Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Avios award booking on AA, AAdvantage elite upgrade possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios award booking on AA, AAdvantage elite upgrade possible?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by beltway
Y’all are making this far too complicated. Delete your BA number from the booking before finalizing it. Then just go to AA and add your AA number.

See the wiki at Booking American Airlines awards for this & other useful pointers.
This. The Finnair trick hasn't worked in years -- it'll look like it's changed, but will almost immediately revert. By adding my AA # directly with AA, I have no problem getting my AA benefits. The key lies in the language of Jon's post:

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage® program benefits
If you don't redeem with any FF number at the time of booking, you'll be fine.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 2:44 pm
BCH

Anyone know: will my Avios booking on AA be eligible for standby or, better yet, Same Day Change? Looking to book a business class flight on MIA-LAX flight but only the early flight is available and I want to go later.

thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2021, 3:21 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Standby yes. SDC no, since it requires a reissue of another airline’s ticket. The app will offer it to you but it will fail.
BCH likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 4:16 pm

Booked AA flight with Avios - Am I on upgrade list?

I am booking an AA flight with avios and wondering, since the new changes to award tickets being eligible for upgades, if I will be on the upgrade list? Or is it just for using AA awards.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kobyjones21
I am booking an AA flight with avios and wondering, since the new changes to award tickets being eligible for upgades, if I will be on the upgrade list? Or is it just for using AA awards.
Upgrades are an AAdvantage benefit.

To be on the upgrade list you need to have your AA frequent flyer number in the PNR. Is that even possible if you've booked the flight using Avios?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:23 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If you can add your AA# to the Avios booking, maybe you'll get on it. Let us know where you see your name on the upgrade list 12 hours before flight.
Amil and kobyjones21 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
im sure you can switch to the AA number through Finnair or Royal Jordanian portal if those still work. Not sure if AA will put you on the upgrade list can you confirm it works?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think some reports are that it does not work, no matter what. I have not heard any reports that this works, getting an upgrade on Avios bookings.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:33 am

deleted

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 1:36 pm
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by beltway
The method described in post #15 above, and in the wiki at Booking American Airlines awards, is one way to do it. (TLDR: delete BAEC number before finalizing booking, then add AA number with AA website/app.)

If you forget, or do not use this option initially because of the one major downside (see wiki mentioned above), AA Twitter reps will make the change swiftly & happily.

Those haven’t worked since forever.

As noted in the BA thread (post #242), the AA T&C state that “you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage® program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats." I have not seen definitive discussion of how that operates in practice.
I just changed a BA award ticket (via finnair) with Iberia Metal to my AA number and its reflected on the iberia site
beltway likes this.

Last edited by Amil; Jul 27, 2023 at 9:12 am
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:58 am

You can choose MCE extra after adding your AA FF, But has anyone got upgraded to first?
beltway likes this.

Last edited by kobyjones21; Jul 27, 2023 at 10:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.