JFK/CLT to HEL. Did you mention to any of the AA agents you spoke with -- either in person or over the phone -- AA's policy of treating passengers on separate AA/oneworld tickets as if they were on a single ticket, for purposes of IRROPS? There is no reason why you should have to route through YYZ, now that your itinerary has been impacted by IRROPS. I suggest calling the AA OSO number I cited earlier, and indicate that you want to be re-routed so that you get to HEL as soon as possible.

Edited to add: Suggest that you carefully review Post #15 .

Last edited by guv1976; May 25, 2019 at 10:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.