Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: epigram
(updated 13 April 2019) - to reflect change in policy as retrieved from https://www.saleslink.aa.com/en-US/documents/Archives/AgencyRef/Schedule_Irregularity_(IROPS).pdf wef Feb 2019
Note: The change does not address the situation where it is AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in Separate PNRs

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs (words in red wef Feb 2019)
Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD- ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.
AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR (words in red wef Feb 2019)
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.
NOTE: AA is one of the airlines (with BA, IB, QF and possibly others) that won’t through check checked baggage with separate ticketing. Such passengers will have to recover their checked bags at the first ticketed destination, and check it in for the second ticket with the further operating airline.

Examples: SMF-LAX on AA, DOH on Qatar, separate tickpeting: Outbound, passenger must go landslide, recover bags, proceed to appropriate terminal, check in with Qatar Airways. On return, QR will through check, but passenger must recover bags after immigration, process customs and turn in bags at customs baggage forwarding counter.

See Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage issues > 2016
Print Wikipost

AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
A few clarifications.. I do appreciate the input.. although my post is mainly to document for others my experience should they find themselves needing oneworld protection.

- JL was never involved. AA was NRT to DFW to BWI. AA staff at NRT changed the ticket to BOS as part of customer service. I agree.. great customer service.
- The ticket from BOS -> MAD -> LHR was an Iberia avios ticket on Iberia ticket stock.
- I agree... technically these tickets were not related in anyway.. although because of the horrific delay, they became related. Had AA left it alone, you are correct, this would have been much harder to argue... and quite frankly I believe that the rush/crisis in DFW prevented the agents from looking closely and seeing that BOS was added on late in the game
- We did review the printout at DFW... and everything looked fine. Confirmation with AA EXP was the ticket was fine. BA took it upon themselves to deem the tickets wasn't done right. EXP supervisor to BA station manager... "on our end, this is a valid business class ticket." So the denied boarding was all BA
- Very interesting on the EC 261/2004... as tempting as it is.. I am worried about pressing my luck. We got to LHR in biz class... and earned biz class miles for an economy ticket and award ticket. AA gave us 20,000 as compensation.

So summary...

AA revenue NRT-DFW-BWI.. changed to BOS "connecting to" Iberia avios BOS->MAD->LHR was protected. It took a lot of work. I certainly don't feel entitled to it (although given this was all caused by AA mechanical, I certainly am glad they owned it), I always had a back-up plan, but knowing the policy and pushing with multiple reps.. got me what I needed (and maybe deserved?).

Again, this post simply is to help inform others of my experience and how knowing the policy helped me advocate with the airline. Being EXP certainly helped.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If indeed the paperwork shows that you presented yourself for boarding at IAD with a valid ticket and in a timely manner, you are entitled to denied boarding compensation and possibly delay compensation depending on the delta between scheduled arrival and actual arrival (caused by reroute via DCA and MIA). Certainly your out of pocket for transport to DCA, intervening meals and hotel as appropriate.

There is no "pressing your luck here" as it is a claim solely against BA as the operating carrier, it is cost free and, if BA really does kick up a fuss, enforceable either by CEDR or the UK small claims courts (which permit telephonic hearings). Depending on your delay, you are looking at EUR 1,200 per person, so nothing to sneeze at.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, QR Gold, CX Silver, ITA Executive, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I still don't understand the policy of interline baggage for AA. I have a dilemma in finalizing my travel schedule, as I don't know will I have enough time transferring.

In my case, I have a booking A from Orlando to JFK in Domestic First, then a separate booking B from JFK to LHR in Premium Economy. Both bookings are on AA.
Assuming so, I only have 2 choices from my Orlando to JFK flight, which has a connection time in JFK for either 2.5 hours or 2 hours.

In this kind of case, will I be able to interline my baggage? Or will I need to pick up my checked bag in JFK and re-check in?
Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingroundtheworld
I still don't understand the policy of interline baggage for AA. I have a dilemma in finalizing my travel schedule, as I don't know will I have enough time transferring.

In my case, I have a booking A from Orlando to JFK in Domestic First, then a separate booking B from JFK to LHR in Premium Economy. Both bookings are on AA.
Assuming so, I only have 2 choices from my Orlando to JFK flight, which has a connection time in JFK for either 2.5 hours or 2 hours.

In this kind of case, will I be able to interline my baggage? Or will I need to pick up my checked bag in JFK and re-check in?
Thanks in advance.
Protection (this thread) is not the same as bag interlining.
AA will not interline bags on separate itineraries.
Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If indeed you are still planning on travel to the UK in light of this afternoon's announcement, 2.5 hours is cutting it close for a transfer between tickets (I presume you mean tickets not bookings) as not only won't AA interline your bags, but the deadline for bags for your JFK-LHR flight is 60 minutes. This does not allow an awful lot of flex for you to collect your bags, schlep to check-in, stand in line and get your bags checked prior to the deadline.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, QR Gold, CX Silver, ITA Executive, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
If indeed you are still planning on travel to the UK in light of this afternoon's announcement, 2.5 hours is cutting it close for a transfer between tickets (I presume you mean tickets not bookings) as not only won't AA interline your bags, but the deadline for bags for your JFK-LHR flight is 60 minutes. This does not allow an awful lot of flex for you to collect your bags, schlep to check-in, stand in line and get your bags checked prior to the deadline.
Thanks a lot. I am not travelling to the UK in a short while. I am in the way of amending all my current tickets till September.
Thank you for the information, much appreciated.
I think I will need to chip in more time for the JFK "connection" part.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:36 am

Hello, would I be protected on an AA-to-AA connection, bought as two seperate tickets, if I purposefully bought them as 2 seperate tickets to go slightly under the minimum connection time? What are the rules around this?

Details: I can either have a 90 minute connection international-to-domestic (both flights on AA) or have a 5 hour connection. With global entry and clear and no-bags, I am confident in the tighter connection and can buy it as 2 seperate tickets. But AA won't sell me the 90-minute connection as one ticket because it is 5 minutes less than the minimum allowed time for miami airport.

Worse case willing to misconnect. But I would feel a lot better if I knew that AA would protect me as if this was considered a protected ticket where AA would be willing to put me on the next flight out as if I misconnected instead of asking me to buy a walkup fare.

Also, for any protection, do I need to add my AA frequent flyer number to both tickets (because i was going to add my alaska number). What exactly do I need to do to "tell" AA that these 2 seperate tickets need to be combined/protected.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I’m booked on AA CUN-JFK (in Y) and BA JFK-LHR (in J) a few hours after the CUN flight lands (more than the MCT at JFK).

im assuming I’m COVID world that AA would still protect me from CUN to LHR under this policy if there was a delay into JFK (or reroute me via MIA or DFW)?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Hello, would I be protected on an AA-to-AA connection, bought as two seperate tickets, if I purposefully bought them as 2 seperate tickets to go slightly under the minimum connection time? What are the rules around this?

Details: I can either have a 90 minute connection international-to-domestic (both flights on AA) or have a 5 hour connection. With global entry and clear and no-bags, I am confident in the tighter connection and can buy it as 2 seperate tickets. But AA won't sell me the 90-minute connection as one ticket because it is 5 minutes less than the minimum allowed time for miami airport.

Worse case willing to misconnect. But I would feel a lot better if I knew that AA would protect me as if this was considered a protected ticket where AA would be willing to put me on the next flight out as if I misconnected instead of asking me to buy a walkup fare.

Also, for any protection, do I need to add my AA frequent flyer number to both tickets (because i was going to add my alaska number). What exactly do I need to do to "tell" AA that these 2 seperate tickets need to be combined/protected.
Wondering similar as well. AA saleslink is silent as to if AA connections on separate tickets/PNRs are protected.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 6:57 am

You are protected for missed connections on two separate AA tickets, but they have to meet MCT requirements. You can't purposely circumvent an AA policy (MCT) and expect to be protected.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Just want to be sure I'm reading the rules correctly:

All tickets will be AA award tickets purchased from AA
  • PNR A - JFK-HND on JL
  • 5 hour layover
  • PNR B - HND-HKG-ADL on CX for both legs
Will I be protected and can I check my bags to ADL at JFK or do I need to claim at HND and re-check/go through security again?

I believe I will be protected but will have to claim and re-check bags at HND. Please let me know if that is correct or if I am misreading the rules.

Thank you.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

• PNR A - JFK-HND on JL
  • 5 hour layover
Will I be protected and can I check my bags to ADL at JFK or do I need to claim at HND and re-check/go through security again?

I believe I will be protected but will have to claim and re-check bags at HND. Please let me know if that is correct or if I am misreading the rules.

Thank you.
Since you're traveling on JL connecting to CX you need to ask over on the JL forum as JL's rules would apply with regards to both protection and baggage check through. If you were flying AA then you would be protected although it can get very tricky when you're trying for help in a foreign country with other airlines.

That said, if you haven't booked this yet then you should be able to book those all on the same PNR together (although it will cost 2 awards).
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

• PNR A - JFK-HND on JL
  • 5 hour layover

I believe I will be protected but will have to claim and re-check bags at HND. Please let me know if that is correct or if I am misreading the rules..
JL forum thread-->JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

I would be less confident on CX offering protection, but no direct experince. But 5hrs is a reasonable time with bags interlined.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
JL forum thread-->JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

I would be less confident on CX offering protection, but no direct experince. But 5hrs is a reasonable time with bags interlined.
Thank you. Thinking about it more, wondering if it's best to collect the bags at HND and then check them myself to CX - that way, I know they make it to CX with less chance of something going awry since the change at HKG is CX-CX.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Thank you. Thinking about it more, wondering if it's best to collect the bags at HND and then check them myself to CX - that way, I know they make it to CX with less chance of something going awry since the change at HKG is CX-CX.
Both HND and HKG have modern baggage handling facilities, so if your bags are properly tagged at JFK (ie it shows HND HKG ADL), I won't worry about the bags getting lost much. Collecting bags in HND means additional entry immigration, security check (since the US is somehow a trusted origin for Japan, typically no security checks at HND/NRT for connecting flights if you have onward boarding passes, you get dumped directly to departures), and then exit immigration. I personally don't think the additional hassle is worth it.

Both CX and JL uses Amadeus now - you might be surprised that the agent finds your connection before you mention it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.